Vic high country trek.

Hi folks. Thinking of doing this trek from Mansfield to dargo or thereabouts and read the trek note. Just wondering if camper trailers are allowed or not. The trek shows a pic of a 4wd but not sure if that means vehicles only. I intend to do it in dry season but I know the weather can turn up there. Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malcolm 02 - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 10:40

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 10:40
In 2008 we picked up our Tvan from Melbourne and drove home via Mansfield, Wonnangatta and Dargo. A terrific introduction to camper trailer living.
I was advised that traveling via Merrijig was very tight with the switch backs so drove in via Dangdongadale which was a breeze. We choose to drive out via the historic Talbotville site which was slightly less steep and didn't have the risk of a deep ford (we didn't have a snorkel).
I didn't let down my tires and was losing traction slightly at times on the steep stuff (ie I advise letting some air out) and because I was in a auto I gave the trans time to cool on every hump we went over.
Also because of the long steep climbs in low range expect to use a lot more fuel than usual.
Otherwise one of the best trips ever.

Happy new Year
Mal
AnswerID: 594224

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:00

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:00
Thanks mal. Same to you. I always let air out of tyres even on gravel roads. The country in that area looks awesome. Looking forward to it. Cheers
FollowupID: 862562

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:35

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:35
Kirk, when are you headed over ?
Doesn't sound like the immediate future, but if next week and I do go on an Earth trip 1st-10th Jan (still not sure about the timing with a couple of issues) and see the red Nav towing camper, will give you a hoy.
We'd be 4 or 5 vehicles, the plan is Mansfield arrival 2nd morn, through Mt Buller and tracks to Bluff / Lovicks, King Billy, Butcher country around to Murrindindi, Toolangi, maybe Wombats if time.
AnswerID: 594229

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 13:37

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 13:37
Hi Les. Will be leaving mid Jan but spending a few weeks in south west so won't be over there till maybe mid February. Thanks for the offer. Have a good trip.
FollowupID: 862566

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 13:55

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 13:55
Cheers Kirk, was just going to say hello, not sure a trailer would be wise to take with our non towing group.
Have a good trip, and hope the weather is kind when you go, usually is a good 10 degrees cooler up there at least.
FollowupID: 862567

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:29

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:29
Hey Les just a quick question. Sounds like you know the area. How strict are they on dogs. Do they have check points when you go into park. Would I have any chance of just driving through that area and camping somewhere outside the national park. Dogs can be very restrictive but she is my best mate and bought her as a companion. Cheers
FollowupID: 862606

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:50

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:50
G'day Kirk, I have bushwalked through the Alpine Nat Pk a lot, but I've never driven through there as a 4WD trip, only going through a couple of main routes by vehicle with a couple of food drops one time, and some other drop off / pick ups on other trips . . . why I'm really keen to get there for a proper drive, trying to work through things and join the Friday departure.

Mate dogs are family, aren't they ?
One of the reasons I might not make the Earth trip is our sons (who still lives with us) Golden Retriever is now over 13 and getting close to passing, wife and I are not sure we want to be that far away if his time comes, or leave him in the fairly warm weather while son / daughter can't be home with work etc.
I also have a bushwalking mate of 22 years that is getting close to leaving us (to cancer).

I reckon they'd be very strict on dogs anywhere in the National Parks, other reserves etc, not so sure.

We did an Earth day trip here in SA down the Fleurieu Peninsula, ended up as planned at Deep Ck Conservation Park for lunch.
Unknown to organisers, one fellow had his dog in his 4WD, which didn't come out while in the park, a Ranger came by, saw dog, and he was fined !

Some parks you can drive through without stopping and it's ok.

I would look at your map, see what the deal is with parks etc you want to go through, contact the relevant authority and ask personally.
I think state forests are ok with dogs, but they likely have rules such as on leads or under control etc.
FollowupID: 862607

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 11:26

Tuesday, Dec 29, 2015 at 11:26
Thanks lot for that Les. My last a dog was a beautiful goldy. This time I wanted something with a bit more go so got a kelpie and she never stops! Walk 5k and then she wants to chase a ball. I will give parks a ring and also get a good map and plan a route accordingly. All the best with your mate and the dog. Both your mates. Hope you get to do the trip. Cheers.
FollowupID: 862608

Reply By: Member - KeithB - Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 15:05

Monday, Dec 28, 2015 at 15:05
We were there two weeks ago and camped at Wonnangatta after coming in from Myrtleford, which is said the be the preferred route with a camper trailer. We had no problems getting in our out with camper in tow, by I'd imagine things would change quickly after a bit of rain.
We let our tyres down and carried off road chains just in case.
AnswerID: 594234

Sponsored Links