tasmania

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 15:48
ThreadID: 131322 Views:3032 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi folks...going to Tassie next week for 10 days..whats the best way to see as much as possible..have swag and 4wd..do I base camp west for 5 days and same on east coast..or try and cover as much as I can setting up camp every night
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 16:04

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 16:04
Just remember Tasmania is the same size as mainland Australia, just hasn't been flattened out.
Seriously it depends if you want a quick over view of the whole Island or pick an area to do thoroughly. We spent 3 months on west side and then another 4 months in the east. still need to go back.

Neil
AnswerID: 594699

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 16:07

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 16:07
Ten days good for a recce, or enough time to see a small corner of the island. We spent 3 months and there is heaps we missed out on.
AnswerID: 594700

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 17:19

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 17:19
the best time to go is after the school holidays ,
because everything is heavily booked
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 594705

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 17:44

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 17:44
That's a very tight schedule, so you'll just get a taste of this wonderful place...........I've done a region by region highlights of Tassie document for a few interstate travelling friends - can send it to you if you'd like to send me a PM.
AnswerID: 594706

Follow Up By: goddosglory - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 18:09

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 18:09
hi.. I would if I knew how
FollowupID: 863262

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 22:57

Sunday, Jan 10, 2016 at 22:57
Oh....then if you're prepared to post your email in this thread, I'm happy to send the msg to you.
FollowupID: 863276

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jan 11, 2016 at 00:43

Monday, Jan 11, 2016 at 00:43
Hi goddosglory

Our daughter, who had worked for a year in Tasmania, worked out a ten day plan to to show her family some of her favourite places. Being from Western Australia, it was a fly in tour.

If flying, maximise time by flying in to Burnie (or Devonport) and flying out from Hobart.

This is based on a tour undertaken in 9 or 10 days, with updated ideas. As she was pregnant, travelling with a one year old, her partner and his parents, days did not include long drives without breaks, nor long walks. She organised the tour to show her family some of her favourite places in Tassie, looking for something to please everyone, while shutting the family business for a few days either side of Easter.

1. Start Burnie (or Devonport). On her tour, she went to Corinna for the first night, to go back to where she had worked. Better for others would be to spend the first night at Stanley (the Nut), after driving along the coastal route. Take the chairlift to the top.
2. If the weather is good, go to Cradle Mountain, and explore the area around Sheffield. Alternatively, you could go down to Strahan. Watch weather for Cradle Mountain, and make a dash from where ever you are if it is good on the mountain.
3. Mole Creek is in a beautiful area with views of mountains and caves to explore.
4. Head to Launceston via Deloraine
5. They went next to Bicheno, but if you have time go first to St Helen’s and the beautiful Bay of Fires coastline where lovely free camps are provided along the coastline.
6. It is easy to spend a day at Port Arthur which is the most moving historical icon Australia has.
7. If you are in Hobart on a Saturday, visit the Salamanca Markets. As they were not camping they stayed three days at Hobart, from Hobart they drove to the Mount Field National Park and to the southern tip (although you can’t get right to the southernmost point of Australia without taking quite a long walk). Make sure you drive to the top of Mount Wellington while in Hobart – magic views but cold and windy.

To get a closer look at these and more places and see where we camped (free, low cost and a couple of caravan parks) on our seven week tour, have a look at My Blogs 2006 Tasmania.My Blogs 2006

I am happy to answer any further questions you may have about these.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 863281

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jan 11, 2016 at 00:51

Monday, Jan 11, 2016 at 00:51
Your are going in peak period, school holidays and all. The Tasmanians themselves put pressure on the free camps by setting up for the holidays, and add many mainland tourists it can be hard to get into your desired campground or caravan park without earlier arrival or bookings.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 594722

Reply By: rumpig - Monday, Jan 11, 2016 at 18:11

Monday, Jan 11, 2016 at 18:11
Forget about the base camp idea, keep on the move and find a new location to roll the swag out each night, but remember it still gets bloody cold in Tassie at Summer (us Qlders were wearing ski jackets at times). We spent 6 weeks driving around Tassie at the end of last year / start of this year, just had a rough plan but never had anywhere booked to stay and always found somewhere. My top highlights / must see's whilst in Tassie are (in no particular order)...Mt Wellington (Hobart), Legerwood Memorial Trees (in the tiny town of Legerwood which is about 25klms South East of Scotsdale), The Wall in the Wilderness (Derwent Bridge), Western Explorer Highway (Corrina to Arthur River), Jacobs Ladder (Ben Lomond National Park), Wood Stave Pipeline (Road into Laughing Jack Lagoon near Derwent Bridge, Mt Field and drive out to Strathgordon Dam also (it's a beautiful drive), and of course Port Arthur.
Now there's heaps more great places to see then those, and you don't need a 4wd to visit the ones i have listed, but don't miss them is what i am saying. Here's a link to a trip report i have 99% finished from that trip (i'll finish the last 2 days one day...lol) Tassie Trip Report . There's some 4wding we did in the trip, but we took it fairly easy 4wding wise, as we knew we had several thousand klms to drive back home towing our camper trailers.
AnswerID: 594739

Sponsored Links