Do you offer help when you see someone in trouble?

Submitted: Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:13
ThreadID: 131174 Views:4220 Replies:21 FollowUps:28
This Thread has been Archived
Gday,
On our way home yesterday we came across a bloke and his young daughter bogged in the middle of a roadside stop about 40km from the nearest town in an Iveco van.
We went over to see if he wanted a hand which he did, but being we where in my Mrs Commodore sedan and accompanied by my daughter and her boy friend in her Commodore ute we really weren't equipped to do a lot other than dig and push for a while with no sucsess.......
Meanwhile parked about 15m away was a caravan with 4wd attached watching on from the comfort of the van without an offer of help.
My daughter spotted another 4wd and caravan a hundred or so meters away in the bush so she went and asked if he had a snatch strap we could borrow to help this bloke out.........not only was that no problem he Jacked up his van, unhooked and bought his land Cruiser over to do the towing to save us flogging the guts out of the Commodore.
Just as we're about to try to tow him out the bloke in the van 15m away comes out to give us a heap of advice.....gee, thanks mate......couldn't have done it without you! Hope I see you stuck needing help somewhere one day mate......LOL

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Hoyks - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:22

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:22
I go out of my way to help people...

unless they fail the attitude test, then I'm suddenly busy.
AnswerID: 594025

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 09:59

Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 09:59
Like he said
FollowupID: 862733

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 13:00

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 13:00
There but for the grace of God......

Last 'rescue' was a couple of hippies in a juicy van in NZ. They'd camped off the road and couldn't get back on over some smooth slippery rock and grass - front wheel drive tarago going uphill....
Luckily he was a hippy because all hippy's carry those acrobatic slack lines these days which are just nylon webbing strap by any other name.
Hooked him up to our hired Subaru liberty and got him going again.
Of course his smelly bra-less dreadlocked girlfriend was way too cool to even speak to us, much less get out and help - typical - the universe shall provide haha.
AnswerID: 594026

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 13:51

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 13:51
Let me guess ... the bloke nearest with all the advice could be called one of those "grey nomads" ???
Time and again we have seen situations where they sit back in their recliners with no intention whatsoever of offering a hand in any way, shape or form.

Different kettle of fish entirely where the shoe is on the other foot.
AnswerID: 594027

Follow Up By: baznpud (tassie) - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 14:01

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 14:01
Come on, i happen to be classified as a grey nomad, and we have helped quite a few travelers in trouble..
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 862361

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 14:10

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 14:10
To be fair, they were both Grey Nomads........the one that helped and the one that only came out to shoot his mouth off after.
But to be honest....... I do find the yobos/ bogans etc down the beach a lot quicker to offer help not just advice. LOL
FollowupID: 862362

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 14:47

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 14:47
Now now Baz ...... don't get your knickers in a knot. Obviously my comment does not apply across the board (there are a few good apples in every barrel).

However I wasn't too far off the mark was I.
FollowupID: 862363

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 15:39

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 15:39
Rosco, presumably you are not planning on ever joining the ranks of the grey nomads. We and just about every other grey nomad we know will - and do - offer assistance. Usually its welcome but there are exceptions.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 862365

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 09:34

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 09:34
Val

I'll let you in on a little secret ... but keep it to yourself. I am more than eligible to join the ranks of this august body.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the majority of greys would be pleased to help. I have merely been unlucky insomuch as I have only encountered the minority.
FollowupID: 862385

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 10:01

Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 10:01
Agree with Hairy in that the 'yobos/ bogans' are often a lot more interested in helping.
FollowupID: 862734

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 14:58

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 14:58
Always help anybody who appears to be in distress. Sometimes I am a bit wary and pull up 40 or 50 metres away and ask one of em to approach me and explain their problem.

I've never had a problem but Its worth being a bit careful out in remote areas. I did put 3 young backpackers in the back seat then piled all their luggage on top of em once. It would have made it difficult for any of them to take any action!
AnswerID: 594030

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 15:42

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 15:42
A few years back my wife and I were heading into Barramundi Falls in Kakadu. Just before the creek crossing we suddenly found ourselves in a traffic jam. Turned out that a young European backpacker and his charming girlfriend (& she was), were stuck in the creek crossing. Everybody else just watching them and not bothering to help.

