3.2l V6 Jackaroo timing belt

Submitted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 14:48
ThreadID: 13146 Views:9830 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone changed the timing belt on their V6 Jackaroo themselves and if so, how did they go about it? Mine has just done 100,000 kms and needs to have it changed. I do all of the servicing myself and would like to do this job myself as well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 08:53

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 08:53
Are you very mech competent ??, just asking because this job is a biggie, and involves a fair bit of dissasembly at the front of the engine. You should also replace the belt tensioner at this time, and check for any leaks on the internal water pump. The belts from memory have marks on them to aid in the initial install alignment, might as well fit a new serpentine belt as well, and check the idler pulley for wear while you are at it. It will cost a fair bit of coin, and put you off the road for a few days at least.. Holden will charge you at least $ 1100 for the service without the tensioner etc.. Any good workshop should charge a heap less.

If you are going to go for it yourself, order the hard copy manuals from holden spare parts ( about $400) Also get them to supply copies of all the recent tech bulletins for your jack..It will be worth it especially as you do your own work on the vehicle.
AnswerID: 60202

Reply By: Trevor - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 21:50

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 21:50
Peter,
Firstly, I might clear something up for other readers.
The 3.2L petrol Jackaroo engine has a timing belt for the camshafts and three seperate belts for the alternator, air con and power steering.
The timing belt is scheduled to be changed every 100,000Km.
The 3.5L engine uses a chain for the cams and an external serpentine belt for the others.
The belt in our car needed changing last year.
I rang a few Holden Dealers here in Adelaide and was quoted $1,100 - $1,400 for the job. They had varying ideas on what was done for the money.
Basically it was change the belt, change the idler pulley and fit a new water pump.
A local mechanic told me that he normally changed the belt and nothing else.
At 200,000Km the belt would again be changed along with the water pump and the camshaft front end seals. A kit is available for this job.
Anyway, he changed our belt and installed a new set of spark plugs.
Cost was $261.
12 months and 22,000km later, the tensioner on the Aircon belt developed a noise.
The same mechanic changed its bearing. Cost was $30.
In answer to your question, you could do the work yourself if you have enough time, use quality tools and are handy with them.
Jackaroo workshop manuals are a bit pricey. Perhaps if you joined the Jackaroo Club in your state you could borrow one from their library.
I do my own servicing and small jobs, but I'm happy to let somebody more skilled than me do the major work provided the cost is reasonable.

Cheers,
Trev
AnswerID: 60514

Sponsored Links