4runner info

Submitted: Monday, May 24, 2004 at 17:00
ThreadID: 13124 Views:2531 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Ryan,

hey, i have been looking at buying a 4runner for a while now as a first car that would be used mainly in sand and on road and i am just wondering what models have quirks about them and what they are and if they perform well offroad or in sand. What models would be the most reliable? also i was wondering if SR5 4runners were the same as in hilux SR5's and dont have leaf sprung suspension( as i have heard). Is this True? and if so would a body and suspension lift cost more as a result of the suspension not being leaf sprung?

thanx alot, i need all the info i can get on 4runners.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 18:14

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 18:14
Hi Ryan , I had a 1993 4 runner (not the surf ) with 3lt v6 it was a great 4x4 and got me every where , the only draw back was it was Petrol and really cost $ when towing a camper trailor ,the other thing was they only come with a 65lt tank so a long range tank is a must if you really want to get out there, approx $900 fitted from OPP Lock . Spear Parts were easy to get . They are a great first car and I am sure that you will love it , have a good look for cracks around the front gards as I have heard this can be a problem if it has really done some hard off road work.
AnswerID: 59938

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 19:18

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 19:18
The 4 runners, well 90's ones anyway don't have leaf springs, they are IFS at the front end and Coils in the rear, same as my Smurf. Great trucks, be careful as the 3.0L V6 had a recall for a problem that blue head gaskets, not sure of the years of manufacture, Toyota did repair/mod them, probally worth checking it out anyway. But I agree with Peter, the small tank is a pain in the arse, I have diesel and still find I take 1 or 2 Jerrys on most trips just in case!
AnswerID: 59948

Follow Up By: Ryan01 - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 17:46

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 17:46
Thanx alot for the info Jeff and Peter,
Jeff, just wondering what kind of mods u have done to your surf and in particular suspension and/or body lifts. and roughly how much would or did they cost?
FollowupID: 321691

Reply By: Longy - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 17:42

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 17:42
G'day Ryan,
I've got a 1995 Rv6 4runner and found it to be a great car both on road and off road. People are right when they talk about the small fuel tank, but depending on where you wanna go there is always planty of room for jerry cans. I'm heading outback nsw and qld in July and we'll be taking 3 20lt jerry cans with us.

The problem with the head gasket was from the years 92-94 only on the V6. Lucky I got a 95.

I know there are a heaps of 4runners done up over in the states if u wanna have a look at how sweet they are. Check out www.cardomain.com

ALso the ifs isn't a real problem as it's still rather flexy. Depending on where u want to take it.

Many 4runners suffer from a sag in the arse and this not only looks bad but is not safe, but if you're going to life it anyway u might not care.

Hope that helps out a little.

Paul.
AnswerID: 60096

Follow Up By: Ryan01 - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 17:59

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 17:59
Thanx paul, just the info i needed.
i have been to cardomain.com before and checked out most of the 4runners, the 4runner's are SWEET but the pricing doesnt help me much as it is American. Do u know of any sites that have a range of 4runner parts, mods and the prices? or if u have done any mods and could tell me round about the price range of yours.

thanks alot for the help.
FollowupID: 321695

Follow Up By: Longy - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 17:08

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2004 at 17:08
hey Ryan sorry took a while to get back to you, I have a dual battery system using a redarc isolator, was installed by local 4x4 shop as I didn't have a clue about what to do etc. Not very electrical minded. ALso had a safari snorkel fitted. cost varried depending on what shop u look in.
Arb and Tjm quoted bout $680 fitted
Local place quoted $550 fitted. So really depends on the place and I guess if u go and speak to them tell them you'll get everything from them you can strike up a good deal.

Websites in Aus for 4runners. Have found one guy who's on another forum from 4wdmonthly.com.au and he's site has heaps of stuff bout his truck and his modifications. havne't as yet emailed the bloke or spoke to him but seems as though he knows what's going on

http://www.boosted4runner.com/

Will be looking to raise mine at the end of the year when I get some more cashflow.

Hope this helps mate.
FollowupID: 322836

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:21

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:21
Yeah the first thing I did to the surf when I bought it was pay the local suspension guy $200. He put new heavy duty springs in and she stopped scraping the toe ball on the ground. Best $200 I could have spend.
If you have a look my rig pic/info you'll see there are plenty of mods done to my surf, however I am still running the stock shocks after 96,000kms and nearly 10 years! They are still holding out very well. Very little bounce even when fully loaded, the front torsion bar I think may be leaking (if they do) as there is some moisture around it. Other than that everything is suspension wise is stock. A lift would be nice but it just only fits in the garage as it is (literally mm's in it) and with all the gear in it I like it locked away.
Besides I go everywhere the big boys do and pretty much don't ever bottom out, sometimes I whak the tow bar as the departure angle on this body sucks (the back wheels are way to far forward). (hence why I got to the exaust pipe with an angle grinder!) :-)
But if you do want to lift it it'll cost you roughly $1000. All you need is four new shocks, two new springs at the back and wind up the tortion bar and do a wheel alignment. The other thin I have seen people doing lately is putting 16" prado alloys on surfs/4runners instead of the factory 15". There is plenty of room for the bigger wheels in the arches even at stock height and it makes them look a lot bigger and grunty plus gives you more clearence without compromising centre of gravity so much.
AnswerID: 60120

Reply By: sixten - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 23:24

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 23:24
Ryan
I am on my 2nd 4runner. The first was an -88, 2,4L diesel. That was in the late 90's when I lived in Cairns.
After some years in a company 100 series cruiser I now have an 89 4runner, again a 2,4l diesel.
The current one has a few more mods than the first. It has OME shocks, as far as I know fitted 1990, still OK. A rear ARB diff lock. A 130 or so liter tank. The large tank was a blessing on a trip from Sydney back home to Perth a few weeks ago. I could fuel up in Port Agusta cheep and bypass all the $1.30/L petrol stations on the Nullabor and fill up again in Norsman for 92c.
Beeing based in WA we do a lot of sand driving.
Planned mods are :
Aircon. Turbo, 2,4 diesels lacks power big time. New rear springs (starting to sag a bit, as a lot of 4runners) and a snorkel. Most can be picked up at a wreckers quite cheap, but the springs will be OME new ones. Might stretch it and replace the OME shocks that have done 200.000km.
All in all it's a bullet proof rigg if it has been serviced properly. Spares are easy to find. It is an easy rig to work on.
Good luck with your purchase
Cheers
Sixten
AnswerID: 60180

Sponsored Links