Motorhome on the Plenty Highway

Has anyone taken a Motorhome along the Donohue/Plenty Highway from Boulia to Alice Springs?
Were there any problems? Anything we should be aware of?
Our time here is finite - so make the most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 09:20

Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 09:20
There are motor homes and motor homes. I met a fella coming across in a Hi Ace van once. Never seen anyone with a motor home, but I'm sure some of the more robust ones could do it.
AnswerID: 594999

Follow Up By: Robyn R4 - Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:46

Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:46
We did it last June and had read that the name "Plenty Highway" stood for "plenty of corrugations". While I didn't think the corrugations were too bad (it all depends on your care and speed and how recently it was graded) the thing that threw us was the sharpness of the gravel!
There was no such thing as a puncture that you could repair...the tyre was shredded before you could pull over. According to the nice lady at Jervois, it was a lucky car that made it through with their spare unused that week, apparently!
While we did it in a souped-up Kia Sorento and camper trailer, the fact that it's a motorhome wouldn't be my main worry...how tough are the tyres, how many spares can you carry and how are you at changing them on the motorhome?!
Apart from the tyre shredding, I loved the drive and thought it was a very interesting and different way to cut across to the centre.
:)
FollowupID: 863599

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:32

Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:32
Only time I travelled the Plenty, there were several station hands doing a high speed run to the shop ( 100K's away ) for smokes....in a Commodore, so don't think the Plenty is anything but a normal dirt road.
Can be washed away a bit from rain at times, and is a rocky dirt road ( rocks the size of a 10 cent piece instead of small pebbles ), but driven to conditions is no harder than other dirt roads.
AnswerID: 595002

Reply By: wombat100 - Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:47

Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:47
2wd mercedes sprinter lwb motorhome/campervan- does this help
and also ayers rock to laverton wa
AnswerID: 595003

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:54

Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:54
It is just another long formed gravel road that varies with the traffic, the weather and the grader timing.
All sorts of vehicles use it.
Any damage that you incur will relate to the condition of your vehicle, its suitability and especially how fast you drive. Drive at 100kph and there is every likelihood that you will damage it. Drive at 10kph and there is very little chance.
You need to pick the speed between those that is appropriate on the day.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome

AnswerID: 595004

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 12:06

Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 12:06
Could not agree more. Travel at 10kph, takes 10 days but you see everything, you are relaxed, you take in solitude and wonderfull nights, no vehicle damage and you do get there happy.
Travel at 100kph and there is a good chance that you never get there, and if you do you have see nothing, you are tired and frazzled, the vehicle is damaged, and it will take you 9 days to effect all repairs and for yourself to recover. If time is an issue then don't take on so much..
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 863607

Reply By: Member - Graeme C11 - Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 13:14

Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 13:14
Thank's everyone. Great comments and lots of help
Our time here is finite - so make the most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595016

Reply By: Mikee5 - Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 13:43

Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 13:43
The only motorhome I have ever seen on the Plenty was doing about 10kph with the left wheels off the side of the road trying to avoid the corrugations and minimise the damage to his vehicle. Once you are in there is no real way around, you are committed.
AnswerID: 595018

Reply By: uncle arthur - Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 16:04

Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 16:04
Last year we took a caravan along the Plenty Highway from Alice to Boulia and had no problems at all. Take your time and drive to the conditions.
AnswerID: 595024

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 22:06

Saturday, Jan 16, 2016 at 22:06
Agree, Uncle.

When we went across the Plenty in Aug, 2011, we passed a 'van, and he was just poking along, driving to conditions.

We didn't find the corrugations bad on that trip. Don't forget there's quite a bit of bitumen on the Qld side(>100kms), and that stretch of black stuff, west from Gemtree.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 863633

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 10:47

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 10:47
We took a sturdy 20 ft caravan across in 2014. The corrugations were quite bad at the time and there was a lot of loose large gravel. We drove slowly and had no great problems except for one tyre that was punctured by a piece of wire probably from a cattle truck. The good folk at Tobermorey were able to repair it but changing the tyre out in the heat and dust was not enjoyable. We also lost one truck mirror. The biggest hazard is to your windscreen as on-coming vehicles are often driven carelessly and at speed with no thought to the damage they can easily inflict. Alice Springs has many prosperous looking windscreen replacement workshops! The other hazard is dust! At times we were driving through deep bull dust holes and dust rose well above the van's roof. You would need to make sure your motor home could be well dustproofed and that bathroom and roof vents would stay tightly shut as you rattled over corrugations! It was an interesting trip but, in terms of time, not really much of a short cut. Lynne
AnswerID: 595062

Sponsored Links