Kimberley WA. What's your best spots?

Hi All

Have some mates heading through the Kimberley this dry. They have been along the Gibb before.
Aside from that and heading up to Kalumburu, does anyone have any secret spots or tracks they are willing to share?

Cheers

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RobAck - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 11:04

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 11:04
If the want a serious 4WD challenge the Munja Track is the spot to consume a lot of time in low range enjoying some fantastic country with plenty of driving challenges along the way. But be prepared this can be one seriously tough track and not for the unskilled or poorly prepared

Rob
AnswerID: 595064

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 11:20

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 11:20
We drove the Munja Track to Batschen Camp and Walcott Inlet in 2005. At that time I described it as '100km per day' (including sight seeing, and there is a lot of that).
I would not describe it as éxtreme', but it is certainly not a 'walk in the park'.

There were 2 fees to pay. One to Mount Elizabeth Station (whose property some of it is on - was 08 9191 4664) and one to Bushtrack Safaries (Rick and Anne Jane was 08 9191 1547) who open the track up after each wet season.

Things may have changed since then....I suggest you contact both first.
Mount Elizabeth may have changed ownership recently.

Fantastic country.
Allow a week.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 863659

Follow Up By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 13:04

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 13:04
Another vote for the Munja, we took the camper as far as Bachsten camp last July, slow going but doable. We went down to Walcott as well without the camper, could have taken the camper there as well. Some of the jump ups were a bit tight (with camper on) and rough but nothing too bad, didn't need recovery equipment at all. Would be a different track early in the season if wet.
FollowupID: 863661

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 14:08

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 14:08
Slide show for the Munja Track, 2005.

http://s246.photobucket.com/user/Peter_n_Margaret/slideshow/05%203%20Munja%20Track%20to%20Walcott%20Inlet

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 863665

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 07:55

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 07:55
Hi Peter

Sorry, but that link doesn't work for me?

FollowupID: 863701

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 10:23

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 10:23
Sorry, it is long.... it works if you copy and paste it.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 863710

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 11:43

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 11:43
Carson River Station, if you can get permission.
It is owned by the Kalumburu Aboriginal Corporation, but was leased to the operators of Yeeda Station near Derby, from memory.
Some fantastic country including the King George Falls (which needs a long walk too).
Allow 5 days plus.

The Carson Track from Home Valley via Oombulgurri and Carson Station to Kalumburu.
This is extreme and you may not get permission for independent travel. They are running tag alongs through here now.

Mornington. Now owned by the Australian Wildlife Conservatory.

There are some great campsites along both sides of the lower Ord River, downstream from Kununurra. Pretty easy to get to.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.

AnswerID: 595068

Follow Up By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 13:08

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 13:08
Carson River track was great, I would agree with "extreme" rating. We did the tag along July 2015, but felt a bit ripped off to meet quite a few groups doing it independently (some had partial permits from Kalumburu end, some had no permits). We wouldn't have done it alone though, just too remote and too hard to organise a recovery if things went pear shaped. We didn't take the camper, and glad we didn't, the jump ups were very steep and rocky.

Mornington was great too
FollowupID: 863662

Follow Up By: 2000 Red Rodeo - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 18:25

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 18:25
We are seriously thinking about doing the Carson River track tag along tour this year. Given you have both done it, i hope you dont mind if i ask a few questions.

How did you find it? By what i have read so far a reliable and well set up 4wd is a must.

How much fuel did you carry? How many kms is the trip between fuel. I'm driving a 4.2td Patrol. I can normally go about 900kms between fills, but given a lot of the trip will be low range i'm assuming i will need to carry extra.

How did you find the tour? Good value for money? Well lead?

For us a couple of things appeal about the trip.
1) the remoteness and adventure
2) the opportunity to learn about aboriginal culture, etc.

What sort of pace do they go at? Relaxed or driving all day and night?

Thanks. Appreciate your thoughts!

