GU BRAKE LIGHTS

Submitted: Monday, May 24, 2004 at 19:39
ThreadID: 13128 Views:1598 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
You will think i am going bannas but i am not other people have seen it as well my brakes lights come on when no one is in the patrol, it can be locked and in the day time and at night, quite weird. I was standing with the auto elec at the rear of the patrol when it first happened he could not belive it " also said because they go out after about 45 seconds there was not enough time to find out what the problem is, has any expericed this problem thought i would ask just in case before i start to pull the truck apart " i wonder if someting is crawling around inside" any ideas most welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: halfinch - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 20:36

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 20:36
Guess what 10 para, your not the only one, my father and my uncle had the same prob with their gu's. both have got electric brake control units and one has cruise control fitted.Father took his back to dealer and they coudn't find anything but replaced one tail light. Because of it being an irregular problem still not sure if it's fixed.
Anyway best of luck, will be watching your post with much interest.

Cheers Halfinch
AnswerID: 59966

Reply By: driver 33b - Monday, May 24, 2004 at 22:26

Monday, May 24, 2004 at 22:26
Had exactly the same problem with EF Fairmont.......tracked it down to electric brakes......put an isolating switch in so the controller is not on when van not attached ...now that we have a 3.5 DOHC Mitsi will do the same to it . TC
AnswerID: 59996

Follow Up By: 10 Para (Qld) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 11:39

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 11:39
Did you fit a manual or automatic isolator and which elec brake do you use mine is tekonshia
FollowupID: 321644

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:00

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:00
No, I don't think you're banana's. We've experienced exactly the same thing with our GU (do a search through the archives here for my post). I noticed it happen several times but couldn't quite convince hubby until he too witnessed this phenomena. We first noticed it several months after having a brake controller unit fitted and although we took the vehicle back to the auto sparky and he crawled all over it, he couldn't find a fault or a short. Funny thing is we were only saying the other day that we haven't seen the GU do it for 6 months or more now. Touch wood, whatever gremlin was causing the problem, it seems to have gone away now. Sorry I can't give you a fix but I can assure you that our GU never suffered any performance problems or side effects.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 60067

Reply By: BARRYR - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:36

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:36
The Tekonsha Voyager brake controller appears to suffer from this problem. If still under warranty take it back and get a replacement. I wired mine up with a 4 pin connector at the brake controller, and just disconnect when not in use.
Regards Barry.
AnswerID: 60077

Reply By: driver 33b - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 18:44

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 18:44
10 Para, l just put an on/off switch on the live wire to the controller under the dash.....everyone else is onto it....it was a Tekonsha Voyager.....fitted to my car by caravan co. where l bought my van in Vic......l live Central Coast NSW.....so l wasn't taking it back.....no fuss just glad to stop the neighbours coming over at 1:30 am to tell me the brake lights are on....it was freaky the first time 'cos the car was in the driveway and l saw the 'glow' through the bedroom curtains about 11:30 pm and thought someone was in the car knocking it off ! TC
AnswerID: 60278

Sponsored Links