Engel Thermometers

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 22:04
ThreadID: 131618 Views:7179 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
We have a Simo trip in a few months and was considering purchasing a Thermometer for the Engel.
Can anyone advise on the accuracy or otherwise of the Engel Digital version.
I notice Engel have withdraw their Wireless version.

Cheers

dad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 22:59

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 22:59
Hi Dad

The only reason wht the wireless version was discontinued was because the general public can not read instructions.

I have one at home and they are a great easy unit to use, proving you read the instructions. You had in insert the batteries into the receiver first, otherwise they sender would not talk to the main unit.

Too many never read the instructions and then complained and wanted their money back, so they went back to the wired unit that they used to have, but now they are black. The only draw back is that the cable is only 5m long and by the time you try to feed it from the fridge to the front of the car, you soon run out of cable.

For my Engle in the car, I have a TwoZone wireless unit and to be honest, works better that the Engel.

They are hard to come by in shops, but I tracked mine down from the net.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596304

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 23:22

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 23:22
This was not the issue with the unit I had, it simply stopped working after a couple of days in the freezer, they also indicated from memory that the unit was prone to condensation if taken of the freezer from memory and mine did suffer from that.

I then purchased an acurite unit and have no problems with it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865210

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 23:29

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016 at 23:29
I have seen other wireless Thermometers in camping shops but I have had the same Engel for 24 years , it been all over Oz , I have never bothered with a thermometer .
FollowupID: 865211

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 00:16

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 00:16
Hi Dad

Boy that feels weird saying that after all these years!

Anyway! I agree with Stephen.

TwoZone is the way to go. I use one for the Engel in the Landcruiser and another for the National Luna in the trailer. Work a treat - accurate - well they match the digital readout on both the fridges so I assume they are accurate.

I even got them from the Engel World in WA.

Cheers

Anthony

FollowupID: 865212

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:22

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:22
My engel combi froze the batteries in the sender unit and that was that. Lasted about a week.

I've never found a fridge thermometer which is accurate yet. Portable fridges don't circulate air and the certainly don't cool evenly.

My current wireless thermometer will read approx 5-8 deg c most of the time. It is about 2/3 the way up the side of the evakool and the beer is always perfect. Work that one out.

It's not so much about the actual numbers, but more about establishing a baseline so you know when there's a fridge fault. Other than that they are another gadget to go wrong and worry about.
FollowupID: 865215

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:36

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:36
Stephen you are correct about the order to of switching the unit on - eg the order of inserting the batteries.
The problem is that the receiver often looses signal from the sender - not normally an issue as most other types just reconnect - not the Engel wireless. It does not automatically reconnect and you have to go through the sequence of removing batteries from the two units and reinsert the batteries in the correct sequence - as real PITA when you are no the road.
Why they cannot be connect and auto reconnect like 99% of the opposition is beyond me.
I can see why they were withdrawn from sale - I have one and they are crap.
Garry

PS they basically don't work in freezers because the low temps severely reduce battery capacity so much that any signal is weak and may not reach the receiver and contact between the two units is lost.
FollowupID: 865217

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 16:26

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 16:26
My Jaycar wireless unit insists you use Lithium AAA batteries in the sender so the sender will work in the cold environment.
FollowupID: 865219

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 18:54

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 18:54
I bought an Engel wired unit in Cairns, at last Boxing Day "Sales"(definitely wasn't on special!). SIL had had an Ironman wireless unit, and on quizzing him about it, he gave the details, pretty much as Garry has indicated, a real PITA.

My travelling beer is usually in an Ironman fridge, so I just set the temp at zero, and am a happy camper. The above temp gauge will see service in the Engel.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865221

Follow Up By: Grizzle - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:13

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:13
I use the Two Zone Unit as well. I think they are owned by EvaKool now. Also the only unit we could get to work with a fridge in the back of a ute. Even the Waeco CFX Wireless unit was patchy in the ute. The batteries on the TwoZone/Evakool last for ages. 12 months plus. Another benefit is that they have a small display on the sender unit. On my Engel I have the sensor right next to the engel sender and it reads within 1 degree. On the CFX50 Waeco I have the sender mounted inbetween the crisper and the fridge compatrments. Again reads within 1 degree.

