Big Red Bash 2016

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 24, 2015 at 23:42
ThreadID: 131195 Views:1720 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
We (the family), are thinking of heading out to the big red bash 2016. Myself and the hubby have 2 kids and they will be 2 and 4, at next year's bash. We were just after others opinions of heading to next years event with a 2 & 4 y.o. Is it very child friendly for kids of this age, or should we postpone the trip until they are older?

Thanks, Kattie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 07:59

Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 07:59
Hi PaulnKattie
We went to the BRB in 2014. Had a great time but without kids. Ours are 28 and 25. There were lots of kids there but they seemed to be some what older than yours. Many had a great time sliding down Big Red but apart from that there appears little for them to do. I am sure that you would need a well constructed "entertainment" plan if you took them. Also you need to take everything you to the venu. This includes water and food. Although toilets are provided we found our Porta Pottie to be a great advantage. This year you will need to store grey water or pay to have it collected. The lake bed where we camped contained a mass of small burrs. Just ideal for those "bare foot" moments.
Although these are significant issues the concert was great and we really enjoyed our stay. Taking small children would certainly be a challenge and I am just wondering whether you would be able to really enjoy the event. The "grand parent" option may be worth considering.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 594143

Reply By: TomH - Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 09:21

Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 09:21
We took a 5yr old on a trip to the USA and he doesnt remember it at all. Only flashes when we play the video.

I would suggest the same would happen with yours. You will possibly enjoy it but will do so more later in life when the kids can appreciate what they are doing and seeing.

As well it will be busy and the usual "on holiday" attitude from the masses and may not be the best place for young kids.
AnswerID: 594147

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 18:24

Friday, Dec 25, 2015 at 18:24
I went to the bash this year, Kattie, and it is as much about the venue and experience, as well as the music. Where I camped there were a lot of children of all ages, even the odd toddler, amongst the families. There is not a lot to do for kids, activities that are focused on them alone, but what I noticed was that they were all happy and content, and pleased to be tagging along with Mum 'n Dad. And in a couple of cases, Nan 'n Grandad too.

If you both want to go in 2016, then I'd say go! It's a great experience that will only get better, though I wonder what it'll be like with crowds similar to Birdsville Races(5,000 plus) in a few years time. If you are there for the music, but the kids need you at the camp, don't worry, you can hear Barnesy et al, from 500M away. Just a little lacking in atmosphere at that distance, and you might miss out on some of Wilbur Wild's jokes too.

I'd be going again next year, but another have important time with our kids 'n their families.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 594155

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 08:36

Thursday, Dec 31, 2015 at 08:36
I do believe the organisers are putting on some childrens activities too. Might be worth your while to contact them and ask. Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 594350

Sponsored Links