I went back to my car reversed in and got my strap out to pull them out when a pay loader turned up intent on cleaning up the crossing. So while I was attaching my strap to the pay loader another chap who wandered up to have a sticky asks the young BP if the car was in 4WD turns out it was only in Drive and he had no idea how to drive the 4WD. Turned the switch and he drove out.

Good result and we had a bit of a laugh at his inexperience and lack of knowledge of his vehicle. Lesson learnt.

But what got up my nose was the total lack of assistance offered by the gathered crowd until I waded in.

cheers

Dunc.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 594031

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 22:31

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 22:31
I reckon it's our duty as Australians to help out foreigners in trouble.

Aussie's can get rescued too, however then some bush currency might be discussed lol

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 862378

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 15:49

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 15:49
The answer lies in the question – “How would I like to be treated if I found myself in the same situation?”

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 594032

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 16:38

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 16:38
Sage advice as always Baz.

Cheers
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862366

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 16:53

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 16:53
I usually offer help but I must admit I am always on the lookout for the situation being a bit suss nowadays.
As others have said, if you were broken down wouldn't you like someone else to offer assistance?

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 594034

Reply By: axle - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 17:42

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 17:42
I think its just a natural thing to do in my opinion!, But you have to be a bit wary these days I think, especially in a isolated area.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 594036

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 19:11

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 19:11
Unfortunately, the horror stories are repeated regularly in the media - whereby Good Samaritans have been bashed and robbed when helping others - which makes a lot of people wary about stepping in to strange situations.

It's not the first time someone has waded in to help someone who is stuck - only to find he/they are felons running from the law - and they end up stealing the GS's vehicle or worse.
Then there's the opportunists who pinch handbags and wallets when GS's are up to their elbows helping out.

Now, I'm not saying these types are in the majority - but the 2% makes it much harder for the 98% who are O.K.
I've done my share of de-bogging, repairing, and general assistance for people in remote areas, and I've never had any major problem.

However, in some areas - particularly the more highly populated areas with a higher level of local scumbags - one has to be very alert as to what you are doing, when approaching strangers in trouble, and exercise a higher degree of prudence than one normally would in a remote area.

I wouldn't judge the watcher too harshly, he might have been incapacitated in some form with a long-standing injury that wasn't immediately apparent - which made him physically incapable of major exertion.

One thing I can say - the blackfellas will stop and assist you any time and every time, without fail - but they also expect you to stop for them! - every time they run out of fuel, or forgot the spare or the jack!
Naturally, the help has to extend as far as giving them 20L of fuel, your spare, or your jack, as well! LOL
AnswerID: 594037

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 20:52

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 20:52
I see your point Ron, but this bloke sat in his van while there was only one bloke and a young (around 10 year old) girl there bogged, and got out when we turned up???? Im over 6ft 120kg, long haired beared tattooed type if ya know what I mean with 4 other people.......two being young fit blokes?????? I don't think fear was his issue.
No one asked for any great exertion......maybe a tow, or even a bit of rope..........possibly just a Gday, does the young girl need a drink or something...........na this bloke just got out to enlighten us with his own brilliance.
If he was scared of the bloke and his young daughter he should have helped so he could leave?LOL
FollowupID: 862372

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 20:48

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 20:48
Hi Guys,
I have pulled a minibus full of OS tourists from a sand bog in Litchfield NP and jump started OS tourists at Kalbarri NP. When I had a collapsed campertrailer bearing and stopped at Python Pool in Millstream NP in WA almost everybody visiting the area offered to assist if necessary. In this instance I had all the necessary equipment to repair the bearing. Nevertheless, I do appreciate the need for caution in remote locations. I also recall many times when I have stopped to adjust tyre pressures the number of people who have asked if we needed any assistance.
Robert
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 594041

Reply By: Member - KeithB - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 21:49

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 21:49
What's wrong with braless anyway???
AnswerID: 594042

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 06:33

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 06:33
And smelly and dreadlocked? Plus the 'tude? Cheers, Toni
FollowupID: 862381

