Trip Planning

Submitted: Monday, Jan 11, 2016 at 17:30
ThreadID: 131327 Views:1474 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning a trip on my own about early May. First to western Qld calling at Salvador Rosa Nat Park, also Idalia and Welford. Then to Hughenden via Longreach, follow Savannah Way, Lawn Hill, eventually to Darwin, then calling at Boulia on the way home. Vehicle will be diesel Pathfinder. The van - there's the rub. I have on offer a Jayco Flite semi off-road whatever that means - better clearance but is that all. Can any body give me any advice about his trip and the suitability of the van? And tripping in general - what essentials, what to leave behind. I've done a lot of four wheeling in SE Qld but not caravanning. 4WD is advised at some of the Nat Parks. Perhaps someone who has done them can advise what the roads are actually like. Would appreciate it... Regbar
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Monday, Jan 11, 2016 at 20:08

Monday, Jan 11, 2016 at 20:08
I havent done this trip, but a priority would be getting our camper dust proofed.

Ensure your vehicle and camper is trip ready with a pre trip run.
AnswerID: 594742

Reply By: Member - Dalb (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2016 at 09:53

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2016 at 09:53
G'day Regbar
Its the old story, drive to the conditions.
I have done all those roads in 2014, albeit with an off-road van, but I passed several very-much on-road vans who were just mosey-ing along very slowly.
The roughest section is between Roper Bar and Borroloola and sometimes I did not exceed about 25kph for hours. However, there is no-where that is challenging, its just rough that's all. Some wonderful places to visit along that way.....
Cheers Dalb
Cheers, Dalb

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 594767

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2016 at 13:44

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2016 at 13:44
What he said. We did the section from Cape Crawford through Roper Bar to Mataranka in 2015. It includes a fair bit of rough-as-guts corrugated stuff, with the very occasional bit as smooth as a baby's bum. There were numerous 4x4's with *proper* OR C/T's barrelling along the other way (well - ~75kph) and the occasional less-than-OR unit being somewhat more circumspect.
FollowupID: 863336

Sponsored Links