solar panel on front of van

I have a Galaxy caravan and wanting to know if it's advisable to fit a solar panel on the front metal awning of the window. The panel is 9.5kg. I like the idea of the awning as it can be used clipped down while traveling and swung out if required. Has anyone done this?
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2016 at 20:32

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2016 at 20:32
The awning that covers the front window is there to protect the window from stones etc while driving. I think the solar panel may suffer from said stone strikes.
Would the struts and hinges be capable of handling the extra weight, after all I think they would only be designed to support the weight of the awning.
AnswerID: 594556

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Jan 07, 2016 at 12:45

Thursday, Jan 07, 2016 at 12:45
Hi Geoff,
I am no expert in the area of solar panels , and I do believe that if you put a glass on a window protector don't you think you may run the risk of a rock or some other foreign object coming off your wheels and damaging your solar panel, because that is what the window protector is there for, now if for a temporary arrangement like remove it while travelling, and affix it while camped up that may have some merit but permanent fixture, I am not so sure.
that is my 20 cents worth, goodluck.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 594579

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Jan 07, 2016 at 13:11

Thursday, Jan 07, 2016 at 13:11
Not the brightest of ideas to put a glass panel on an awning that is put there to protect another panel of glass. Think about it.
AnswerID: 594580

Reply By: Member - Milton477 - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 02:00

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 02:00
I'm planning on fitting a tilt up solar panel to the front of my van as the roof is restricted. The panel will be covered with a protective cover while travelling. Also considering the road side windows, covered again while travelling. Go for it Geoff K4. I think it's a good idea.
AnswerID: 594589

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 02:28

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 02:28
G'day, I have an Aussie Swag Camper that has a 160 watt panel on top of the fridge box, it has an option of a clear polycarbonate cover, expensive, but worth every penny to prevent stones breaking the panel. The panel is nearly horizontal but Aussie Swag have had reports of stones breaking the panel if the cover hasn't been optioned.................. I would think that the metal awning supports etc would not be strong enough to support a panel. If you upgrade these you may have a winner....................
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 594590

Sponsored Links