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:04

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:04
Bloody good point I say KeithB. Reality, however, combined with sod's law generally demands in my case at least, that those who shouldn't, do. This was one of those occasions much to my chagrin. You didn't miss much ;)
FollowupID: 862424

Reply By: lancie49 - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 22:27

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 22:27
We have stopped and offered assistance on several occasions but only a couple of times was it needed.
We were in a situation a couple of yr ago on the way out to Ululru in the Pajero with the Jayco behind.
We had popped a companion shaft and needed to force it back in and top up the oil in a roadside stop.
It was the second time on this trip it had happened and all I had to pump the diff oil in was a sauce squeezy bottle from the van.
Anyway, me under the van with Anne doing her damnest to squeeze that bottle but with little effect. 80/90 oil doesn't flow well though 1/4" fuel line.
While we were there a tourist bus pulled in for morning tea and while the hostess got things organised a couple of the passengers wandered over to see what was going on under the Paj. They took the bottle off Anne and proceeded to assist with the diff top up.
Great blokes, and when done we were invited to join their group for a coffee and donut.

There really are a heap of well intentioned folk out there.

Yep, we help when we can, most of us would I think, using gut-feelings and caution.
AnswerID: 594044

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 22:29

Monday, Dec 21, 2015 at 22:29
Stopped to help "someone" after dark, east of McKinlay, a year or so ago. As I was in a truck, took about 200M to stop. Get out and call "you need help?" Can't hear because the truck's too loud, so jog towards the vehicle, and a figure in the dark. Repeat the same inquiry, and hear a young female voice. Keep jogging and find an English Rose with a flat tyre.

She's just bought the small sedan in Brissy, and on her way back to her employer's station, north of Cloncurry, together with a border collie pup that her boss has bought. Trouble is the wheel brace doesn't fit the wheel bolts(this car had bolts, not wheel studs?). Just then an old couple pull up, and he runs me back to the truck to get my tool box. I sit in the back seat with their little dog, who tolerates me, only because I keep patting it.

Tools collected, we get back to the sedan and the young lady has it all jacked and ready to do wheel change. Too bad I'd stopped carrying a socket set, so had to remove and install these wheel bolts, using ring spanners. Once finished, the old couple offer to follow her into McKinlay, so all worked out well.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 594045

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 01:16

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 01:16
Bob, I can recall sometime in the late 1970's, coming across an old German bloke stopped with a VW fastback between Coolgardie and Southern Cross.
I was driving our old Magirus-Deutz truck and tandem axle float, which was empty, and I had my big toolbox nestled between the frame rails of the gooseneck, as I always did.

I stopped and asked the old bloke if he was O.K. (he was situated well West of Coolgardie along the long isolated stretch to SX).
He told me in a heavy accent, "da engine, she just stop!". He also advised he'd sent his son back to Coolgardie to seek help.

Knowing how reliable the old Vee-Dubs were, I reckoned it was worth a look to see if I could see anything obvious.
We lifted the engine cover and couldn't see too much amiss at an initial check - so I told him to hit the starter while I checked what might be happening.
He no sooner cranked her over, than fuel started pouring everywhere over the engine! All over the fins and pouring through onto the ground! It was coming from the bottom of the carburettor bowl!
I put my head down and peered under the carby, and lo and behold, the drain plug for the carby bowl was missing!
I thought to myself, "Gee, this might be a hard one to fix! I reckon that drain plug is long gone!"
Regardless, I started to have a look around underneath the bowl - and within a minute, I'd found the drain plug stuck in the cooling fins of one of the cylinders!

I grabbed a screwdriver and re-installed the plug (luckily, it had a tight copper washer that had stayed on it!), and asked the old fella to crank her up. Within seconds, the old fastback was purring and all was sweet with the world!
The old bloke told me he'd only recently had the engine serviced, and it was obvious the mechanic had missed tightening the plug!

