Sights etc...from Alice Springs to Mataranka.......

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:27
ThreadID: 131338 Views:1906 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,
We're off to the Northern Territory in September this year and have allowed time to spend in Mataranka, Jabiru, Arnhem Land, Darwin etc... however we've not got much planned from between Alice Springs & Mataranka.

We've stayed at Alice Springs before and will return there again one day, what we haven't done is explored anything north of the area. I'm aware of the Devils Marbles & Chambers Pillar, are there other spots that you could recommend we visit? Can we camp at some/all of these spots? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Derm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - brucek - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:41

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:41
Gemtree on the Plenty Hwy 22.9678/ 134.2424
Was an active caravan park with gemstone fossicking.
We enjoyed our one night stay, and wanted to stay longer.

AnswerID: 594825

Follow Up By: Dermottj - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:54

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:54
How was the road in and out once you turn off the Stuart?
FollowupID: 863369

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:55

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:55
Ditto.................... Gem Tree

Binns Track maybe an alternative way for you to get to Mataranka
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 863370

Follow Up By: Member - brucek - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 18:28

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 18:28
I believe it is bitumen to the gate.
If not, the dirt road is not a challenge.
FollowupID: 863385

Follow Up By: Member - brucek - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 18:36

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 18:36
Chambers Pillar by comparison is a major challenge.
The road from Maryvale is marked 4wd only, presumably because of the sand patches and steep hills for towing a van.
The road to Maryvale from the Alice is quite ok for a dirt road.
The road to Maryvale from Finke is a car (and teeth) breaker.
One can choose the sand road that is raced on, or the old railway formation that still has many of the dog spikes on the road. Some of the old sleepers are still there. Probably has never been graded.
FollowupID: 863386

Reply By: birdnerd - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:55

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 11:55
Hi Derm, other than the two places you have mentioned to see on the way, I am not sure there is much else - please correct me if I am wrong people!
We stay at Banka Banka station, between Tennant Creek and Elliot, but get in early as it is a popular place to stay. We are heading off in early May and will stay there on our way up to the Kimberly. Big4 in Katherine is really nice if you are staying around that area, has a pool and a bistro. Bit of luxury before heading off onto the dirt!
Amanda.
AnswerID: 594826

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 12:05

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 12:05
Would recommend the Longreach Waterhole public camping area, on the Newcastle creek, a few km west of Elliott.....a top spot to camp by a wide stretch of water. Both times we've been there the place was teeming with birdlife. There's many km's of water frontage for choosing a camp spot. From the Stuart, it's only a few km's along a very good, graded sandy road to the creek. The turn off from the Stuart Highway is immediately by the cattle grid on the northern edge of Elliott township. If you can access a guide or book on the Upper Stuart it would be worthwhile....lots of historic places can be visited (still worth it, if only briefly)....WW2 relics and old airstrips included....such as the Daly Waters locality (and the notable pub).
Re Chambers Pillar...160km by road 'south' of the Alice...have not been there myself, but no gazetted direct access in off the Stuart....need to approach it from the Maryvale road, east side. Mostly unsealed roads, quite sandy in places it seems. Have a good one......hard to go wrong in the NT....a top place :-).
AnswerID: 594829

Follow Up By: Dermottj - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 13:22

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 13:22
Thanks heaps for that Darian, the Longreach Waterhole camping area sounds excellent, just the sort of thing I'm looking for that isn't mainstream nor far off the beaten track!
FollowupID: 863374

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 13:59

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 13:59
The Pebbles (kunjarra) about 11klm north of Tennant Creek It is a free camp and has a walk around the pebbles.. It is just far enough out of town for the locals not to visit at night.. It is on the map...

Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 594838

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:46

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 20:46
Tennant Creek has a few things to see around it's parts.... there's the Telegraph Station just North of town (you used to be able to get a key to enter from Tenant Creek, not sure if still the case now though?) and Battery Hill Mining Centre in Tenant Creek itself also. Lake Mary Ann not far out of town is a nice spot to lunch at if the timetable suits also. When travelling North from Devils Marbles, not to far up the highway on your left is Bonny Well to stop and check out aswell. It's literally right beside the highway, and whilst not a spot you'll spend a long period of time at, it's history regarding the development of the area is well worth reading. The Daly Waters Pub is worth a stop at, meals used to be nice and you were able to camp out the back also for a small fee.
AnswerID: 594863

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 23:18

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 23:18
Hi Derm

Check our My Blogs from 2009 when we did north from Alice Springs. There should be links to where you can camp.

Chambers Pillar is to the south and is covered in my 2008 My Blogs.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 594872

Sponsored Links