Inability to edit on EO is so frustrating.

Submitted: Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 09:52
ThreadID: 131298 Views:3454 Replies:15 FollowUps:56
This Thread has been Archived
I know this has been covered before but I just find that the inability to edit posts on EO is really limiting my enthusiasm in answering posts, and while some may say that is a good thing, going by the dwindling number or daily posts others possibly agree.

It is very frustrating that I can't correct my posts with a simple edit. I would rather not post and not help someone most of the time now.

As a customer, I am appealing to EO to reconsider the policy, it is a normal forum function that works on every forum I use, except this one which is the only one I pay for.

I know that there are alternatives but none are really user friendly.
1)Use external spell check - Browsers like Edge and Firefox are moving away from add ons because of the security risk. Their native spell check doesn't work very well with EO.
2)Sent a PM to EO to fix typos - yeah right. That'll happen
3)Live with posts that are not what you meant to say.
4)Open word or similar, type a post ( or edit ) in there then copy to EO - Seriously???

The main argument against editing is that people can change their post after other comments are made. However.

a)Every other forum I know gets around this by noting that an edit has occurred, with a time stamp. This works for them.

b)If that isn't enough for EO, then a history could be made available Wikipedia style so all changed can be viewed.

I know some people like the fact that it can't be edited and most don't ( going by similar previous threads)

I feel as a paid forum EO has to keep competitive ( look at the number of posts per day compared to 3 - 4 years ago. The Landcruiser forum has 50 - 100 times as many posts per day on one model fo car as a comparison).

EO please stay relavant. The site is so rich and the foum is the front door to much of the content.

Is it getting harder and harder to cough up an annual fee for an aging system.

Pleeeeeeeze

I do love this site and was in 2 minds about posting this, but I feel that it needs to be said ( again).

Note this post probably has typos, my Edge browser has a spell check that doesn't work with EO very well and I can't change it.
Back Expand Un-Read 9 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 09:55

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 09:55
Yep there are typos, sorry. None of these show up on Microsoft edge.

I'll live with them as usual.
AnswerID: 594597

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 10:20

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 10:20
I agree. Whatever the perceived problems, I don't think they're insurmountable. If Boobook's post amounts to a petition, then herewith my support and "signature".

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 594603

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 10:57

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 10:57
I agree - I have now got used to the new format and the way of doing things on the forum but in the update the one thing that was missing is the edit function - and this is despite a large number of users indicating they would like it.

Management seems reluctant on this point but I also ask the matter be reconsidered.

Consider my signature on the petition.

Garry
FollowupID: 863082

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 11:13

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 11:13
hi Bookbook ,
having just read ur post , reminded me recently I tried to update my profile ,what a joke after 4or5 tries to do it ,I gave up .When you hit the update button nothing seemed to happen ,
I,m not a whiz on the computer but could manage the old system , your right about the lack of posts ,my mates have commented on it , a big drop in the posts lately .If EO don,t listen to their members comments that will show they don,t think much of their members imput .
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 594606

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 13:08

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 13:08
Hi mechpete,

I'm sorry to hear that you were having issues updating your profile - the update button should certainly work which leads me to think there may be something in your browser/security settings which is preventing selected site functions. If you don't mind I'll give you a call today on the phone number listed in your member profile to see if we can find what is causing the problem.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 863087

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 23:18

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 23:18
When I had trouble changing something (email address I think) Adele kindly fixed it for me :)

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 863148

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 11:14

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 11:14
Some forums allow editing for a minimal amount of time, which could be an option.
Usually it's within a short time that you see errors, or wish to add a line, maybe 15 mins should be ample ?

I agree full editing (with edit day / time stamp etc) should be ok in this day and age of forums, and if it's important enough to someones reply, and they feel that it's important to have the relative text from the post they are replying to kept clear, they can usually reply / quote that post, then the original quoted text is kept in original form.
AnswerID: 594607

Follow Up By: Zippo - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 12:21

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 12:21
Yes, as Boobook put it, EO is the odd-man-out among forums (fora?) where no doubt the same arguments about editing must have been weighed up by the forum operators.

Even Gmail now allows a (short) "unsend" period after an email is sent.

That's all it needs, a short time window AND a Whirlpool-style "this post was edited" stamp.

