Wiring light bar to spotties

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 16:06
ThreadID: 131440 Views:9791 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
For any auto electricians here, I am hoping you can help me. My nephew is an auto sparky but is overseas at the moment. He wired in our initial spotties for us to the high beam. I've gone ahead and since bought an LED lightbar and want both the spots and bar running off one switch, as I have plans for the other blanks in my Dmax
Before he went overseas he suggested the following wiring set up.
1 switch
2 relays (one for existing spots which is already there and one for the bar)
New Relay for light bar wire 85 to 85 on the existing relay)86-86, 30- battery, 87- lightbar positive, earth lightbar to ground.
I forgot to ask if anything runs to the switch but I'm thinking not as he has already tapped into the power from the original spotties, and there are no more spare terminals on the relay. Before I go ahead does this sound right? I'm not second guessing him, I just forgot to ask about the dash switch

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Zippo - Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 16:38

Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 16:38
No connection required to the existing switch - the new relay will have its coil connected in parallel with the existing one. Simple add-on..
AnswerID: 595329

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 16:44

Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 16:44
I would suggest another switch so that you can turn the floods off if not required.

If you want the extra switch you would need to insert it between the tow 85 or 86 terminals.
You maybe able to run just one wire to the switch and use a ground or earth to control the relay but not knowling how the relay is being triggered can'y say for sure.

Don't forget a fuse in the battery wire.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 595330

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 18:02

Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 18:02
TEA,

I'd make up a couple of leads like this:

to link the 2 relays together. Might just need some heat shrink on the female of the piggy back terminal, to reduce likelihood of a short.

From my experience, I'd be reluctant to have both lights on one switch. While it might seem simple to wire up, and give you other switching options for "ron", there are sure to be times, especially where you live, where all those lumens are just a bit too much.

Anyway, you can only try it, eh!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 595333

Follow Up By: Top End Az - Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 19:32

Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 19:32
Thanks Bob and to all other responses. My nephew wires up 4WDs for a living so will go the one switch at the moment and see how it goes. After I thought about it a bit more, the switch should operate both relays. The bar is a Sunyee eBay job. Their stuff previous has been good, although I doubt for the price ($150) I will be lighting up as much as the top shelf stuff.

Bob, funnily enough, I made up some relay jumper leads this arvo almost exactly as the ones you posted, so good to know I'm on the right track.
FollowupID: 864005

Reply By: Roachie Silverado - Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 21:15

Saturday, Jan 23, 2016 at 21:15
Another option you could consider is to replace the existing SPST switch with a DPDT switch.

That way you could have it in the CENTRE (OFF) position for just using the factory high beam, throw it in the Down position to have spotties AND LED bar operating with high beam, or throw it in the UP position for just the LED bar or just the spotties.

You would need to decide what auxilliary light you'd prefer if you could only use one not both.
My suggestion would be you'd have the LED bar as the "single" option and when you choose the other/double option you get all the lights on.

Doing it that way you still only use one dash blanking plate. I've done it that way on my previous rigs, but my current set up is for the Fyrlyts to be on a separate switch to the 180 watt LED bar. Invariably the LED bar gets used first because it's not as bright as the Fyrlights which are better for those long distance outback trips where you want to blind the roos and live stock from a kilometer away!!!
AnswerID: 595344

Sponsored Links