Is music a deterent while driving??.

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 20:19
ThreadID: 131190 Views:2514 Replies:14 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Have been a passenger in vehicles where the music is just to loud!, ..Yep I'm an oldie but you cant tell me loud music is not a distraction to the concentration of driving....As a operator of excavators in the private sector i have seen the young blokes whinge like mad if the radio doesn't work ,its never been a issue to me ,but over the years iv'e seen some crazy operating mistakes made, and often thought lack of concentration was maybe the cause....Makes me laugh when i think back to a old employer years ago(wont say how long :)..who purchased five new katos in one hit, the the first thing he did was rip all the radios out..lol.

Merry Xmas To all

Cheers Axle.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 20:44

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 20:44
Not so much a deterrent, but a distraction it may be for some ?

Personally I don't find it an issue, but some people can't even drive correctly or well when that's the only thing they have to do.
God help them if they need to push a radio preset, adjust the volume etc.

4WDn has distractions, UHF ops, mapping, grabbing a beer from the fridge behind the pax seat, nah just kidding :)

Music can be used as a tool to keep you alert on long drives to a degree, as long as it's not too slow and boring in genre, then it could have the opposite effect.
AnswerID: 594091

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 21:07

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 21:07
I think you mean "distraction" LOL. not "deterent" (sic) ROFLMAO

Yes ..banned on many work sites....and no doubt has contributed to many accidents involving passenger vehicles, but unlike alcohol, drugs, speed you can't generally get busted for inattention until after the fact and then they will blame it on alcohol, drugs, speed etc because these are things that can be measured.

Merry Xmas and may the Force be with you.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 594094

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 21:15

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 21:15
and pay attention ..music or not. This is what matters.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 862443

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 23:23

Wednesday, Dec 23, 2015 at 23:23
How is the "old employer years ago" going now?
I'm guessing he is not expecting 13 hour night shifts from his digger ops or he has gone bust.
IMHO personal or AM/FM music is another fatigue management tool. Good luck running a 24x7 business without it - be it a dirt business, service station or bakery)

Merry Xmas to all (as I sit here in the cape awaiting Cy Stan to kick into gear - then fizzle)

Enjoy

AnswerID: 594101

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 22:14

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 22:14
Interesting! Toni
FollowupID: 862481

Reply By: Nargun51 - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 00:03

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 00:03
I always have music on in the car and always have; volume just enough that I can hear it clearly above the engine to identify the songs.(Never listen to new music in the car because I can't concentrate on it properly)

Half the time I can get out of the car and not know what music I listened to for the last hour or five minutes. Its also a great antidote to sleep inducing drone of the tyres and engine on a few hour's drive.

I find it less a distraction than talking to a passenger and one of my wife's complaints (well, one of many) is I don't talk to her when I'm driving.

iPods or Mp3 players played through the sound system are the best invention since sliced bread; group the music under themes and hundreds of songs can played to match your mood, the road and the destination without having to look to change tapes,stations or CD's

I think talk back radio would cause more accidents than music. Ray or Allan do one of their rants and the driver gets angry, either goaded into it through agreement or through vehement disagreement and while their imagining the script of what they would say if they ever got on the mike, they're two lanes out of theirs, drifted their speed up or down 20kph or a metre up the bum of the car in front.

Doof Doof is just annoying, but people who drive with head phones or ear buds on truly frighten me.
AnswerID: 594102

Follow Up By: Member - rooster350 - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 11:27

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 11:27
Just about exactly the way I feel about car music, I have a usb stick with thousands of tracks/songs/music on it and set to play randomly and at a volume that cannot be heard outside of our vehicle (4x4), loud music hurts my ears and I am already partially deaf in one and do not want the other to go the same way...cheers
FollowupID: 862458

Follow Up By: Top End Az - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 22:27

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 22:27
I too am amazed at the number of folks who drive around with head phones oblivious to the world outside of their vehicle.
FollowupID: 862483

Reply By: gbc - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 06:23

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 06:23
A session of talkback in the middle of the night on abc always keeps me awake and amused while driving. I may be a glutton for punishment though.
AnswerID: 594103

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 07:40

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 07:40
Yeah, can't beat Tony Delroy late at night, for interesting comment and a bit of humour! And the quiz.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 862450

Reply By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 07:42

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 07:42
To counter possible boredom, it's important to have a broad spectrum that includes both types of music, country AND western.

....apologies to Jake and Elwood. :-)
AnswerID: 594107

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 08:07

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 08:07
I always have trouble remembering who wrote or sang the song if it isn't a top hit from years gone by. I enjoy the musiv but don't let it take ove. We have a walkman with about three days and it get played through the in-dahs nav/entertainment box.

We also don't mind an interveiew of a noted scientist, historian or writer etc on old Auty.

Volume - the same as others above, loud enough to understand but not to loud to take over the car.