And PLEASE separate the Preview and Submit buttons anyway.
FollowupID: 863085

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 15:50

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 15:50
I agree on the idea of allowing a short time to edit after posting to correct errors and comprehension - as many initial posts are rushed and not checked/proof-read thoroughly enough.

Even when you do a proof-read, one can often miss glaring errors, that stay there.

Most forums today have this time-limited editing feature.

However, allowing excessive alterations to a post is not good, as it ruins the thread due to later posts becoming useless, as they often become irrelevant.

I don't have too many problems with the new format, it is a step forward from the old format - but fine-tuning is always necessary to every system.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 863097

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 12:25

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 12:25
The number of posts per day sure seems to be dwindling. If people aren't posting on here - what is the next best forum please? I may have to consider joining another one so I can keep up with stuff. Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 594608

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 10:00

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 10:00
This Facebook forum has taken over all things Canning Stock Route

https://www.facebook.com/groups/canningstockroute/
FollowupID: 863166

Follow Up By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 15:22

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 15:22
Yes it's certainly one for the CSR followers! Cheers Toni
FollowupID: 863187

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 16:01

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 16:01
There are lots of facebook groups whose main theme is camping etc. Not nearly as good as this site, but doubtless they suit those who want quick easy answers.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 863192

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 17:22

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 17:22
I only really use ExplorOz for Canning Stock Route specific information, so the new facebook CSR site works well in that regard.

I still come here from time to time, but I found strongly bias moderation during trolling to be impossible to deal with. So I have gone elsewhere for the most part. Some would say that is a good thing :-)
FollowupID: 863197

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 13:09

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 13:09
Hang on Boobook, don't we already have an effective 'edit' function?
Type your New Thread or response, either read it before submitting or hit the 'Preview' button, look at it then hit the 'Submit' button. Simple.

I'm not trying to be a smart**** but isn't that the same as submitting then noticing need for amendment etc?

My concern is that if an edit occurs whilst I am composing a response, my Reply or FollowUp could be quite irrelevant yet appear to be addressing the now edited post. Having a time delay function does not solve this either. Already, I have dealt with two phone calls whilst composing this Reply so why should I be placed in the position of appearing to be a bigger fool than I already seem, huh?

Seems to me that most of the posts that require an edit due to carelessness of spelling or composition will not be noticed and edited by the poster anyway. If it is so important to edit then what is wrong with doing so with a FollowUp which at least draws attention to the amendment for anyone who has already read the original post?

Just because some other forums have an edit function does not necessitate EO having such. The big and attractive difference with the ExplorOz forum is that it is conversational and unstructured. In a verbal conversation you cannot retract your spoken words, you have to say "hang on, I meant.....".

Go ahead, convince me I'm wrong. I know that my response has been offered before, but so has your plea.
p.s. By my reading the above before submission I corrected several errors.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 594609

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 13:24

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 13:24
I feel Preview is ok, but still little errors can be missed, or as put in Zippos post, the Submit & Preview buttons are adjacent, and especially on mobiles / smaller tablets, it is easy for big fingers to hit the wrong button.
Really, editing your own reply to correct a minor matter just clogs up threads sometimes.

If you really need to reply to something important, most forumites would click the quote button (sometimes titled reply on some forums) then edit out irrelevant bits of longer posts to leave the important point(s), and type their reply beneath.
This keeps the original text as it was wehn the person replying click on it, and actually makes it easier to see what a reply 3, 6, or 10 posts later is referring to.
FollowupID: 863088

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 14:34

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 14:34
OK Les, simply fixed...... just have the one button marked "Preview", when you hit that the preview appears showing layout and all and the button changes to "Submit". This two-step action is common to online purchases where you review your order before committal.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863091

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 15:39

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 15:39
I guess that has some merit on my PC Allan, It is very clunky on my tablet though. I guess EO could introduce 2 step 3 step or 10 step processes but it is very clunky and I would have thought ease of use to be a high priority for a paid forum.