He was that grateful, it was embarrassing. He tried to give me $25 (which was quite a bit in those days) but I refused it, saying I was sure he'd help someone else out, if he could.
He still insisted I take something, and I think I took $5 just to keep him happy.
He then said he'd have to roar back to Coolgardie to find his son, and intercept the cavalry!
He spun around in a U-turn and roared off, waving happily, and I don't think there was a happier traveler for miles!
I think it also made his day to see me driving another example of Germanys finest air-cooled products!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 862380

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 14:24

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 14:24
Ah, the old air-cooled V8 Magirus-Deutz
Back in the late 50, early 60s Ansett Freight had quite a few and they went like the clappers across the Hay Plains - and sounded like it too :-) They looked a bit like a Veedub on steroids!
There were also a few painted a light/mid grey on the Adelaide - Sydney run. I helped unload a full load of coke back in Adelaide a few times when I was 17 - dirty job but paid well for part time work.
I used to drive something a little less grand on the Sydney run - a single axle drive Commer knocker semi :-)
Cheers
FollowupID: 862393

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 14:58

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 14:58
Andrew - Reg Ansett made a substantial amount of money from his fleet of "round-nose" ("rundhauber" - round-bonnet) Magirus-Deutzes.
They were built like the proverbial brick outhouse, were exceptionally good to drive, and they were FAST! They were built for German autobahns.

The rear axle on the single drive Deutz was factory rated at 12 tonnes! - and they used a hub reduction system that incorporated extremely expensive, all-position, barrel-roller bearings.
These bearings were designed to cope with axle deflection under heavy load, and they were extremely long-life bearings.

I can still remember the sheer pleasure of driving the old Deutz, as compared to the International R190 that it replaced.
It was a delight to drive, comfortable ride, good (manual) steering and brakes (German Westinghouse air), good vision, and plenty of power.

The R190 was quite a good truck, but it was dreadfully thirsty (2mpg loaded, 4mpg empty), had vacuum hydraulic brakes, and a good hill would see you going for bog cog.
The 406 cubic inch Inter 6 was 145HP and peaked out at 80kmh.
The Deutz did over 95kmh (keeping in mind 80kmh was still the blanket truck speed limit in those days), and it had power to spare, with 195HP on tap from that huge V8.

I actually drove a Commer Knocker from Geelong to Norseman for a drivers fee in 1995!
THAT was some trip, I can tell you! That old Commer had seen better days and the only reason the bloke in Norseman bought it, was because it was cheap, and because it had a Hiab and a tipper body fitted to it!

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 862394

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 07:48

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 07:48
Bob, as soon as I saw young lady mentioned I knew why you pulled up and trotted back to help, good to see you have joined the good sarmatian club. LOL.
FollowupID: 862452

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 07:10

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 07:10
To be honest you must be careful and we am of two minds sometimes.

In some cases it's like telling people back in the city that they left their headlights on. I don't - WHY!! you ask. If they always get "reminded" then they won't learn. Nothing like having a flat battery to teach a lesson. I wouldn't do it in the bush though.

The last time we helped with a flat battery was at Soldiers Point in NE Tassie two Christmases ago. Nice young couple, on their early expeditions to camping.

The last time we helped with a bogged recovery was on the way home from a trip to Lake Eyre and it was half way between Wilpena Pound and Yunta. Shared a sift drink after it. Pleasant wife, strange bloke though.

Yes we will help and especially when remote. But we are careful and won't just jump in without a little caution. Yes it has happened. Who remembers that Wolfe Creek.

Phil
AnswerID: 594048

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 07:32

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 07:32
Hey Phil, I think you are a lot safer if you aren't driving around in a movie....
FollowupID: 862383

Reply By: Raider28 - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 08:23

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 08:23
You have to be really careful. About 20 years ago I helped a bloke with a flat tyre. To show his gratitude he wanted to make a business proposal to me. I thought it was going to be a job of a lifetime and got the old man around to hear it too. About an hour in to his spiel my old man says " is this Amway?" Turns out it was and we sent him on his way. So be very very careful.
AnswerID: 594052

Follow Up By: OBJ - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 09:02

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 09:02
So your best advice now is to avoid travellers in blue suits in case they happen to be Mormons????
FollowupID: 862384

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 10:56

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 10:56
Mormons - JW's - Amway floggers - Commercial Salesmen - Ivan Milat types.

