Breather Pipe filling with water Jayco Outback 2015

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 13:00
ThreadID: 131579 Views:6299 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Jayco Journey Outback 2015 model, when filling the water tank from mains pressure we are assuming there are no airlocks are tanks are showing full by the gauge. But there must be water staying in the breather pipe. Trying to fill from gerry cans with 12v pump, can't get much water in, flows out because there must be water in the breather. Now, have been underneath and the breather pipe runs up and down under chassis - not level and got all these "dips" in. RV Service man (pretty good bloke) says it's not just a Jayco problem. Never had it with Coromal 2006 as it was a different system.
Jayco tanks are only 82 lts x 2, Coromal was 2 x 90 lts, so we need to get as much water into Jayco as we are already short. Need some inspirations please.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 508 - Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 14:53

Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 14:53
If your saying that the breather pipes run up and down under the chassis with "dips", well the manufacturer has not done their job properly or a bad design. Being a 2015 model you should be able to get the dealer to rectify the problem, the sooner the better. It's basic knowledge for the manufacturer that airlocks in breather pipes hinder the filling of tanks through the filler cap.
AnswerID: 596121

Reply By: swampy - Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 16:55

Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 16:55
hi
Breather must run gradually from top of tank to a higher mounting point . At a guess the tanks are filled till there is water coming out and at that stage the breather is filling up and then not self draining . The next time u fill u have issues . Either re route the pipe and or make the pipe bigger also will also help . Add 2nd breather to the opposite corner .Use semi rigid plastic pipe [truck air line ] less likely to get dips etc

The same function as older fuel tanks but they had there pipes
almost going vertical immediately upon exit
air pockets in top of tank [the water tanks donot]
multiple breather lines to tank
AnswerID: 596130

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 18:12

Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 18:12
Have you got any bungs in the bottom of the tanks ?

If so, fit some taps and click on garden fittings and fill with the hose from there ( slowly ).
Keep filling until water flows freely out the breather(s).
This system works well, and as said, unless the whole setup has been done properly, filling from the normal inlet can be a real pain in the rear end !!

I did this mod to my van ( 2 x 80ltr tanks ) and even though it takes a good 10mins+ to fill, and you do get a bit of gurgling and water spitting out the overflow, it does get the tanks completely full.
AnswerID: 596133

Follow Up By: Bob R4 - Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 20:55

Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 20:55
Why the bloody hell would you have a filler cap if you need to crawl under to fill by a drainer location.
Inept manufacturers need to be brought to account and do their job.
Simple.

Bob
FollowupID: 864989

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 22:11

Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 22:11
I can't answer why they are so hard to fill by the filler cap, but you don't have to crawl under the van to fill up......just bring out the hose( and tap) to the outside edge of the van.

If you have a normal garden hose and you fill by the filler cap, you need to take off the click on fitting to get the hose down the filler neck, so in general, easier and quicker to fill from the bottom, and it naturally pushes the air upwards and out the breather(s)
FollowupID: 864993

Follow Up By: Bob R4 - Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 22:34

Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 22:34
Gronk,

I hear what you say, but I think Jayco are inept to allow such a basic function to require anything but a straight forward and simple procedure such as putting the hose in the filler and fill it up without complications.
Maybe they don't care about their clients.
I'm sure they would have enough experience to check what works and what doesn't.

Bob
FollowupID: 864995

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 08:00

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 08:00
Yeah, it's not common to your Jayco.

I experienced a similar problem with my Goldstream Camper Van soon after delivery.
Could hear the pump labouring when using the tap for any length of time and took ages to fill or empty the tank.

I removed the breather pipe from the top of the water tank and immediately heard the whoosh of air being sucked into the tank as the positive pressure was released. I checked the breather hose run and it also undulated along the underside of the floor and chassis cross rails towards the front where the filler cap is located.
I connected an air compressor to the removed end of the hose and with the filler cap removed, ejected the water lying in the breather pipe. Hmm I thought. This is crap.

I determined this was a design fault and installed a new breather hose out the back and up the rear bumper support arms, terminating at a fuel breather fitting.
All good now.