Have used them for a number of years with no issue.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865541

Reply By: OBJ - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 08:50

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 08:50
Another option is the Acurite range. I have one with two sensors for fridge and freezer in the car and have been very happy with the results from these. I believe there is also a probe type which means you don't need to put the whole sensor into the fridge / freezer. I use Lithium batteries (as recommended) in the sensor units.

Acurite Link - Click here

OBJ
AnswerID: 596305

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 09:08

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 09:08
We have a 40 lt Engel as a fridge and a 21 lt Engel as a freezer. They are sometimes used to supplement the fridge for Christmas, birthdays etc at home.

So I just got two of these ar Red DC12V 24V digital electronic Clock with time temperature & voltage meter from ebay and mounted (screwed/glued) to the fridges so that I could see them from outside the car. Because they work off 12V I didn't bother wiring them in so you see the temp when running on 12V. I just picked up voltage internally from the 12V input with the probe running into the fridge compartment next to the existing one. Note that doing this to a new fridge would void the warranty.
They are also mounted inside the screening that covers the vents, so they still work with the Engel fridge cover in place. So no hassles with batteries, moisture or icing up. I think that you can also get green and blue ones if you are that way inclined.

I thought about the wireless units but figured that if the receiver is mounted in the cabin then it wouldn't be simple to move it to the house, and they use batteries. Those who know me do also know that I hate loose stuff in the front, so it would have to be screwed down. I prefer to just glance at the temp in the rear view mirror or when walking past the car. Gave up on the mirror, it's reversed and distracting when driving so moved them to the side where the window is.

Phil

AnswerID: 596306

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:31

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:31
To many things in front of the driver as it is. I opted for a very simple solution. If the beer is cold, all's good. Beer not cold investigate. The cost of this solution is also attractive.

These are good to keep an eye on things, not just the fridge. I have one in the truck and one in the camper.

http://www.amazon.com/UEB-Voltmeter-Thermometer-Charging-Smartphone/dp/B0191GAAEE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_60_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41z2JuHT%2BsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1K69ACJKHTQCSJ06Q9XK
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 596309

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 16:38

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 16:38
Hi Dad,

I have an Engel that doesn't have a digital display. Just a rotary dial.
I also have a wired type Engel Thermometer where the probe is inserted into the fridge, (clamps onto the basket anywhere you like) and the display unit is placed anywhere external. The lead is about three metres long but I have never unraveled it, using only about a one metre length to see the display set next to the fridge in the back of the vehicle.

Now, having said that, I rarely use it. I have used it to determine that setting 1 and a bit equals 2 degrees and that is where I leave it. I just check the position of the knob from time to time.
I only connect the thermometer infrequently to check the temperature, but then again I can usually tell by the coldness of the beer:-)

I don't use the fridge as a freezer so the overall temperature is not that critical.
With the Engel transit bag I have had on the fridge since new, the fridge maintains a constant temperature.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 596321

Reply By: dad1340 - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 18:43

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2016 at 18:43
Wow there's a plethora of views, experiences and antidotes!
Thanks one and all for your invaluable help.

I've gone for an Engel digital Thermometer, installed in no time with care taken to protect the cable and all with Engels blessings; included seal integrity.

One Battery in the monitor, thats it. The wireless versions are fine in principle (if you follow the instructions carefully) but I just can't get me head around expecting batteries to function for any length of time at minus zero conditions.

We are taking an Engel full of frozen food for some time before the Simo so the old KISS principle hopefully will come good.

Cheers

dad

AnswerID: 596330

Follow Up By: Grizzle - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:16

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:16
FYI Dad the Twozone/Evakool unit has the batteries in the unit that sits on the outside of the fridge so the batteries do not sit in the fridge. Added benefit is that the wireless sender is also outside the fridge and does not have to try and send through insulated fridge body.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865542

Sponsored Links