HiClones

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:01
ThreadID: 131163 Views:3764 Replies:13 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Useful addition to engine or a waste of money?
Falling down is a part of life, staying down is a choice!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:12

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:12
Put Hiclone into the forum search box Journey, and spend the rest of the day having a read, a laugh and cry.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 593977

Reply By: Kazza055 - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:18

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:18
Snake oil come to mind.
AnswerID: 593978

Reply By: Slow one - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:34

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:34
They make really good biscuit cutters, just a little pricey.
AnswerID: 593982

Reply By: Bob R4 - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:36

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:36
Definitely not a waste of money.
I can supply you one brand-new, un-opened , in box, with all instructions.
Will only need appropriate batteries.
Please forward your banking details.
Only too pleased to help.
Regards, G. U. Mtree

:-) :-)
AnswerID: 593983

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:43

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:43
There are many testimonials to say once fitted you never have to refuel again. You may have to drain some excess off every now and again.

Is this for real?
AnswerID: 593984

Reply By: Hewy54 - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:51

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 16:51
Tried one once. Company had a money back offer.
Used it and tested mileage from Adelaide to Canberra. Took it off on the return journey.
Compared mileage - was worse with it on.
Excellent service from the company as they gave a full refund, no questions asked.
AnswerID: 593985

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 17:49

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 17:49
Can be expensive because the best way to fit them is 5 in line. They claim a 25% decrease in fuel consumption. So if you fit 5 you will have to buy a tankertrailer to constantly pump the 25% excess into.

The only thing they do for absolute sure is empty the suckers wallets.

A better product would be Peter Brocks Fuel Polariser.

See here They were marvelous

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=56374
AnswerID: 593989

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 19:56

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 19:56
Any product description that contains any of the following are sus!

Molecular resonance.
Tuned energy.
Enhanced polarisation.
Magnetic integration.
Energy field. or......
Hiclone
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 862315

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 21:37

Saturday, Dec 19, 2015 at 21:37
I forgot the sarcasm emoticon LOL

Also waterless coolant LOL

Fills radiator Empies wallet faster than it fills anything
FollowupID: 862317

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 20:25

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 20:25
I had one on my RB30 Patrol years ago ...for a very short while (it came with car).
IMHO...it made an excellent Frisbee...and still hangs high up in a corner of my shed.
Wonder if its worth donating to some unsuspecting museum somewhere???

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862371

Reply By: MactrolPod - Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 08:36

Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 08:36
The TV add has an endorsement from a very "reputable" 4x4 magazine that tested them in 2000?

Great marketing right there.

We are all aware the particular mag was prone to actively endorse the company who paid them the largest advertising fee that month.

The HiClone folk must be pushing the boundaries of truth in advertising.

I suggest a waste of money LOL
AnswerID: 594000

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 17:53

Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 17:53
Have you ever read about the test done or know what mag it was ? It was 4X4 Australia I remember reading about it is that the particular mag your thinking off because they were not in the same category as 4WD action and not desperate for advertising dollars.
FollowupID: 862496

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 10:58

Sunday, Dec 20, 2015 at 10:58
Ahh yes the beloved Hiclone , you can easily make your own out of an empty Bundy Rum and cola can and a pair scissors , a lot cheaper alternative and works just as well , ,,,,
AnswerID: 594007

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 13:54

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 13:54
Plus you will get better value out of the contents of said can.
FollowupID: 862360

Reply By: Member - Outnabout.. - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 09:34

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 09:34
I can't believe this topic still comes up. Even more so amazing is the fact that they still advertise regularly on TV. Has to be the best marketing campaign for a useless product ever launched ion this country.

Now all we need is for Bill S (long termers will know who i am talking about) to come out with his magic pelletts again. haha
AnswerID: 594056

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 17:53

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 17:53
Most negative comments come from people who are not willing to try them or just completely refuse to believe it could make a difference,money back if not satisfied you have nothing to loose trying them. I fitted a couple to a 1986 landcruiser sahara 12HT turbo diesel motor yrs ago,the turbo cut in 300 rpm earlier which was the biggest difference it reduced the rpm I could go down to before the motor would labour by around 150 rpm when changing down gears. Over all I used on average half a litre less fuel per 100 km not a big saving but better than nothing it definitely worked.
I tried one in a turbo disco but didn't really notice any difference but I don't bag them out for that. I will try one in my turbo patrol one day hoping it will bring the turbo in earlier, I will post results and my honest opinion when I do this.
AnswerID: 594132

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 19:55

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 19:55
If you look in the throat of a Toyota air cleaner there is already a similar thing in there. I repiped my snorkel in a 100 ser TD and removed all of that and it actually went better with a larger pipe into the cleaner. The only thing a Hiclone does efficiently is lighten your wallet.
FollowupID: 862479

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 18:05

Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 18:05
So you have tried a hiclone then is that what you base your statement on about them lightening your wallet or are you just following like a sheep. As far as the one in your Toyota is that the plastic type that toyota have been using for decades fitted on top of the filter and designed to help throw dust away from the filter so it drops into the dust bowl on the bottom of the filter ? If it is I would leave it in because it is there for a purpose and it works well in dusty conditions and helps to prolong the life of the air filter.
FollowupID: 862497

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 19:33

Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 19:33
I work on the theory if these things were so good manufacturers would install them . It has yet to be proved a bit of bent tin can improve fuel consumption by 25%

Despite you installing 2 of them, Did you get 50 % improvement.

Like Sonic snake repellers I simply wouldnt waste my money.

Hiclones and Peter Brocks Polarisers are snake oil in a different packet.

A bit like taking part in a drug test Half are given sugar pills but still say they made a marvelous difference. Because they want to believe it does.

