REDARC SBI212 override not working

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 14:40
ThreadID: 131438 Views:2068 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have a redarc SBI212 (the 200amp one) and it has been going great for 2+ years in my LC200. In late 2014 I went overseas for 6 weeks and when I came back the starter battery was too low to start the car (I took out the 2 original batteries and put a big starting battery on the left and wired a deep cycle for fridge use on the right side via the redarc. I also put a momentary switch on the redarcs override wire in the cabin).
So I hit the momentary switch for ten seconds and kept it on and started the car. Fantastic.
This year again I went away for 5 weeks and again the start battery was too low. I hit the override button again but this time there was nothing. No click - zilch. I tested the deep cycle battery and it had plenty of charge.
So my question is what could be wrong. Has the solenoid in the redarc ceased? I bypassed the override switch and applied 12V directly to the blue wire and still nothing. I didn't check if it draws any current but I doubt it as no sparks were observed.

Any ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 16:09

Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 16:09
Assuming the SBI was working ok before you tried to start the car, if you can't hear the solenoid click and see the led light the Redarc is probably kaput.

Other things to consider, when you tested it with new batteries the cranker was probably doing all the work. With the cranker low there would have been quite a bit of current flowing, if you have fuses or circuit breakers in the wiring between the cranker and the aux is it possible they have blown/tripped?

If the cranker was very low did you have an ovelroad indication on the SBI?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595327

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 16:25

Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 16:25
If that happens you can always attach both the wires on the REDARC onto the crank battery bolt and get the same result. Works in an emergency

We had one cark it like that. Everyhing wears out eventually.
AnswerID: 595328

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 18:27

Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 18:27
Have you spoken to Redarc. They are normally pretty excellent on their customer service and support.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595337

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 18:28

Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 18:28
Neil,
give Redarc a call. I have always found them very helpful. My old model SBI started doing funny things in Kazakhstan. By the time I returned to Aus it was 9 months out of warranty. They still replaced it with the new model after testing it.
AnswerID: 595338

Reply By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Jan 24, 2016 at 22:43

Sunday, Jan 24, 2016 at 22:43
Go to ARB ask them to have look Redarc told me to do it with my setup
AnswerID: 595387

Reply By: Neil B13 - Monday, Jan 25, 2016 at 09:29

Monday, Jan 25, 2016 at 09:29
Problem solved!! Thanks for the ideas it helped me over the weekend. Also you guys are right about RedArc. But 7am Monday they responded with what to check - but I had discovered that on the weekend.

What happened was the earth wire on the top had been stretched and pulled over onto the cranking battery terminal - thus shorting out at some stage. I fixed the earth and all is working fine again.

Thanks again everyone.
Neil
AnswerID: 595394

Sponsored Links