Manual Hubs on Pajero

Submitted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 17:43
ThreadID: 13150 Views:6874 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I just bought a 1991 2.5TD NH Pajero. It has 'Super Select' which, by my simple way of thinking, means that the hubs are effectively locked all the time hence the ability to shift to 4wd whilst travelling. When I jack up the front and rotate the wheels, the front driveshaft, CV's etc all turn as well which also leads me to the above conclusion so...

In an effort to reduce the wear on certain drivetrain components is it worthwhile putting in some AVM manual hubs. I understand I lose the 'Super Select' ability and have to get out of the vehicle to lock hubs etc, but I've always had manual hubs until now which is why I ask the question.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 18:54

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 18:54
Unsure as to exactly how the super select works, but it's probally similar to the surf where it has an electronic actuator that locks in the RHS axel to the diff. Hence when out of 4wd your diff is still working and one axel is still spinning but it's not engaging the diff so to speak so extra fuel consuption would be minimal. There is of course wear on the axel and some diff components, however it was designed to work like that, just like to rear diff was designed to work all the time, so I figure, what the hell! Why fix it if it ain't broke. Besides I'm getting quite used to whacking it in 4wd when I hit a gravel road or if it's slippery and I want to show those loser comodore drivers what traction is all about at the lights!
Or when the other blokes are out in the mud and rain locking their hubs and I'm inside listening to my Mp3s with the heater on. :-))
AnswerID: 60109

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:10

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:10
They had two totally different systems. The Hi-Luxes (Surfs) of the time had the axle activation system you talk about, but the Pajero's had auto hubs which is a different system. A similar auto hub system was fitted to upmarket GQ's of the day, but they also had a manual override system where you took your wheel brace and manually locked in the hubs to ensure they would not disengage when using reverse to try and rock out of a bog.

Some were known at the time to remove the auto hubs from Pajero's and fit manual ones to stop losing 4wd when reversing.

Jim.
FollowupID: 321701

Follow Up By: uppy - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:49

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:49
Hi Jeff ,Im the other boke who has to get out in the rain and mud to put the hubs in Im going to teach the kids to do it .Then i will have auto hubs.I well ring later on today. Ive got to go to town to buy a washing machine
regards uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 321784

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:58

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:58
LOL, Yeah uppy but you'll be the one having the last laugh though, when I am poking my tounge out at you and pushing my swanky gismo button and nothing bloody happens!
The 'ol school bus GQ will never have any worries like that!
And what's the point in having kids if they can't let your tyres down and lock the hubs?? :-)
PS I've got a good washing machine in the shed, it may be a little small for you guys though...
FollowupID: 321788

Reply By: Jimbo - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:04

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:04
My recollection of Super Select is that the hubs automatically engaged ( they were a chrome hub marked "Auto Hub" or something similar. When you went back to 2wd they were supposed to automatically disengage, however this didn't always happen and the way to get them to disengage was to reverse for a few yards to free them. I am working from memory here so don't bank on it; just recall reading this years ago. Give it a try, it won't cost anything.

The only complaint most have about auto hubs is their propensity to disengage at the worst possible time, under heavy load (again this was a while ago, around the time you are talking).

Jim.
AnswerID: 60114

Reply By: Groove - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:32

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:32
I had a 91 pajero for a few years. The front hubs are auto locking. They engage when you shift to four wheel drive and move forward or back a bit.

There are two lights on the dash, one to show when four wheel drive is engaged, the other to show when the hubs are locked.

I never had a problem with these hubs and I really gave the car a hard time, cape york, simpson desert twice, etc etc.

Cheers
AnswerID: 60139

Follow Up By: Groove - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:36

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 20:36
PS My hubs never ever dis-engaged when I didnt want them to.

FollowupID: 321716

Follow Up By: hoyks - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:30

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:30
Mine do. Try climbing a hill, lift a wheel and back off the accelerator. It makes a horrible noise when the wheel overruns the axle then locks again.
FollowupID: 321730

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:50

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:50
Vegie,
You would have 2H, 4H, 4HLC, 4LLC on the transfer lever.
In 2H and 4H you can drive on a hard surface.
4HLC( 4wd, High range, Lock Centre) you can drive on dirt, sand and snow
4LLC(4wd, Low range, Lock Centre) use this when the going gets tough
The vehicle can be driven in 2H or 4H on the open road. 2H means that only the back wheels are been driven. This will reduce the wear on the front diff and the extra fuel it might use. If it was raining I would select 4H as this will give you the drive to the front wheels. This gear box has the ability to run in constant 4wd and 2wd.
When 4HLC or 4LLC is selected the transfer gears are locked and the drive is split 50% front 50% rear. Fitting the manual hubs will not be of any advantage as the hubs and the gear box are doing what you want and that is to run in 2wd or 4wd.

Wayne
AnswerID: 60162

Reply By: MrBitchi - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 08:06

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 08:06
Vegie,
Sounds like the hubs and actuators need servicing. They should fully disengage when you select H2.
The Super Select system uses vacuum actuators to engage the auto hubs. I believe it requires positive vacum to hold the hubs disengaged and releases the vacum to engage them. So if you have a vacuum leak the hubs will never disengage.
Try your rotation test with the engine running with H2 selected (in nuetral of course!)

John
AnswerID: 60196

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:53

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:53
That sounds more like it Vegie, I didn't think that they had bog standard auto locking hubs.
FollowupID: 321786

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 12:09

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 12:09
Oh yeah the pain of that vacuum system, we had one in at the workshop that wasn't disengaging , the dash lights just kept blinking etc...

Was some damage to the actuator, fixed that, no different. ended up playing all sorts of games with the vac lines with vac pumps etc , went totally mad. Ended up being one of the selector valves cactus.. bugger to get a replacement at the time.. changed both valves , bingo like new..
FollowupID: 321791

Sponsored Links