Carnarvon Gorge (Qld)

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 16, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1312 Views:4770 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Having recently asked on this forum about Carnarvon Gorge (Qld) and got excellent replies I felt I should now say a little about my trip there. I was there on the 2, 3 and 4th June. The information I was given was spot on and I thank those who replied to my original request. If anyone is thinking of going there then make sure you do. I have travelled quite a lot of Australia and it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. It is spectacular and I was lucky enough to walk in the gorge after about 100mm of rain had fell. This was very unseasonal but it made the gorge so much better to see. I stayed at Takarraka Camping ground just 4kms from the National Park. The girls who run this resort should be congratulated on the cleanliness of the facilities and the manner in which they treat the visitors. I was there for 3 nights and had a ball. It rained for 1 whole day and we met some great people at the camp ground as it was too wet to walk on the day. I shouldn't be bias but it was one of my all time favourite spots in Australia and I have seen a fair bit if it over the years. If anyone is heading to Queensland then take the time to go there as it is a bit off the normal North/South roads that most tourists take but well worth spending a few days there and absorb one of Australia's greatest landmarks in my opinion.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graham - Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 23, 2002 at 00:00
We were ther 3rd 4th 5th June......so may have passed you on one of our walks....and your right about it being a place to visit, definately a must if passing that way, and the rain did make the steams and waterfalls look good.

For those like us who travel with our dog and can't stay at Takarraka, (or if towing dont want to take the caravan over the gravel road into the gorge) then a cattle station nearby has Camping, its on the highway 13km south of the turn off to the gorge, and calls itself Warremba Farm Stay & Camping ( It also has some walks into gorge areas.) It has some powered sites available as well and terffic ensuite type bathrooms, and large camp kitchen. Its very relaxing and laid back place to camp.

enjoy.....
AnswerID: 4371

Sponsored Links