Phil
AnswerID: 594109

Reply By: Slow one - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 11:04

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 11:04
Have always played music while in vehicles and always will. I don't like loud music when with someone but if they are driving it is their choice.

Biggest problem is adjusting the volume or changing stations while texting. Then again if I had been born a different sex, I could do all that and mess with my hair while putting on some lippy and having a latte.

I love doof as it shakes the mud out from under the vehicle.

The only accidents I believe that loud music can cause is, where our ears need to hear what is going on around. Then again I could be wrong.

Have a good Xmas music lovers.
AnswerID: 594118

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 11:56

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 11:56
What never ceases to amaze me is how the car I am driving, and it seems to affect any car I am driving, is how Kenny Loggins performing Danger Zone (from Top Gun) causes the volume of the music and the road speed to increase. (;-)).

Very strange that.....lol

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 594120

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 13:51

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 13:51
When I'm out of the city areas, playing music is good because it means you don't have to listen to the ABC !!

Oh, those poor country folk !!
AnswerID: 594123

Follow Up By: Gramps - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 16:12

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 16:12
Amen

Regards
FollowupID: 862474

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 16:38

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 16:38
You might be right, Axle, about incidents being caused by radios/music distracting the "operators". However, if on a piece of machinery, I'd like the option of some entertainment, if it's possible. Bit silly on a motorbike or an open cab D7, but graders were just made to have an Alpine, Sony or Pioneer as part of the equipment. :-)

When I'm in a truck, I like a bit of radio, but some areas don't even have the ABC, so the iPod fills a gap nicely, with a variety of "toons". And there's times when it's good to just have the roar of the truck, with windows down and the scenery streaming past. And sometimes, such as driving through the Isa, all radios mute, and full concentration.

Always have the radio going in my ute, just that that the volume and the quality of programs often varies.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 594127

Follow Up By: noggins - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 17:05

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 17:05
Music when working or driving , either way it doesn't bother me.
Except when some DooF DooF pulls up next to me at the lights ( come to think of it , it doesn't have to be next to me for me to feel the vibrations )

I've always wanted to record the handshake signal on a fax , you know the sound that's like 15 angry chipmunks having a domestic, put it on a continuous loop and play it thru a high quality directional megaphone .

Just lift it up , point at the offending vehicle and occupants , squeeze the sound trigger and let it rip at full volume.

My reasoning is , that if I have to listen to your bleep , you can listen to mine.

lol
Ron
FollowupID: 862476

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 17:32

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 17:32
The effects of music on mood and attention have been long known and understood, well researched and documented ....... there realy is nothing new to learn, but "new research" is released pretty regularly.

It does not matter what mental state you wish to promote or induce it can be done with music, ..... this is not only known in modern science, but it was also known in antiquity and is still known in isolated third world religeous contexts.

I have a friend who is a researcher ...... her research is not into the effects of music on mood, attention and conciousness ........ the effects of music and sound are so well known, that they can reliably influence peoples minds ... and the effects and states of mind are the reliable knowns they use in reaseach to explore other things.

The effects of music on mood are no mystery ........ if you are sensible, honest and have any sort of basic understanding the effects are obviuos and as you would expect.

the record companies and the music producers know all about this stuff and have done fa years.

Agressive music makes people agressive, calm music makes people calm and so forth.

There has been some "popular science" published recently that claims to precisely quantify, "optimum driving music".
It is claimed that music as specified will, maintain attention span and improve alertness, without causing agression or putting the driver to sleep ........ sorry but to those of us who have worked in music, theatre or sound production there is no mystery.

The problem is ...... there are many who will deny outright, that music influences their mood, attitude or attention span ........ this too is nothing new.

With the young and although this is nothing new ...... there are several modern music styles that are most disadvantageous to driving and life in general.

Ya think a young bloke thumping out "F#@% the Police" at full volume is going to maintain a calm and objective attitude in the car or in life.
Likewise if you played the same music used to calm people who have been put on hold too long, in the car .... ya recon you are going to be fully allert after 30 minutes.

This is a long and seemingly complicated issue ....... but it is in fact simple and straight forward.

If you are honest and a little bit knoweledgable, you can use music to great advantage in vehicles.

cheers
AnswerID: 594131

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 18:31

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 18:31
So would I be right in assuming there is nothing new to see here and we should all just move right along????

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 862478

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 22:19

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 22:19
not exact;y ...... there is nothing new here ... and we should use common sence/
FollowupID: 862482

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 19:30

Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 19:30
I liki it as a background but not turned up to be intrusive. Our caretaker has talkback on his and turned up so far it hurts. Cant hear anything around you when its like that so I consider that dangerous
AnswerID: 594136

Reply By: DES, LYNLEY & MILLIE - Sunday, Dec 27, 2015 at 20:30

Sunday, Dec 27, 2015 at 20:30
We have a bit of music, but we just love listening to Talking Books.
AnswerID: 594200

Sponsored Links