Half a litre difference over 100km is nothing and could be attributed to different temperatures, different traffic conditions and if thats all you get wouldnt be worth the money.
FollowupID: 862498

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Dec 26, 2015 at 02:08

Saturday, Dec 26, 2015 at 02:08
They say by up to 25% results will vary and they do. Fuel econ can and is related to different conditions etc as you say but I use to keep accurate records of fuel consumption and after I fitted it my consumption was constantly around 10.7 lph to 11.0 lph before that my average was around 11.5 lph running 33" tyres as well. Yes it's a small improvement but it's an improvement which ever way you want to look at it. My econ improved by 0.5 lph on my GQ patrol when I fitted a snorkel does that also mean it's a waste of money because some people don't get any results from there's or are not willing to try one because some one who knows nothing about them labelled them snake oil. I'll take 0.5 lph improvement any day over nothing at all it adds up in the long run . Also on the 12HT sahara a green light would come on the dash when you started to feel the turbo cut in at 1900 rpm that change to 1600 rpm. I also tried one in my 2001 Disco and didn't get any results a friend has one in his commodore and is getting around 80 km more from a tank of fuel another friend put one in a petrol 4cyl 4runner and it improved his power and econ another friend with a petrol Prado tried one a few yrs ago and it improved the power but it used 2 ltr per hundred more so after moving it around a couple of times to give it a chance to see if it would help econ which never happened he took it out and got a refund. So they don't work on ever car which they have always claimed econ and power figure will vary as well they do over exaggerate there capabilities and should be more conservative but if you are not willing to try one for your self and like most people are happy coming up with different excuses why you shouldn't then you will never know. I researched them for 4 yrs before I actually bought my first one so I didn't just jump into it. Give it a chance and try one it will cost you nothing if your not happy with it. But you need to keep actual fuel records over a period of time before hand and during so you have realistic evidence to go off. You could ask why don't all car manufactures fit better inlet or exhaust manifolds extractors or larger exhaust systems to their vehicles instead of their usual small crappy restrictive one's. So basically your also saying no vehicle should be fitted with any kind of aftermarket accessory because it wasn't good enough to be a factory fitted item yeah right that'll work sorry but "so much for you theory" don't think you put enough thought into that one buddy without being rude.
FollowupID: 862499

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 11:02

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 11:02
Basic airflow schematics will show that it is physically impossible for a Hiclone to actually increase the ' swirl ' [ as advertised ] as the airflow is already pressurised and spinning after the turbo , if anything the Hiclone will actually reduce and restrict the airflow..
FollowupID: 862559

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 18:31

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 18:31
It goes in before the turbo preferably 6" - 8" away if possible so as the air is drawn towards the turbo it has already started to spin which then aids the turbo and it will spin easier that would be the reason why I expect my turbo cut in 300 rpm earlier. I'm not an engineer or expert in this field but I figure and hopefully I'm explaining it correctly that Instead of a mas of disorganised air hitting the fins at once pushing against the blades while trying to get thru the turbo which would be generating some sort of resistance and effecting the performance of the turbo because the turbo is then trying to get that mass of air that just hit it and start in spinning which takes effort so the turbo would loose some of it's efficency. The hiclone starts the air spinning in the same direction before it reaches the turbo so it would reduce the force of the wind putting pressure on the blades by starting a vortex before the turbo and it would help the turbo so it can operate more efficiently. Hope I explained that right but I know it worked for my turbo cruiser I didn't imagine it and have nothing to gain by promoting something that didn't work for me. Like I mentioned before you can come up with all the reasons why it won't work, why you won't buy one the only way to have conclusive evidence of that is to try one yourself and be open minded but sceptical about it but don't be completley negative and dismiss it because you don't understand what it may or may be able to achieve when installed in some vehicles.
FollowupID: 862580

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 19:16

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 19:16
Batts , that was the most dribbling excuse for trying to explain an unworkable piece of plastic that I and many others have ever heard , now would you like to buy my Super Copper infused Magnetron that all you need to do is clamp onto your fuel line [ works on petrol and diesel / testing is being done on Avgas by Quantas {note spelling} as we speak ] Will sell it to you at 1/3 price with a 3 day return to sender / no question asked Guarantee for the extraordinary price of just $ 287.00 plus $13.00 post and handling …. YES Garanteed to increase [ oops sorry about that ] Decrease your fuel consumption by ?????? [ However much your brain decides to lessen your heavy right foot on the Go pedal after fitting my brilliant piece of technically useless aftermarket , big $$$ piece of JUNK ] ………….. If that does not suit you , I also have for sale a little bridge in SYdney or perhaps a "smallish" house on the waterfront on Sydney harbour , can't miss it has got big white sails and brilliant acoustics …...
FollowupID: 862586

Follow Up By: Batt's - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 20:13

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 20:13
Obviously you're just here for a sh#t stir I'm not that gullible
FollowupID: 862588

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 09:11

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 09:11
Thats just it Batt's , you obviously are that gullible seeing you believe in the magic of the Hiclone.
FollowupID: 862603

Reply By: swampy - Sunday, Dec 27, 2015 at 10:10

Sunday, Dec 27, 2015 at 10:10
hi
Suppose to give u better mpg and higher torque etc .Questionable at best .
The swirling in inlet airflow promotes improved air and fuel mixing , potentially greater fuel atomization and finally improved air/fuel mix distribution cylinder to cylinder .

I suspect a carburetor petrol engine eg an old cruiser 6cyl engine would benefit most .
I would try one but not at any great cost .

swampy
AnswerID: 594186

Reply By: nickb - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:58

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:58
When I bought my 4.5L patrol second hand it had2 of them fitted. Didn't know what they were at first!!! Took them out as an experiment and there was no measurable difference.
AnswerID: 594230

Sponsored Links