Any forum IS it's users, if they all drop off, then there is little point visiting it. IMHO EO is getting to a critical point of user base, there are some great users who contribute, but with less users you do get tired of the same ol solar/ sat phone/ battery/ etc "newby" questions and I would have though ease of use is a top priority to keep traffic and a broad gene pool

Anyway, it's not my site, and what would I know about running a paid web forum. Just a suggestion.
FollowupID: 863096

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 16:50

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 16:50
I agree with what Allan B has posted. In short, preview what you have written and if a few spelling errors still get through I doubt that civilisation as we know it will come crashing down.
Follow up with a brief explanation if a major faux pas comes to your attention or wear the followups that follow. A few of those might just improve the memory.

On a slightly different matter. As a cheap arsed, tight fisted, no good, low down, non member,

Am I missing the bleedingly obvious? When we had the old format, changing the number of posts per page and the order they were displayed in re date or whatever, It was quite easy to customise.

So has that function ceased to exist, is it now only available to members, or as I suspect, i'm missing the bleedingly obvious?

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 863105

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 18:24

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 18:24
Pop, the number of threads displayed per page appears to me, to be set by the webmaster, and non-members are unable to change it. I'm not sure if this changes when you become a member.

The order of display can be changed by clicking on "Menu" (top LH corner) -> "Forum" -> "Search & Options" - then select "Search Results By" - BUT - you can only select two options - "Thread ID", or Response Time".

This is a step backwards from the original forum format, where the options were much larger.

2008 - How to change forum display options

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 863120

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 19:47

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 19:47
Correction Boobook. It is not a "paid forum". You only need to pay for some of the other site benefits.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863129

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 21:18

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 21:18
Agree with Allan, Preview gives you what you will see when posted. Geee are you that worried that you might spell a word wrong, everone is not perfect and I'm sure no one cares if it is spelt wrong.... As for what you say a review is always going to pick up something wrong when you read it and you can change it. So to me it is an edit button before it is put out their or is it there or they're.

Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863137

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 13:17

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 13:17
Hi Boobook,

I have brought this post to the site owners' attention and will discuss this issue with them when they return from their break (next week). Will post a reply with an update once available.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 594610

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 15:40

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 15:40
Sorry but there is simply no argument against allowing editing that holds water ... sorry none ...... I have simply not encountered another forum that does not permit editing ..... not one.

as far as spell checks and previews ...... entirely irrelivent, most other forums have those too ..... their availabilty does not deminish the argument for editing.

cheers
AnswerID: 594623

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 16:37

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 16:37
ROFLMAO. If this site had an inbuilt spellchecker it would go into meltdown!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863104

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 18:13

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 18:13
The reason spell checkers and previews are irrelivent is that most people don't use them, and on the matter of spelling most people don't care.

cheers
FollowupID: 863118

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 18:17

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 18:17
Is that an edit to your Reply above Bantam?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863119

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 18:27

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 18:27
Allan - Haven't you seen this one?? LOL

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 863121

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 19:26

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 19:26
Ah Ron,
Know, Eye had knot scene it. That is classic!

I will need to be extra careful after this that I make no errors in spelling or grammar.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863127

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 19:17

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 19:17
Bantam, I agree ....... If you had an edit function you could have corrected "irrelivent"!

FollowupID: 863205

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 20:28

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 20:28
And changed it to "irrevilent" Shaker? ..... FDL

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863206

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 20:40

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 20:40
Or even irrelevant
FollowupID: 863212

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 21:21

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 21:21
but I can't
FollowupID: 863217

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 16:25

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 16:25
Me too....(but with respect to team Martin, of course :-).
At this time of the year (hic) not all of us are in a fit state too consider all aspects of our ramblings before hitting the GO button*. That said, there is of course little use in having original replies to an updated post, so there would need to be a practical solution found for that factor.

*I'll have to think about an excuse for the rest of the year.

If only I could have edited the too to to (boo hoo :-(....just kidding....
AnswerID: 594630

Reply By: Michael H9 - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 20:13

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 20:13
I can't see the downside in having an edit function. You will please the people who want it, and the others won't use it so don't count. There needs to be a quote function like every other forum so the post/sentence you are commenting on is set in your reply as it first appeared. This clarifies your follow up far more clearly. The quote function is not as vital here due to the conversational structure but there are many times I have thought it would be nice to have it available.

I reckon post counts are down on most sites I visit. People are a bit troll wary, I know I am. I also notice new posters being jumped on, sometimes quite heavily, for not searching answers to their questions from previous posts. We even had someone recently being told they couldn't drive because they said the road into a particular area in Tassy was difficult. It all adds up to people not posting.

