G60 Patrol power steering & diff locks

Submitted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:19
ThreadID: 13157 Views:4269 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
1) Does anyone have or know of diff locks for a G60 patrol heavy duty model?
2) Has anyone had anything to do with a power steering conversion to a G60?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:58

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 19:58
Geez..another G60 owner...I thought I was alone in the universe...hahahaha

Can't answer your question on diff locks but mine is a heavy duty model. I take it you want to use the truck for rock climbing comps? Don't need diff locks out bush...the truck is strong enough to tackle the most difficult terrain.

Can't answer your question on power steering but it would be nice to have. I once contacted a bloke in Adelaide about fitting a power steering unit to a G60 but he had never heard of a G60. It shouldn't be too difficult to install. Just cut the steering pole, fit the power pump and fit an additional pulley. I could do with one.

Cheers
AnswerID: 60125

Reply By: timg60 - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:05

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:05
Willem, I have spent most of today looking up G60 stuff and have read most of your messages, you are very knowledgable about G60's, what exactly do you do for a living? As for rock hoping comps, not not for me. Yes, i have no doubt about their toughness in the bush. However, my dad has just spent a forture putting F&R lockers into his 88Rangie, and the difference is huge. I am after a diff locker simply so i go up rough mountain tracks a bit slower, as your aware they "jump" around a bit.... I have located a LSD for them that was manufactured in the early 80's but i would prefer a locker. By the way, how many splines do the rear axles have in the heavy duty type, and are there two versions so to speak?
AnswerID: 60148

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 09:02

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 09:02
Timg60,

"what exactly do you do for a living?"...........Annoy people on the internet..hahahaha....Retired mate...been there done that. Mechanically minded but un-trained, so most things are Willembuilt :-)

Yeah, I agree Lockers would help. I have driven a Rangie with just the Centre lock over some extremely rough country, so a Rangie with F&R Lockers would be awesome.

Have no idea how many splines the rear diff has on the G60HD model. This is the model that is still being built today for the army in India and I presume everything in the drive train is re-inforced. The only alternative to your problem would be to fit later model diffs(GQ) with Lockers, if that is feasible.

Cheers
FollowupID: 321765

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:13

Tuesday, May 25, 2004 at 21:13
I dont like your chances of lockers... Dude was tryin to get a Detriot for a MQ/MK today and not available anymore.

Try ARB if anyone has them, it is probably them.

failing that try www.outerlimits4x4.com forums.
AnswerID: 60151

Reply By: trebor - Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 19:59

Thursday, Jun 17, 2004 at 19:59
it is possible to fit an arb diff lock rd71 or rb 71 to a g 60 heavy diff (34 spline) as I have one in mine however a component requires fitting to the diff lock to be able to put one in a g60 and this has to be made ( I made mine as i am a fitter turner) and then hardened and put into the innards of the diff lock .I found this easy but as i said i am a tradie arb are unaware of this possibility but it is the ducks guts
On the lsd they are the easiest answer. out of the lwb mq with the p40 motor.
I had one of these in mine till the diff lock came along and they are fantastic mate now has it in his g60 and is rapt as was I
Feel free to pick my brain
rob
AnswerID: 63642

Sponsored Links