Parks Vic public notice

Submitted: Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:28
ThreadID: 131155 Views:2203 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I see in the "Age" public notices section today that Parks Vic has taken the decision to reduce the camping fees across there campsites, even to the extent of a partial refund for those that have already paid monies to secure spots. A full list of fee changed parks can be found at www.parks.vic.gov.au. Will see how long this lasts before they hike them up again
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:41

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:41
Here's a link.

Wonder what caused the change of mind? Lack of patronage? People not booking on line? People not paying? All of the above?

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 593935

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:59

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:59
Oh Frank. Look at the calendar.
It's a Time of Good Cheer to your Fellow Man. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 862246

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 13:24

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 13:24
Nope, Govt put money back into their budget on the proviso they lowered or scrubbed fees in all parks and State forests. It was a labor election promise. Parks Vic had to instigate fees across many areas where they hadn't been because the previous govt had severely cut their funding.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862247

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 14:37

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 14:37

......."a labor election promise"........ That's exactly what I mean Mick...... aka, 'Good Cheer to your Fellow Man'. ??rofl
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 862251

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 13:48

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 13:48
Its a good news story Garry , and at the right time of year , and even petrol is now under a $1.1 , when I brought my latest fuel guzzler it was supposed to be $2-3 / lt by now , geez we just can't lose lately !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 593936

Reply By: vk1dx - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 18:05

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 18:05
So they should.

Looking at the site a one night at Wyperfeld National Park and in particular the Wonga camping ground,

An unpowered site (the only ones) is $28 for one body a night.

Sure they have a BBQ and toilets (we take our own). But if you don't use or want the BBQ (we take our own), the shelter (we take our own) that is an expensive "drop".

Phil
AnswerID: 593939

Reply By: Member - Dennis B - Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 20:01

Friday, Dec 18, 2015 at 20:01
Hi Robin cheap petrol dosn't equate to good economy, get a diesel
AnswerID: 593940

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 06:24

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 06:24
Please don't start....there are spreadsheets involved. :-)
FollowupID: 862265

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 08:38

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 08:38
One main reason may have been the lack of "policing" by Vic Park Rangers.

We booked online for a three day stay at Johanna Beach Campground in the Otway National Park
back in February. The cost was $95 Concession rates for three nights.
When we arrived, another camper was set up on our booked site as his site was in use when he arrived the day previously. No problem as we set up next to him on another site.

At this time, there were three legally booked campers in the park, Us, him and a friend of his.
By the time sundown had arrived each day we were there, the park was full, mainly by overnighters in their "Wicked" style "poopboxes".

The night before we were due to vacant, a couple of women with a campertrailer were a little perplexed with us residing on their "booked site", until we explained the situation to them and they were happy to set up camp next to us.
Johanna Beach Campground is a great little spot and one of the few National Park places where dogs are allowed in certain areas. The Women had brought their two dogs along and they got on famously with our Border Collie.

There was on large group of young people who had set up a considerable colony of several tents, etc. A group of teenage girls amongst them delighted in running to the eco toilet block together and commandeering all cubicles. These same girls also giggled as they poured water from the rain water tank over themselves by the bucket load without any thought to the fragile environment with limited resources they were abusing.
I spoke to a Parks Vic person who came daily to maintain the eco toilet facility and he said he had no authority to "police" the Park but was aware of the abuse caused by inconsiderate people whom used the facilities, generally free of charge.

A great National Park Campground only spoilt by folk who don't give a tinkers toss to other camp users.
My understanding is that places like this were to have had camping fees lifted entirely and god only knows what it is like now, if no income is generated at all to help offset maintenance costs and the salaries of Park Rangers, etc.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 593950

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 10:59

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 10:59
$38 down to $28/$21 in peak times. Hard to find references to non-peak.
Damn good move.
The major beneficiary of the old fee regime was local caravan parks who jacked up their unpowered site costs to match. I was disgusted to pay $35 or more per night for a patch of grass (or dirt) for my hike tent.
Yes, it's a Govt decision, on equity and access grounds.
AnswerID: 593959

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:32

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:32
The change is a result of the change of government. At first, in April this year, they removed all fees from the totally unserviced campgrounds, with a promise that they would review the rest. This is the result. The "barely serviced" with just a toilet of two are now down to $28 - still quite a lot for next to nothing.

I wonder if they will look at the semi serviced campgrounds. These are charging $50 - $60 for a semi serviced (unpowered) campsite and $67.70 for one with power.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593980

Sponsored Links