I just checked it all and can't see any errers....
AnswerID: 594643

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 21:31

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 21:31
Michael,

You said..."The quote function is not as vital here due to the conversational structure".
That is the "vibe" as someone almost famous once said, lol, the "conversational" style of this forum.
It is rather unique, and attractive. In conversation you cannot take back and amend what you have already said, you have to add a correction. Why not here?

I do not know much about other forums, but do they have a 'Preview' button as we do? Mind you, it is even easier to just read what you have already typed before hitting the 'Submit' button. Where's the Big Deal?

We get editing and there may be.... "But you said..." .... "No I didn't"....
Why on earth is it even needed?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863138

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 23:53

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 23:53
There you go, you just quoted me. The advantage of a quote function in other forums is that you can have the post as a basis for your reply and insert comments of your own in relevant places inside the quote. It's very handy, accurate and saves typing.

You said "Where's the Big Deal?" (Another quote) Well the big deal is that some people would really like the edit function, the evidence is this thread. Personally I couldn't care less because I never make mistakes. :-) There's never a great outcome when people expect everyone else to behave exactly as they themselves do. And other forums with edit functions have preview and spell checkers. What I crave is emoticons. Little graphical smiley and angry faces instead of the rubbish text one I inserted a few lines back. As far as first world problems go, that is my biggest gripe. The posts are much prettier with emoticons....
FollowupID: 863152

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 00:37

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 00:37
OK, OK, Give them an edit function.
Just don't change the post whilst I am composing a response that will now not make sense!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863156

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 09:13

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 09:13
Allan,

I think your fears of altered posts are largely unfounded. I engage in a few forums and do not remember my reply ever being rendered irrelevant because the first poster altered the meaning of their post. Not to say it won't happen, of course - it could, as you have identified.

More often, through my own fault, I have misread a post or intention and got the wrong slant in my reply, in which case an edit facility would be useful.

Even more frequently, as I slowly compose my well thought-out riposte :-), someone else will beat me to the post, so to speak, with their equally well thought-out response so when mine gets there it is either a duplication of the discussion which could be deleted, or is otherwise rendered a less than useful contribution - in which case an edit facility would again be useful.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 863161

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 09:39

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 09:39
Allan, I am not requesting that the current preview function be replaced by the ability to edit a post. You could continue to work the way you prefer, and others could work the way they prefer.

I am not sure why but I like to see my post in the context of the preceding ones, that is not possible currently and certainly doesn't work very well on my tablet.

It's not just the fixing of typos, it is a proper, in context review of a post that I would like.

Each to their own. For what ever reason, I see more errors in my posts when read in full context. Dunno why and I can preview till the cows come home, but still see an error seconds after reading the surrounding posts.

FollowupID: 863163

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 09:43

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 09:43
I'm sure you are right on all points Frank.

Being slow to compose (and proof-read) also sometimes leads to someone else beating me to the response such that my reply looks inconsiderate. Will your 'Edit' facility allow me to swap the order of response? lol

So OK, lets have an edit function. After all, I don't have to use it do I?
Everyone........... I'm changing my vote......... Hello??

Now, can we please have a function that ensures everyone spells my name with two ells?
Oh, and something that will identify just who The Bantam is responding to.... and an automatic 'Off Topic' rejector and.............er.........
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863164

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 09:58

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 09:58
Now there you go Boobook, my leisurely response to Frank allowed you to slip in front. At least we all respond to the person by name, unlike some I could nominate, so it is clear whom we are addressing.

Actually, the current 'Preview' function does reveal my draft "in the context of the preceding ones" but maybe that is not so with the 'cut-down' version of EO.