I had a similar problem with the grey water hose which ran from the sink on the left hand side and undulated across to the right hand side, before a right angle elbow directed it downwards. There was an air lock present that stopped efficient water flow when the sink plug was removed.
I ended up pulling the corrugated hose back rerouting the outlet down on the left hand side where the water can drain unimpeded into the grey water "snake", or a bucket.

Goldstream had/have a very good name but these two minor design errors or incorrect installation techniques left me a little bit peeved, after spending close to $50,000 for a new van.
It just wasn't worth the hassle for me to take the van back to the dealer for possible remedial repair work.. At least I know my fixes work.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596149

Reply By: Member - gonefish - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 16:38

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 16:38
Thanks for the input all, the way Jayco did the breather is through the bottom (via a drilled hole) of the chassis rail, back up the top across to the next chassis rail and then down again into through the next hole. Undulating is an excellent term. If they haven't got a fix on a most common problem they never are going to.

Was thinking along the same lines Sand Man, re-routing totally as you said and having a fuel type filter at the end coming out the rear. The only concern is that we will be doing a lot of gravel road travel, what about the dust coming in the filter. Haven't been back underneath to have a rethink yet. Major problems will go back under warranty, but things like this, it may take Jayco three weeks to work something out, better being done by oneself.

When we were filling from the mains, we thought it was ok. But filling from the gerry cans - what a waste of time. And we will be needing to fill like that at times. The 12v pump to drop into the container works a treat. Takes about 3 minutes for 20 litres. (The first 20 litres went in ok luckily)

Guess if there wasn't some refinement needed, blokes wouldn't have anything to ponder on the road or at home (says the wife).
Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596181

Reply By: ed c1 - Friday, Feb 19, 2016 at 08:17

Friday, Feb 19, 2016 at 08:17
the reason for your blow back or slow fill problems is that most water tanks fill from the bottom, there for there is always water in the bottom of the tank. now when filling your tank/s you have a restriction at the tank entry / take off /drain plug point, your 25 mm fill hose is reduced to about 12 mm in this connection, also if like my jayco on the rear tank there is a u turn in the 25 mm hosecheck this point for kinks. ( i used 2x 90 deg. bends instead.) now each 90% bend and i have 3 the 2 i put in plus the one inside the connection slows the flow by about 5% for each bend.
now when filling your tank/s you have all those plus the water at the bottom of the tank..and when you try to fill the air in the 25 mm has to come out and the only way out is up the fill hose bugger!

the fix get a rubber foot off a chair or some thing that is a good fit on your hose /siphon hose .one with a nice tapper,,,now with a sharp blade cut the bottom off a bit at a time until you expose the bottom of the hole, or use a wad punch,. now slip this onto your hose about 200 mm tapered end to end of hose.. now when filling your tank slip the hose in the fill hose up to rubber foot to seal off now fill your tank. CAUTION make sure air vents are clear, easy way to check is to open the drain point at tank the water should come out in a nice stream if it is going glug glug glug there is a problem in the vent. jayco air vents terminate just near your fill point , careful when filling as when tank is full the water will come out of this vent
I have one on my normal hose which I leave on and put my click fittings on or off as required.I also have one on my siphon and pump hoses
no more wet arse and a full tank every time

AnswerID: 596378

Follow Up By: Member - gonefish - Friday, Feb 19, 2016 at 19:35

Friday, Feb 19, 2016 at 19:35
Thanks for that info, from a Jayco as well, at this stage, I have made the modification of getting two fuel filters and cutting the breather pipe, put a filter onto each up high, that way it's out of the dust and works a treat. Yep, takes about another 5 minutes to fill, and I still have left the breather pipe there so if it needs to be rejoined it can still happen. Going to Brookton for the Old Time Motor Show (first chance to get away) so will see how we go with a gerry can fill as well. Can't just drop the water at home, too darn expensive, so will trial on the road close to home. I'll post an update, and have printed the responses as I don't go online yet while we are away. Thanks and cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865283

Sponsored Links