They're all extremely dangerous, and you help them at serious risk to yourself. [;-)

Go on, admit it. Who can honestly say they stopped to help a bunch of broken-down blackfellas?? LOL

I can remember an old Jewish woolbuyer who had a traytop ute, and who travelled around the wheatbelt buying odd bales and crutchings in the early 1970's.
He stopped to give a lift to some blackfellas who were hitching a ride. The blackfellas hopped on the back, as they all did in those days, and off he went.

About 20kms up the road, in the middle of nowhere, the blackfellas yelled out, this was their stop.
So he stopped and let them off, and drove off.
He got to the next town - only to discover the blackfellas had kicked a bale of wool off the ute, and robbed him of several hundred dollars worth of wool!

Gee, you should have heard him carry on about the low-life, thieving black scumbags who had repaid his generosity by robbing him!!
I reckon if he ever spotted blacks hitchhiking again, he'd line them up with the bullbar!! LOL

I think some of the funniest performances I've had, or heard of, is trying help out blackfellas who have gotten into trouble by not taking even the slightest amount of preparation for a trip.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 862386

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:47

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:47
Yeah.....I can. Ive stopped to help out heaps of Blackfellas.
FollowupID: 862387

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:08

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:08
Me too on more than one occasion.
FollowupID: 862389

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:10

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 12:10
Yep, count me in, a couple of times this year along the Great Central Road...as well as travelling with a group in the Western Deserts region.

But then, I lived in Papua New Guinea for a period where white was minority!

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 862390

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 16:23

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 16:23
You can add me to the list. The funniest was when we were heading from Halls Creek to Billiluna before starting out on the CSR.

We had camped the night before in a dry creek bed a good distance off the road. Late evening and into the night a steady stream of cars kept going past head heading towards Halls Creek. Turned out to be a bunch of Variety Club Bash vehicles that had come up the Tanami track.
Anyway we started out again the next morning and every so often a green can would be either on or just off the road. A bit further on the empty carton was in the middle of the road. You can imagine it was with some trepidation we stopped by being flagged down not too much further on by a couple of blacks with a very early model broken down Nissan Patrol parked in the middle of the track. There was also about another 8 or so adults and kids sitting around a campfire in the bush happily munching on a partially cooked kangaroo.
Turned out they had hit this 'roo which had a joey in it's pouch, they were most concerned about the joey's welfare as they had no water for it. It's mum of course wound up on the camp fire. They were also very interested to know if we had an Engel on board. Well the carton was finished.
After stopping they had tried to start the Nissan diesel without much luck because the battery was flat. For some unknown reason the driver had decided to undo all the banjo bolts to the fuel filter and pump.
Cut a long story a bit shorter, we tightened up the fuel lines and offered to try a tow strart. The driver said nah, just stick your 'roo bar against what was left of the back door and give it a shove Going by the condition of that door I reckon that got more use than the starter motor. Now there was no windscreen or any other glass left so it was quite easy for him to lean forward and squirt some Aerostart or whatever into the intake while started pushing this lot down the road. Amazingly it started fairly easily. We left them some water and left them to load their crew together with the remains of a blood dripping 'roo carcase into the wagon. Apart from the fact that their carton had run out and we weren't about to offer any of our grog they seemed a pretty happy little group. I guess the contents of the carton had helped a bit.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 862395

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 17:00

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 17:00
Good one, Pop! They're a barrel of laughs every time they travel, never thinking more than 5 mins ahead.
Brother and I used to live on our gold mine at Higginsville in the early 1980's.
He goes to drive into Kalgoorlie one day in his HJ61 Landcruiser, and a bunch of blackfellas standing by a broken down HD Holden wave him down on the Coolgardie Rd, near the track to Wannaway.
He pulls up and sees the HD has a shredded front tyre.
One of the blackfellas says, "G'day mate, we got a little problem with a flat tyre - and no spare!
Do you think you could lend us your spare?"
Brother says, "My spare's no use to you! You got a Holden, I got a Landcruiser! No way my spare will fit!"
The blackfella looks very crestfallen at this news, and then he brightens up, and says, "Oh! Well, if you can't help us with a spare - have you got 5 litres of oil?"
The brother says, "No, I'm not carrying any oil, sorry. Why do you need so much oil?"
Back came the answer - "Well, when we blew the tyre, it knocked the cork out of the sump! - and all the oil ran out!" ROFL