But as I said to Frank, I have become a convert.... go for it.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863165

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 10:16

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 10:16
That's where the quote function on other forums comes into its own. Who you are quoting is clearly shown in the quote and really makes your post's relevance quite clear.
FollowupID: 863168

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 10:20

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 10:20
Who are you talking to Michael? LOL
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863169

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 10:40

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 10:40
I was just talking to my wife ... :-) I wanted to actually bold the word talking or maybe change its font colour to emphasize it, but I can't do that either. :-(
FollowupID: 863172

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 15:30

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 15:30
Michael,
I guess that the only way to add emphasis is to use upper case. If it were with only ONE word then you may be forgiven for 'shouting' maybe.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863188

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 15:45

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 15:45
I was just led to another forum through a search, ( I usually do not visit other forums David ) however, There was a post followed by three responses, each of which wished to 'quote' from the original post. So now we had the original extensive post repeated in its entirety on each FollowUp....... bloody boring.
Now you may suggest that the responders could have 'cut' all but the section they wished to refer to, but the point is that they did not.
Please do not persuade David to incorporate that system into the EO Forum. It is no trouble to cut-and-paste or retype the pertinent words into your response.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863191

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 20:30

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 20:30
Allan

Not only is it bloody boring to reread a post that has been quoted, it also slows down the forum as it is chocked up with extra stuff that has to be loaded and it completely stuffs up a search as the same "information" is loaded each time it is quoted.

Much better to cut and paste the relevant section as you suggest.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 863207

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 20:34

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 20:34
Allan, a good example of how this can be implemented is in 4x4earth, when you quote someone, it automatically truncates the quote to a line or two. It can be expanded by a click of a button to the full text. That way you don't have to re-read quoted text, unless you want to.

----CHOICE!!!!!!

It is very neat indeed.

It also records any edits made after any follow up posts.

A model of a good modern forum style. The huge number of users every minute shows that its popular too.
FollowupID: 863208

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 20:41

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 20:41
Oh it's all too much Boobook!!!! lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 863213

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 20:36

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 20:36
Yep ...

You can add me in there somewhere.
I fully understand and respect the point of view that spelling and grammar are not of world stopping importance to some people and that's fine. However I am of the old school where I place some emphasis upon the need to express yourself in such a way that it can be easily read and understood and it would seem I'm not the only man on the island. Oft times errors creep in which are only picked up after one hits the post button, so I add my two penneth worth to those respectfully pleading for the inclusion of this function.
AnswerID: 594644

Reply By: equinox - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 22:00

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 22:00
Non-Issue. My opinion.

It's like people are expecting to makes mistakes and then be given a chance to correct themselves.
Why not submit the post right the first time by previewing it first, making changes if necessary then submitting?

If you're only answering with a quick one or two liner - It's probably not going to offend anyone if you make minor errors.

If you're submitting a detailed thread or detailed answer, then checking your work prior to submitting should be part of that detail.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 594646

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 23:20

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 23:20
I look through spelling and grammatical errors - communication is about a point, a thought, or concept being made and understood by the reeder...not whether the spelling is write oar wrong...

But haste is the enemy of reasoned discussion in many forums and that is something that no edit button will ever fix...

Having said that, I understand the point being made and I have no doubt that David and Michelle Martin will take these comments on board and make changes, where they can, to improve the ExplorOz website.

They've been doing that for years and is a key reason why EO is more than just a forum, it is an interactive travel resource with some warts, hear and their!

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

AnswerID: 594648

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 23:40

Friday, Jan 08, 2016 at 23:40
Comparing with another forum I frequent, there is an edit time of about 20 minutes - plenty enough time to see those typos even if you missed them when previewing. If someone has already posted after you, the post is marked as having been edited. You can only delete prior to another post being added, but you can still edit.

On Facebook, every time you edit, the original remains, so the curious can click and see what you changed.

I would also like a decent search function here to make it easy to find useful information posted in the past. Sometimes I cannot even find threads that I know are there, know approximate time frame, who posted on it, and key words. Here only key words are can be used for a search and even that seems hit-and-miss. Member post search only brings up member initiated the threads. On the .php forum platform that many free forums use, search function can be set up for very comprehensive searches, and this can be done in layers, fining down the search each time. There is so much it can do I could write pages on it.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 594650

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 02:33

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 02:33
Motherhen, the finest search engine ever made belongs to Google. Just type "Exploroz: XXXXX" into the Google search box - with "XXXXX" being your search term/s query - and Google will find it faster and more efficiently than any other search engine made.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 863158

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 09:32

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 09:32
Believe it or not, I have heard of Google Ron (LOL). It is still limited to one search level so it is time consuming.

