Camping

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 23:41
ThreadID: 131351 Views:2126 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I heard not so good camping at Lake Bonney S.A. campground . So wondering any alternatives. Also like to know any good quiet spots on the Murray River in S.A.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 23:58

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2016 at 23:58
What have you heard that is not good about Lake Bonney Stephen? All good reports on the Caravaners Forum.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 594877

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 00:07

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 00:07
I just read tent camping very crowded during school holidays and very noisy ..cheers
FollowupID: 863410

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 02:08

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 02:08
Mmmm - same anywhere along the Murray.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 863418

Follow Up By: Roachie Silverado - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 05:39

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 05:39
We free-camped on the north side of Lake Bonney on the October long weekend.....couldn't leave here (Kadina) till after mid-day Saturday and got there late afternoon.

As expected, it was busy and not many spots left. However, we found a spot near the water and set up camper.

Not only was the crowd of (city?) people REALLY LOUD....there was fighting and loud music well beyond midnight.

However, even worse than that was the stench of rotting fish!!! People just catch the carp there and chuck them in the grass just out of the water. It was disgusting!!!!

We got up early on the Sunday morning (around 0600), packed-up without eating and took off as quick as we could.

What a total shame to see this beautiful site in such a state and being frequented by such a loud and inconsiderate bunch of mongrels.
FollowupID: 863423

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 11:07

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 11:07
Sorry Roachie for bad experience , it confirms what I have read .We used to go there as kids and it was fantastic spot . But seems humans are spoiling it , the Possums must have moved out , that was a highlight as kids to see them at night ...times are a changing ..cheers Stephen
FollowupID: 863447

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 07:30

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 07:30
Hi Stephen

Does it have to be Lake Bonney?

There are dozens of great places to camp in the Riverland, but be aware that during school holidays it could be busy. One great place that we enjoy is Hogwash Bend, between Morgan and Waikerie.

What areas are you looking for, the Murraylands or Riverland areas?

If you are not sure what I am talking about, any area south of Morgan in South Australia is classed as the Murraylands, while east of Morgan through to the border is known as the Riverland.

We spend a lot of time in the Riverland and there are many great places in the Renmark area where you can camp and have the area to youself, including many fine areas just over the border in Victoria in the Lindsay Point area.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 594882

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 11:02

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 11:02
Thanks Stephen great name ha ha ha. No not important, I suppose when kid it was pretty quiet there but times change. Yes Be nice to camp on River around Renmark .I have been to Hogwash Bend nice spot but many people there even though it was not School Holidays .Please feel free to give some details Thanks Stephen .P.S. Learned something from you did not ever think of Murray 2 regions interesting. I do like the Riverland region...
FollowupID: 863446

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 09:00

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 09:00
http://www.cobdoglacaravanpark.com.au/

Not upmarket like Lake Bonney, but it has pool, BBQ area, amenities are kept clean and its right on the river.

AnswerID: 594887

Reply By: Member - Odog - Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 18:09

Thursday, Jan 14, 2016 at 18:09
Hi Stephen, wife and I did an overnight stop at Lake Bonney, wasn't many people at the time we were there, drove a few hundred metres along the lake edge, and flipped open the camp trailer, was so relaxing, and beautiful evening... Till the wind picked up.. Found the sand quite soft.. Didn't see or smell any dead fish.. Was just a transit stop on our way west, was in the camps 7 book.. Next night was at Membray Creek... Wasn't free, but hot showers, and beautiful spot.. The kookaburras were amazing, never heard so many at once.. We were both quite taken by their full on, no holes barred, let it rip! Attitude... Was like different groups,of ten or more competing against each family of them.. Amazing.. Would go back just for that.. Lol. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 594915

Sponsored Links