Man uses his SUV to attempt tree stump removal

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 08:41
ThreadID: 131466 Views:3407 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The American way

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Nothing hammers home this line of thinking quite like the gentleman in the video below who tried to remove a tree stump with his SUV. Can he remove a tree stump by tying a strap from the stump to his SUV and stepping on the gas? You bet. Should he? Well, watching what happens after he frees the tree stump from the earth tells us everything we need to know
The driver of the vehicle, who the YouTube video title calls Paul, had other options. The average cost for remove tree removal service can range anywhere from $500 to $1000, but the average price of a professional stump removal service is around $165. Instead, Paul opts for the yank-out-of-the-ground approach which sent the stump hurdling towards his SUV before smashing the rear windshield.
Carsdirect.com states that front and rear windshields are the most expensive to replace, averaging around $300. In other words, almost double what Paul would have paid to have the stump professionally removed. The YouTube video, which was posted on Jun. 7, 2015, also shows that in all likelihood there was body damage to the top of Paul's SUV as well.

I wish when people use a mobile phone to take videos they would hold the thing horizontal instead of upright....

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:37

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:37
To many people have no idea of just how dangerous a snatch strap can be, when used either incorrectly or for a purpose it's not designed for.
AnswerID: 595488

Reply By: Mudripper - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:37

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:37
This is the same sort of person that would join two snatch-straps together with a bow shackle...

Have removed many stumps over the years but using the slow and steady approach - winch and snatch blocks! Also, by going slow most of the roots come up with the stump as opposed to simply breaking off when too much speed is used.

I'm sure 'Paul' would have been handed some sort of Redneck Award for his contribution lol.
AnswerID: 595489

Reply By: Gronk - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 14:30

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 14:30
It's yankie land and the bloke would have never been 4wding or anything.

Seemed like a good idea at the time ??

At least he got to live and learn !!
AnswerID: 595495

Reply By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 16:12

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 16:12
i have done this safely many times over many years using 8 mtr long hi-tensile snig chain never had a problem but i would never use a snatch strap that's
asking for trouble the chain drops to the ground as soon as the stump comes out
AnswerID: 595502

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 16:19

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 16:19
With a little more effort, he could have won himself a Darwin Award! - just like this other bloke did!

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23478637/freak-accident-removing-tree-stump-kills-man-aurora
AnswerID: 595503

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 18:42

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 18:42
Thanks Ron, yeh I seen that one too, but did you see the bloke with the Chain saw and bloke up a ladder with chain saw...I'll find the links for you..
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 864214

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 18:46

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 18:46
Bloke up the ladder with a chain saw

and this one....The magic tree

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 864215

Follow Up By: Ron N - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 20:36

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2016 at 20:36
Doug, if you wanted to look at all the YouTube videos associated with carrying out acts of downright stupidity, then I think you could occupy a lot of your time!
It's just like the regular news, where you have to skip over the constant reports of some idiot or idiots wiping themselves out in some spectacular manner, every day of the week!
A very large portion of reported "news" items, seems to comprises acts of stupidity, carelessness, and lack of foresight.
It's amazing how often trees feature as a big part of those dangerous stunts.
As the Americans say, "You cain't fix stoopid!".

Then, of course - you get the guys like this one below - who is a true tree professional! [:-)

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 864219

Sponsored Links