Fred Blogs truck site:explorox.com will search only this site.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 863162

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 10:14

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 10:14
The Search facility has been rendered useless with the new format. Search was good in the past. Now the EO Search is irrelevant. This was a step back in programming. Google is the alternative.
FollowupID: 863167

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 11:55

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 11:55
Hi MH,

In response to your follow up ID number xxxxxxx, which I can no longer see (no quote function LOL), what I usually do when searching for, or researching a subject and useing Google, as per your example "Fred Blog's trucks, I generally leave out the reference to Exploroz. I find that if the subject matter has been discussed on EO it will be listed anyway,most times, and the posts listed in some sort of order after identifying the fact that the following is from EO.

If you can understand my ramblings...LOL

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 863176

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 12:00

Saturday, Jan 09, 2016 at 12:00
Clear and succinct Pop. Yes, EO threads often come up in general searches on travel related matters, but harder to find a specific thread which I may remember and want to look up.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 863177

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 12:16

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 12:16
Gaynor,
The new search is the same as the old if you select the top result which is view all results for search. We only added the drop down list as an option if you happened to find the answer you are looking for. So to be the same as the old type your string and select the top option.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 863451

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 16:55

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 16:55
Sorry Michelle, that is not correct. With the previous program if I typed in a word I got pages and pages of results. Now it is limited to one page.

Example: If I want to find one of my forum posts I might type in 'Gaynor'. Only 21 forum posts come up. I have very definitely contributed a lot more than 21. eg this post did not come up in my search using the word Gaynor ; ThreadID: 99313 Views:2995
FollowupID: 863473

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 16:57

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 16:57
And when I tried to thank you for the Edit button this error message came up without anyone having posted yet Update not allowed - Invalid UserID or Followup has later updates
FollowupID: 863474

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 17:02

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 17:02
If I type in : Ron N

341 forum posts are listed but only one short page shows again.

There also appears to be a limiting factor not allowing the other pages to show
FollowupID: 863475

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 17:11

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 17:11
Ah, said the blind man. I now see Search and Options. I was using the Search magnifying glass in the top right, which you mush have been referring to. My apologies. That magnifying Search facility is a red herring, IMHO. but glad I can now search like I used to now that I know where to find it.
FollowupID: 863478

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 17:23

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 17:23
Wanting very much to change 'mush' to 'must' but not happening. Still error message.

Just want to be clear - the Search shown as a magnifying glass next to the word Profile in the top right of the forum page is the faulty search facility I am referring to.

I never saw the one that works like the old one, perhaps because it is the same colour as the alternating grey white threads. Maybe a change in colour might help and removal of that top right search? Just a suggestion.
FollowupID: 863480

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:25

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:25
Hi Boobook,

Just thought I would quickly point you to the result of this here: Forum Edit: the new norm
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 594857

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 07:10

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 07:10
Wow that was quick.

Well I do have to say EO is listening ..even to me :-)

I m sure that many users will use and appreciate that function.

I hope I never have to use it. But with my typing I know it won't take too long before I use it.

Thanks to everyone at EO..

FollowupID: 863426

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 17:04

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 17:04
Adele, I find the edit feature is not working in Follow ups

Also Search facility is limited to one page, not allowing all the results to show
FollowupID: 863477

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 19:44

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 19:44
Hi Gaynor,

We have been trying to replicate the search issue you are reporting, but haven't been able to find a problem. When you type in the search term are you then click on "View All Results" as that should then give you all results (separated into pages if needed).

If you can provide some more information on what is occurring I can look into this further for you.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 863488

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 20:24

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 20:24
Hi Adele

Thank you.

Have a look in the Follow Ups just above this one where I am answering Michelle. The search facility I was using is the small magnifying icon on the top right of the page next to Profile.This is the one that is not operating fully.

I did not even see the Search & Options facility until she pointed it out as it blends into the Threads. I only saw that small magnifying icon and never looked further as I thought that was it. Might considering removing that top right icon?.
FollowupID: 863491

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2016 at 13:51

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2016 at 13:51
Hi Gaynor,

My apologies for the delay in reply on this. The "Magnifying Icon" is our whole of site search, which is visible not just in the forum, but on every page of the website, so I don't think we would want to remove it. I can see that the results are limited to just that one page, which is not ideal, I will correspond with David to see what we can do about this.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 863848

Sponsored Links