Mount Airlie Genowlan Point (via Capertee NSW)

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 10:19
ThreadID: 131508 Views:6359 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I haven't been up there for a few years now & want to return to that spectacular track. Can anyone who has been there recently tell me if it's still open?
The owner of the property below the track (Col Rebaux) excuse spelling. Sold out to a local mine, he continued to run the place until he passed on or the mines commenced operations. Col could be gone now? Can anyone say for certain if access to the track is still possible please.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 10:42

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 10:42
We were up there last Easter.
National Parks have got control of the area but it's still open except when it's too wet.
Lithgow 4wd Club had a lot to do helping the brothers up there. If you can google a contact for them or NPWS in Mudgee they can answer your questions.
It's a great part of the World all through there.

Steve
AnswerID: 595696

Follow Up By: TONI on patrol - Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 10:45

Sunday, Jan 31, 2016 at 10:45
Cheers Steve. Will do.
FollowupID: 864400

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 11:41

Monday, Feb 01, 2016 at 11:41
See it quick!

Read this - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/publications/parks/150508-mugiisca-pom-draft.htm
AnswerID: 595762

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 13:48

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 13:48
I went up there a few weeks ago. Met Col as the access is through his property. Be prepared for a long chat - Col has some interesting stories to tell. I also found this while browsing. I'm sure there's more.

The attached map gives you an idea of where you can go. The track to Glenowlan Point was too tough for my BT50 - big rock steps - but I got a ride in a well set up Patrol coming back from that area and he had no problems other than locked gates.

The Grotto is beautiful as are the views from the various escarpments.Well worth a visit.

Re the map - the toilets shown at Airly camping area do not exist. Airly Turret is a wonderful little campsite on the top of the mesa - no facilities.

All the marked gates are there, except I'm not sure about the Proposed Gate on the Glenowlan trail - I didn't get that far. Col says the controlled access gate is generally open - only closed when hazards exist - wet track, fires, etc.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596756

Follow Up By: TONI on patrol - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 13:58

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 13:58
Thanks Frank.
I sure about the track condition & Col's story telling as I've been up there on many occasions. But not in the last three years. Was checking that the track was still available & great that Col is still kicking. ??

I've been to the very end of the track & yes it's not for the faint of heart.

Thank you V much for your reply.
FollowupID: 865718

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 08:28

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 08:28
That's for sure Toni. That is the first track that I have turned around on in 50 years and not completed. I should have known better.

Went with a group. Two broken cars but the other few went all the way. We didn't break anything just didn't want to damage the car in any way. Mainly because we do lots of solo trips in the deserts and need a 100% reliable car to bring us home. The right car will simply eat it up. But it has to be the right car and driver.

But it's a good challenge and if the car is up to it you will enjoy yourself.

Phil
FollowupID: 865743

Sponsored Links