Norseman - Hyden road condition

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 06, 2016 at 17:28
ThreadID: 131289 Views:2238 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, can anyone comment on the condition of the Noresman to road?

There were some heavy rains in the area a few weeks before Christmas, just wondering if the road was damaged. Traveling tomorrow.
Thanks in advance. Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2016 at 23:44

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2016 at 23:44
Chris, there's no problems with the road, the rain in November wasn't enough to cause any serious problems.
It's been a very dry Summer overall.
Norseman recorded about 6mm over several days in the last week of November '15, and about 16mm over 3 days in the 1st week of December '15 - but nothing has fallen since.
You can call the Dundas Shire and the Kondinin Shire to confirm, but I think you'll find you'll have a cruisey run.

Dundas Shire - Road conditions in the Shire control area

Kondinin Shire - Road conditions in the Shire area of control

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 594564

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 13:24

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 13:24
The weather bureau has a really handy tool for working out how much rain there's likely to have been by looking at recent weather maps of both rainfall and temperature.

On their website (bom.gov.au) click on climate then climate maps then rainfall. You can look at the last month, week or day and if there's been a lot of rain in the last month or week, then look at the temperature map to see if it's been hot and form a judgment as to whether it's likely to have dried up.

Click here for rainfall for last day
FollowupID: 863240

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 14:39

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 14:39
Paul - Yes, the BOM is fairly good to refer to - but remember these points.

1. There's sizeable areas that have no, or poor weather coverage, in W.A.
For example, there's nothing recording weather between Southern Cross, Yilgarn South, Holt Rock, Norseman, and Kalgoorlie.
You can have a large thunderstorm covering a wide area in this region, producing a lot of rain, and it's not recorded anywhere.
The best you can do is check on Kalgoorlie radar, but you need to be right up with current radar returns. Even then, the radar isn't anywhere near 100% accurate.

2. As a result, you can set off through this region in fine weather, and suddenly run into large amounts of water over the road, and very slippery and boggy conditions, from a recent thunderstorm that is now dispersed. It's happened to me.

I find the following section of the BOM site is more useful - it contains all the recording stations and you can get the rainfall figures for the last hour, or the last 24 hrs, or falls since 9:00AM.
In addition, this map has locations listed, which better assists you as regards orientation, as compared to a generalised rainfall map that doesn't show locations.

If you click on each weather region, the page zooms in on the weather region, and mousing over each station gives you the rainfalls or river levels, according to your selection.

BOM map - river and rainfall data

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 863249

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 17:07

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 17:07
Yeah I take your point Ron, but BoM doesn't necessarily rely on actual rainfall readings to project where the rain is or was. And on remote roads, the shires aren't necessarily going to know either.

Actually since my earlier comment I've noticed there is a loop in the rainfall map with is even more handy.
FollowupID: 863260

Reply By: Rainman WA - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 10:05

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 10:05
I was on the Hyden Norseman road two weeks ago and Oziexplorer info indicates I averaged around 80kph
AnswerID: 594599

Reply By: Chris A4 - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 13:19

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 13:19
Driven, east - west.
Road was in perfect condition, sat on around 100kph.
A little dusty, watch out for the passing trucks creating a brown out.
Chris
AnswerID: 594689

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 14:42

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 14:42
Chris, thanks for the feedback. The dust would be settled today, there's been a band of thunderstorms travelling through the Wheatbelt and Southern Goldfields in the last 24 hrs, and falls of 5-15mm have been generally recorded throughout the region.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 863250

Sponsored Links