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 862397

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 22:52

Tuesday, Dec 22, 2015 at 22:52
You're right Ron, it's amazing what they get away with and how far they can in cars that I wouldn't use to go to the local deli.
Also back in the early 80's I was leasing a workshop in a garage in Bullsbrook. Just north of Perth for those not too familiar with WA.
Anyway these 2 black girls in about a late 70's HJ HX Holden wagon with about 6 kids in the back pull in and asked if I could have a look at the rear axle of their car as it was making a funny noise and the brakes weren't working too good. Actually as it turned out the foot brake wasn't working at all and the hand brake was getting a bit dodgy too.
The problem was the LH rear wheel bearing had chucked it in a fair way back up the highway. By the time they got to the garage the bearing had collapsed completely and what was left of it was busily grinding it's way through the outer bearing race and was doing a number on the axle housing as well. The only reason the axle had not gone on it's merry way was that a groove worn by the inner race was stopping it departing sideways. The reason the brakes were not quite as they should be was that the rear drum had travelled so far vertically that it had pushed the shoes, or what was left of the LH set into the slave cylinder and popped the buckets out one end. The front circuit should have worked except that the master cylinder was leaking fluid so badly and apparently internally as well that there was no front circuit any more.
I tried to impress on the yound lady driving how dangerous it would be to continue but because I didn't have all the bits on hand to fix it on the spot and the cost was going to be a bit beyond her budget she decided to keep going as she had rellies just a few k's down the road.
Anyway we found out later she almost made it to the next garage about 8 k's further on and a mob of these "rellies" had somehow managed to drag this vehicle to said garage and were trying to figure out how to get it to their house about another 10 k's down the track.
What happened after all that I don't know but I reckon that garage just might have become the proud owners of one well used Holden wagon....lol.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 862409

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 00:08

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 00:08
We always stop and offer help. Have never been offered, but would not accept money.
Pay it forward" and help the next person in need.

The more remote, the more likely it is that everyone will stop. One couple in a campground in the Kimberley the story of how they had pulled over and the next six cars stopped to ask if help was needed. When the seventh pulled over the lady called out "I just need to Pee".

While we have on most occasions been alone when breakdowns have occurred, we, particularly my husband, has help many to varying degrees. Once we were repaid in full and more - on the same day.

After stopping for the night in a gravel pit along the Tanami Road, we set out on a chilly morning. Not far along the road we saw an old Landrover with the bonnet up, and a kettle on the boil alongside the road in the cold morning air. We stopped, as did the only other three travellers who passed in the time we were there.

One man was taking his older brother, visiting from New Zealand, on some of his favourite outback routes. My husband diagnosed the problem with the Landrover, and they carried the right spare part. All who had stopped cheered as they went on their way, and we moved on past them heading for Alice Springs.

When we stopped for fuel and to pump up tyres at Tilmouth Wells I noticed we had a problem with two of the water tanks becoming dislodged. Having lost attachment screws they were hanging down and the tanks carrying 80 litres of water each would have to be removed. In came the Landrover. They'd had further mechanical problems, but had managed to travel at lower speeds, and came straight to us when they saw that this time we were in trouble.

We were more than repaid in full when the younger of the two brothers went under our caravan and removed the tanks for us. It was not an easy or pleasant task and took quite some time as he kept saying “death by water tanks” with weight in water 160 kilos of water above him.

We spent the rest of the day following their slow progress to be sure they made it safely to Alice.

