OziExplorer - New PC Version (3.95.6f) released

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 19:06
ThreadID: 131585 Views:4241 Replies:1 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Release Version 3.95.6f (February 2016)
Added "Open Topo Maps" to Internet Maps, this map is really only for Europe at this stage.
Fixed many issues when manipulating track points.

Ozi PC Download Page

Nothing super radical, though if you mess around with track files a lot (like I do) additions/fixes should be a bonus.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 19:27

Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 19:27
Ages ago he mentioned adding the ability to have direction up , sometimes I find myself turning left instead of right and visa versa, wonder if he'll ever get around to it.
AnswerID: 596138

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 20:02

Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 20:02
We are all different. I just cannot work with direction up, I find it totally confusing to know where I am in the world. Maybe Des is the same and does not see the point in doing it.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 864981

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 20:21

Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 20:21
Yes, I also find "direction up" confusing (when using other programs/gps units that have the function) ,especially when walking through the bush as screen rotates all over the place if you start taking slight sidesteps etc - makes it hard to head to a specific point.

It has actually been implemented on the CE and Android versions (sort of ..map rotates 90° to N, S, E or W depending on main direction of travel, but nothing in between).

Anyway - if it was an option it would be great for those who like it and if you didn't you could turn it off.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 864987

Follow Up By: J&A&KK - Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 22:30

Thursday, Feb 11, 2016 at 22:30
I have observed that map orientation is a very personal thing. Having been in the survey industry for years, a lot of time in the bush, I have seen North up and "heading Up" being used by very competent surveyors. I remember once flying an aerial survey (management observer) and was astonished to see one of our best navigators turning the map around ( prior GPS) to be " heading up" at all times. When I asked him why he stated " it's all relative to where I am heading" and that's all that matters. I know when on driving holidays in Europe, the navigator turning the map around, has often resulted in WW3. In a digital world it's probably a feature that should be able to be turned on or off. From a software point of view it may not be so simple.
FollowupID: 864994

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 01:27

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 01:27
North up has always made sense to me.
Maybe I have a sense of direction and understand when I'm headed to the left side of the screen I'm heading west.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 864997

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 07:56

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 07:56
I prefer the north up because that is the way that I was taught to read maps about 60 years (bloody hell) ago. It's is not a simple button click to change an old habit.

I was really hanging out for a delete all tracks option. I also use tracks and track points. Used points for a group Cape York drive. Excellent what you can do but it took ages to set up, including proximity triggered audio comments for the following cars. Impressive but time consuming. Now I just trace the intended track in short sections and give them a copy of the files.

Don't know if I would ever the internet access to topo maps though. Not much internet access once you go remote. Just a comment mate. Don't rush this one on my account.

Thanks for the upgrade Greg.

Phil
FollowupID: 865001

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 10:28

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 10:28
Hello Phil

A "Delete all tracks" function was there in previous versions (Click on "Map" menu then "Clear All Tracks from Map"). With the new update its has just been added as a button on the "track control" floating box menu thing which is convenient but in reality only saves one mouse click (but I like it nonetheless as mouse clicks add up:)

Internet Map function is very handy in the office - I use it for Google Earth and Microsoft Virtual Earth satellite maps. Being able to display them directly in OziExplorer is fantastic. As far as when you are out bush away from internet goes, it is possible (apparently) to cache maps for later viewing i.e no internet actually needed once area of interest downloaded. I am not sure how this is achieved but assume instructions are to be found somewhere . I generally just make standalone sat maps of specific areas anyway so not something I have ever contemplated using when out bush.

Don't thank me for the "upgrade" - I have absolutely nothing to do with it. Thank Des Newman and his team. I was just letting you know it was available.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865008

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:19

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:19
That is a fundamental weakness of raster based systems Wicket and a major reason why I don't use it much. It also limits the resolution range of such systems.

North up can be very useful in some situations , like for getting an overview of where you are but track up is a lot better when you have to decide quickly to turn or not to and which way.

There still is nothing that can do what my obsolete 276c GPS can do , but its vector based maps are now getting old, because of this I also run a car navigator gps and these are mostly used with track up so I can then set the 276c GPS to north up and get the best of both worlds.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865012

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:31

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:31
Hi Greg

Please pass my thanks on to Des. You may also mention to him that when you edit a post you lose all the paragraph separations of two return in a row. (carriage return" Remember them.

I know but it didn't work when I tried it. Maybe you fixed it last update.

Re internet access. We don't take any internet kit with us when we go away. No Borg entities in this household mate. But others may use it. I have often even left the mobile at home. The sat phone for emergency only does us.

No worries. Working on the car for this years trips and will download and check Ozi later.

Take care

Phil
FollowupID: 865017

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:56

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:56
"That is a fundamental weakness of raster based systems"

Incorrect - I know of several "raster based systems" that have Track up option. e.g TwoNav & Global Mapper are two I use. Guessing there are others. So its not a fundamental weakness, its just that some programs don't have it as an option.

"There still is nothing that can do what my obsolete 276c GPS can do"

Incorrect - there are several other GPS units (in addition to PC and "tablet/ipad" based systems) equal to the task, and even better (better meaning better for an individuals personal needs, everyone is different). Some units/setups even have ability to show vector and raster images (e.g. TwoNav devices) which is a fundamental weakness of the 276c GPS as it is limed to vector mapping (among a few other fundamental weaknesses ..such as grossly overpriced propriety memory cards)...possibly why it is now "obsolete" :)

Living in the past is OK if you are happy but you really need to update your knowledge base if you are going to provide critiques on a subject matter that is continually advancing, otherwise it could result in embarrassment.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865018

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 13:04

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 13:04
Phil

The carriage return/edit thing is a forum issue and in Dave's (ExplorOz) domain, nothing to do with OziExplorer (Des) or little old me.

I have mentioned it to Dave but not sure if its being acted on.

Most smartphones (with data plan) can be used as an internet hotspots when out and about (but in phone range obviously). Don't really need any complicated "kit".

Even if you have no plans of using your normal phone when travelling would suggest travelers keep it in the glove box - could be useful in an emergency when in phone range, the extent of which is improving.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865019

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 14:52

Friday, Feb 12, 2016 at 14:52
Thanks Greg

No smart phone mate. Killed that one -- even if we did bother to charge it and take it. There are only two places with mobile coverage between home and the lower Flinders namely The Hume Highway and Broken Hill and there may be others but I don't know them. We get off the highways as much as we can. So why bother.

Always worth an excuse for a chat mate. Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 865023

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Feb 13, 2016 at 10:09

Saturday, Feb 13, 2016 at 10:09
Greg

The clear all tracks option from the pull down function on the Map menu works as you said. I was talking about the "Remove All Track Sections" option in the "extra menu" on the track control window. It just brings up another small window asking about where to copy the current track.

Mate it may have already been fixed. I will have a look after I download. Eihter way I will email/message you.

Phil
FollowupID: 865041

Sponsored Links