Regards

Geoff

FollowupID: 863747

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 12:36

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 12:36
Walcott Inlet is a good 4WD run with some challenging jump-ups. Access to the water is somewhat limited by the mud and lizards, but worth it all the same.
AnswerID: 595070

Reply By: Member - Lisa & Peter (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 13:14

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 13:14
Cape Domett, north of Kununurra is a great remote spot also, spectacular views

cape Leveque north of Broome

Kalumburu, we stayed at Honeymoon beach, fantastic fishing if you have a boat (or a friend with a boat)

Do not miss Mitchell falls

Too many fantastic places! We spent four months in the area and never got bored
AnswerID: 595073

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 14:31

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 14:31
To get to Cape Domett, you need permission from Carson Hill Station as the track goes right through their property.
We spent a week there in 2007. Friends stayed on after we left and got caught by some unseasonal rain. They were stranded for another week. One of them had a son who lived in Kununurra. He arranged a search chopper and delivered beer, smokes and warm cloths. :)

Great spot.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 863667

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 15:10

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 15:10
Caravans are not welcome at the Kooljaman Resort, Cape Leveque. Booking is almost essential.
Great spot.
http://www.kooljaman.com.au/

Don't forget James Price Point on the Dampier Peninsula too.

We have collectively spent a few months at Kalumburu over the years, and most of that at Honeymoon Beach. We loved it there. But I would not go back without a boat for both fishing and exploring the coast and islands.
And if the locals tell you it is safe to swim, DO NOT BELIEVE THEM.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 863670

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 17:34

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 17:34
A short but interesting side trip is the Karunjie Track. It goes from Pentecost River on the GRR over to Wyndham either way is fine about 4 hours with spectacular views.

From Wyndham you go out to the Prison Tree and then keep going. It gets rougher at the GRR end

Alan
AnswerID: 595085

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 18:10

Sunday, Jan 17, 2016 at 18:10
Couple of pics along there.....
A few years ago, ElQuestro tried to stop people going through there because it transits their land. But it is a public road, so they couldn't. There is a gate at the Pentercost end and another along the way.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 863676

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 08:16

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 08:16
When we went through there in 2015 there was at least half a dozen gates along the way. Some shut some open so we left them as we found them.

Alan
FollowupID: 863702

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 09:03

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 09:03
We also used a track from the GRR gate just east of the El Questro turn off and went north and then a complete anti clockwise drive around the Cockburn Range. We joined the road already mentioned at Diggers Rest. We got a track not and permission from Emma Gorge resort. I think that the girls believed we were staying at their resort so it was easy and free. Who was I to tell anyone that they made an error.

We had the sun behind us (well kind of) all day so the mountain was magnificent.

You could always ask them.

That was in 2010 so things may have changed but it's worth asking if you stay or drop in to El Questro or Emma Gorge resorts.

You will see a photo in my link of Baz Lurhman when they were filming Australia on the mud flats. See if you can pick the spot he was standing on.

Phil
More photos here;Karunji Track photos on Photobucket

FollowupID: 863706

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 01:01

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 01:01
Lyndon, there are so many special places it's hard to know where to start. Of course all the famous places deserve time. Emma Gorge, Zeberdee Springs, Purnululu, Cable Beach, Mitchell Falls etc

We found our day trip to Lennard Gorge memorable. Steepish road track, followed by a rock climb demanding some agility. Great swimming hole, water falls, no-one else there.

On the other hand, the Ningbing track up to the coast north of Kununurra offers isolation and prehistoric terrain. Look out for salties.

Someone else mentioned the back road from Wyndham to Pentecost River - well worth it too.

Or just savour the majesty of the Cockburn Range.

It's an epic place. I'm long overdue for another trip.

Bob
AnswerID: 595100

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 12:50

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 12:50
Keep River N/Park isn't bad, as far as scenery goes. Nothing too challenging to drive in there though.

A run out to Keep River, along the Legune(or Webber Plain) Road, might be alright for a night or two. Think there's a track on western side of the River, where you can get further downstream.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595112

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 09:14

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 09:14
Hi Folks

Thanks for ALL the reply's. Will have to go through them with a fine tooth comb on the weekend. I should have said that a camper will be in tow most of the time (maybe excluding day trips).

Cheers

Lyndon

AnswerID: 595145

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 16:30

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 16:30
Lyndon.
Have found Parry Creek Farm a great spot near Wyndham a very nice place , got everything from great amenities and clean along with friendly owners and rates.
Even have a restaurant with good food, if you fancy some dining out.
Excellent spot to be based with visiting that area.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595159

Sponsored Links