Oil leak?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 20:42
ThreadID: 131260 Views:3785 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, hope everyone had a great new year..
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this.. We towed the camp trailer, back home, up Elliot Way, through the Snowy mountains, it was quite a hot day, when we got home, the camp trailer had oil spots on the stone guard flaps, wasn't from the exhaust, as was on both sides. When I crawled under the car, I noticed a drip on the transfer case, and could see the fuel tank and rear diff had oil on them.. Could this just be from excess oil in the transfer, along with high day time temperatures, and steep hills through the mountains.. I've cleaned it all, and haven't noticed any more leaking.. It's a prado 150 gxl with the 6 speed manual box? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.. Cheers all.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Erad - Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 20:57

Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 20:57
The oil on your transfer case could have come from further up front. If the leak comes back, check the drip - smell it. Gearbox oil has a distinct smell compared to engine oil. If it is G'box oil, I would check the levels in the transmission, the front diff and the transfer case.
AnswerID: 594416

Reply By: Roachie Silverado - Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 21:23

Saturday, Jan 02, 2016 at 21:23
I agree with Erad.....clean it all up and keep a close eye on it to see if there is any evidence of a leak over the coming weeks. You need to see that "first drop" of oil because it very soon migrates all over the underbody.

In the meantime I suggest checking the levels of oil in the engine, front diff, gearbox and transfer case.

One possibility is that one of the latter 3 might have had excess oil when serviced and the heat of the day plus hard-working could have caused the slight excess oil vapor to discharge via the relative breather. I'm not familiar with the Prado's breather arrangements; it's just a thought.

Good luck

Roachie
AnswerID: 594419

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 09:14

Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 09:14
Thanks Roachie
Defiantly not leaking forward on the transfer, doesn't take much to make a bit of a mess, I'm hoping was just a bit forced out a breather, I'll check all the levels and keep an eye on it.. Hasn't leaked any more.. Thanks.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862806

Reply By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 09:37

Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 09:37
Agree with all the above. If you garage it or park it in the same spot all the time, then place some cardboard etc under it to see if the leak comes back.

I do this all the time. Easy to notice any leaks. I can't get under the car on my back because of medical issues. It's easy to look at the cardboard as I reverse out.

Phil
AnswerID: 594433

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 09:58

Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 09:58
Had this happen once out near Alice Springs...towing a C/T, sitting on 110 k/ph on a hot day and noticed the front of the C/T covered in oil....under the 4wd ( triton dual cab ) was covered as well....took it to a mechanic who said it may have just vented a bit with the weather and the high speed run.

Gernied the oil off and never did it again. Still a mystery ??
AnswerID: 594434

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 10:52

Sunday, Jan 03, 2016 at 10:52
Thanks Gronk, yes, seems to be same story, when I brought the car, brand new, and drove the 300km home, it seemed to have a few spots on the rear door, I thought it must have just been from the exhaust, being new, and engine settling in.. Never happened again, until the other day, wasn't much, only few spots on the ct, under the vehicle looked worse, it's all been well cleaned, and no further sign of it, so guessing the transfer just vented a bit.. Was a very hot day, lots of steep slow winding road.. Be keeping an eye on it, due for service in couple of weeks.. Cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 862808

Sponsored Links