Boat transport required.

Submitted: Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 22:35
ThreadID: 131395 Views:2095 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Mods. Delete if not allowed.

Hi all. I've just bought a new boat from Vic. ( I'm in Syd ), and am looking for a back load, low loader to bring it up for me. Obviously I'll pay accordingly. Ordinarily I'd just go and get it, but I've had back surgery pre Xmas, and am just not up to the 9hr each way run yet. Does anyone know of, or may be interested in bringing it up for me. The trailer isn't registered, so needs to be trucked. It's coming from Boronia, N/E Melb, coming to North Rocks, but I can pick up from Syd metro depo if need be.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 23:18

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 23:18
Steve, try the following sites;

Leisure Transport
Boat Terminal Transport & Storage

The first 4 sites put your job out on offer for quotes, and you can accept or decline any or all quotes.
Remember to put in as much information as possible - dimensions, any restrictions or hazards with the boat or trailer, whether you want door-to-door delivery or depot to depot (the last is always cheaper) - and make sure you get transit insurance, as no carrier insures the freight they carry.

It's highly unlikely you'll get a backload, as there would be very few trucks capable of carrying a boat running empty from Melbourne to Sydney.
It's a route where there's always freight available, unlike to the East out of Perth.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 595139

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 23:23

Monday, Jan 18, 2016 at 23:23
What size boat? It can be towed with a VicRoads permit, or just register the trailer, it's cheap in Victoria!

AnswerID: 595140

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 06:29

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 06:29
Similarly in NSW you can get (used to anyway) a temp plate. Can't remember the details byt RTA would know.
Going to be much easier if it could be towed.
FollowupID: 863768

Follow Up By: Steve D1 - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 07:22

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 07:22
Hi. It could have a Vic roads permit, only the trailer has never been rego'd, and I'm not confident in the reliability of the wheel bearings or tyres. It's only been used to rolll in the the river from the owners property. Too often I see vans, boats, trailers out for the once a year excursion, sitting on the side of the road, with wheels missing, or blown tyres. I don't want to be one of those people. Once I've got it here, I'll change all of that for my own piece of mind.

The total length is 8.4mtrs, hitch to stern.


FollowupID: 863769

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 08:31

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 08:31
I was a yacht broker for 20 years & involved in selling boats all over Australia & arranging transport. If it was me, for a relatively small boat I would either have the trailer serviced & then flat towed, or arrange a tilt tray to take it. We used Victorian Tilt Trays.
FollowupID: 863772

Follow Up By: tonysmc - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 10:48

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 10:48
You will find that towing a trailer with a permit you are not allowed to carry anything on that trailer, however I see that you can carry a boat with a permit. I think the problem may be once you hit the NSW boarder you need another permit from the first available registration centre. (Albury in this case) to go on to Sydney.
As stated the trailer is not suited for towing in any case. You will find that transport company's don't like transporting boats as they are a pain to load and tie down, so they charge accordingly.
Good luck.
FollowupID: 863783

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 21:12

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 at 21:12
Steve, please call me on 041 9990888, norm
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595175

Sponsored Links