jayco camper mattres solution

hi
The foam mattreses that came with the jayco are 10 yr old and they have been used fair bit . They are ready for the bin .What is an economical solution
Jayco Flamingo
1x double
1x queen
options innerspring 500-1000 each
foam option 300-500
What about self inflating camp mattresses ,use with or without original foam
what are the better quality ones
Thicknesses ??

I take it many have been thru this at one point ,so whats everbodies thoughts ?

swamp
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 22:50

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 22:50
My suggestion after having a foam mattress deteriorate after only 3 months of constant use...go custom inner spring.

Check out these guysMade to measure.

A good mattress is a worthwhile investment. Makes it a damn site easier to get up in the morning ;-)

Cheers
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596303

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 09:07

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 09:07
Have to agree with Mick O. We chucked our foam mattress in the Jayco Penguin soon after we bought it, and had a custom-made double inner-spring mattress made by Makin' Mattresses in Fyshwick ACT. Was about $800 from memory, but sleeping in the van is as comfortable as at home. Well worth it.
FollowupID: 865213

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 20:41

Thursday, Feb 18, 2016 at 20:41
O be in Sydney,If you don't get any joy here, mate, I'd have a look on the caravanners forum and just put "mattress" into the search box at the top. I noticed it only yesterday when looking for something else and there appeared to be quite a bit of discussion on the subject
There is a lot of variation in grades of foam so that is what you'll need to be aware of and there is the issue of having to ventilate the underneath of a foam mattress. A slatted base should be fine but a solid ply base creates problems for the foam to breathe and damp/moisture can be an issue from perspiration. As long as the right foam is used, comfort shouldn't be a problem as there are some really good products as you will find in the discussions.

If you happen to be in Sydney ??? Give Greg a call at Luxafoam in Peakhurst. He is a supplier to the furniture and upholstery trade and has every type you can think of. He'll put you onto the right stuff.
AnswerID: 596370

Reply By: nickb - Saturday, Feb 20, 2016 at 11:43

Saturday, Feb 20, 2016 at 11:43
When I looked at various innerspring mattress suppliers for my Jayco Dove, I found Jayco themselves to be the cheapest, had them in stock and they were the exact fit (as you would expect). $400 from memory about 2 years ago. My wife and I both find it quite comfortable.

When you wind the top down you can only leave the sheets on as any blankets/quilts/clothes etc will make it difficult to close and it won't seal very well.
AnswerID: 596412

Follow Up By: swampy - Saturday, Feb 20, 2016 at 13:31

Saturday, Feb 20, 2016 at 13:31
hi
Which Jayco dealer?? .The quote from the local dealer was of with the fairys. Were you quoted on a double or a queen .
FYI the Jayco queen should be called a 3/4 queen
The double is fairly close to a std domestic double
Thanks
swamp
FollowupID: 865298

Follow Up By: nickb - Saturday, Feb 20, 2016 at 21:22

Saturday, Feb 20, 2016 at 21:22
Caravanland Perth. It was for the larger bed in a 2005 Jayco Dove which is a double IIRC.

I rang the above mentioned mattress makers but none could make it thin enough or guarantee the roof would shut. Mine is 100mm thick plus about 25mm of padding on top.
FollowupID: 865306

Sponsored Links