Squeaky right front axle in 1985 Jackaroo

Submitted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:24
ThreadID: 13145 Views:1995 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have had my 1985 Jackaroo for 3 years now. It infrequently develops a very annoying squeak in the right front axle area, that can be heard by anyone within earshot of the car when it is moving. The squeak occurs when turning or going over a bump, and usually persists for several weeks or even months. It then just stops.

My mechanic is at a loss to correctly diagnose and correct the problem. The last time it happened was after the car had its regular 5,000 km service. When I started to drive the car after the service, the squawk was terrible. I took it back probably 3 times and each time he lubed up the entire area to try to stop the problem - to no avail. He thought it might have been the shocks, so he replaced them. They were apparently the originals, and now I have nice new heavy duty gas shocks - one good outcome (although expensive) as now the Jack is more stable around corners and over bumps. However, this did not address the problem. About 3 months after the squeak started, it has now largely stopped.

Any ideas as to the problem and its solution?

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Banjo - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:35

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 13:35
Mo' info please .....is the squeak in time with axle rotation or possibly in time with vertical movement of the car etc. ? If the former, it might be brakes (seeing they don't get lubed). If the latter, it might be suspension bushes (other than the shockers that you covered). Process of elimination it seems...if you can produce changes to the scenario by engaging / dis-engaging the front hubs and drive, that should be a pointer too.
AnswerID: 60063

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:01

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:01
Hi Brendan.
You might like to try this ;-
Try spraying one bush at a time with a silicon spray, it may point you in the right direction.
Ray
AnswerID: 60069

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 17:01

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 17:01
Are you sure its not disc brake squeek?
AnswerID: 60090

Reply By: hoyks - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:36

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:36
If it is when the wheel is at or near full lock it may be the bump stops on the steering. A blob of grease will fix that.
AnswerID: 60157

Sponsored Links