It can be anyone who helps, as other travellers help each other and we pass the favours around, but in this case we were repaid ten times over by the same people we had helped, and on the same day.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 594076

Reply By: P-Mont - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 00:15

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 00:15
n my young and stupid years, I was stranded in a state forest, bogged to the axles with no recovery gear and it was getting dark. Walked 5km to the main road, flagged down a bloke in an old 40 and he came out to get us. Learned a few lessons that day, and one of them was to always help someone in need, even if they'd done something stupid!
AnswerID: 594077

Reply By: wheeler - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:53

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 10:53
I'll aways stop and offer help. Isn't always reciprocated though. Couple of years ago I managed to get myself well and truly bogged on Cable beach. Hooked up my strap and tried to hail down a passing Prado, who didn't even slow down and drove straight past. Took me about 2 hours to dig myself out. A week later I was heading back along the Gibb river road when I was hailed down by the driver of a white Prado with 2 flat tyres. Guess who it was.
Sorry mate cant help ya and kept going Karma is a beautiful thing.
AnswerID: 594082

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 11:21

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 11:21
Wow, incredible coincidence !
Although it might have felt somewhat good driving past, I feel I would have stopped (maybe after driving a km or so past him and coming back), assisted as best possible, and in the course of the act casually say, 'By the way, do you remember passing me on Cable Beach when I really needed a snatch recovery last week ??"
He would probably have learned a very good lesson in what to do next time, and possible future karma consequences.
FollowupID: 862431

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 16:37

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 16:37
Scored a slow puncture coming out of Parachilna Gorge. TPMS alerted me and I pulled up on the flat. Being 70 now and not as agile as Malcolm Turnbull would want I was a bit apprehensive about manhandling the heavy allow Prado wheels.

Young family of 5 came past in a Pa and asked whether I need a hand. I said I could use a bit of your muscle. This guy was so helpful he took over once I had the car on the jack and had me mobile again in about 15 minutes.

Then 2 days later I was on my way to Arkaroola and came across a Prado 150 (hired from Hertz) with a shredded rear tyre and an incomplete jack. The academic from Adelaide, wife and 3 kids were struggling in the 40 degree heat. I used my jack and wheel brace and got he sorted. His tyre pressure were over 42 PSI. I lowered them all and followed him into Arkaroola. He was so grateful he insisted on buying me, my wife and daughter dinner.

AnswerID: 594088

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 18:35

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 18:35
A nice thank-you!

I helped a young couple once - they had a couple of 12-ish kids with them and he had bogged his Hilux to the pan in loose sand at the back of a dune, trying to drive up a walking track to the beach and slid sideways onto a tree.

He sent his partner to find me, which she did and I drove with her to their campsite about a km away. Found him asleep at the wheel with a Bundy and coke in his hand and a few empties on the floor and the cabin reeking of smoking products other than tobacco.

After a couple of hours with straps, winch and snatch blocks, got him out with no help from him and no damage to his car.

Had a bit of a chat with Mrs who said thanks, but that was it. Not a word of thanks from him, nor an offer of a can or any other "thank you" gesture.

I guess the benefit to me was the practice recovery on someone else's vehicle with no risk of damage to mine. But that's all I got :-)

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 862441

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 18:49

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 18:49
Terry, the way it should be, not necessarily the dinner, but just genuine appreciation of someones genuine assistance :)

That story of yours Frank, just gotta shake your head at that sort of situation.
You did great to keep up the recovery in those circumstances, drunk and high ?
Who knows where that could go.

I hope the kids weren't left with their idiot father in the vehicle, some people should not be allowed to produce offspring.
FollowupID: 862442

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 22:46

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 22:46
Hey hairy long time no chat lol.

You know us Territorians we can't help ourselves, if you are stuck we need to help it is as simple as that.

Take care mate.

Steve.
AnswerID: 594098

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 17:32

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 17:32
Most of the time I have helped people out unless there are others there already I would ask if there ok if they say yes then I'll keep going. I'm yet to charge people for my services but it may happen one day especially after I've towed a few people with 2WD's driving on sandy tracks heading to a beach after they have ploughed their way as far as they can up the track and just expect they will get help because it's now blocked. Over the yrs I've pulled a couple of small trucks out of bogs towed a 4WD 20 k's into Bamaga another 25 k's into Hawks Nest a ute bogged with explosives on board a landcruiser tour bus that nearly rolled on a beach full of tourists very friendly people Asians they swarm you like your a rock star they are so appreciative when you help them, the list goes on and on.
AnswerID: 594130

Sponsored Links