EvaKool fridges. Your thoughts please.

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 15:14
ThreadID: 131649 Views:3653 Replies:12 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Our much loved Auto Fridge has died. We would gladly buy another but the company no longer trades.
We are looking at THIS fridge.
Just interested in peoples thoughts and how the company has been to deal with when things go wrong.

Cheers

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:00

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:00
Lyndon,

How has it died?

If it's just a compressor or refrigeration unit failure, well, Autofridge uses a Danfoss BD35 compressor. Any Waeco or other small fridge service centre can repair or replace those Danfoss systems as they are used in many brands - including Chinese who often use a copy called a Domus.

If the problem is in the circuit board (ie, display and controls) then you may be out of luck. But then, it could be a simple component failure or bad joint that is detectable by someone good at electronics.

For example, my cheap Chinese 55litre fridge I bought from Grays Online had a Domus compressor which failed. I had the compressor swapped out for a used Danfoss by a Waeco service agent. The compressor came from a fridge whose circuit board had fried, but the compressor was ok. He also converted the on-off switch to a Hi-Lo. I don't need an on-off switch. If I want it off, I unplug it. But the Hi-Lo is useful.

Some years later the fridge began working intermittently. Turned out to be the 12V input lugs on the circuit board had been strained and the solder connection was cracked and intermittent. 10 seconds with a soldering iron to re-make the connection and all good.

That fridge has been going for 10 years now.

What I'm trying to say is, the repair could be simple. If you haven't already done so investigate thoroughly before consigning your very good Autofridge to the dump.

Cheers.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596437

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 09:31

Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 09:31
Hi Frank

A long time ago the thermostat and control knob died, so I use to just turn it on and of manually by cutting the power. The ventilation fan then stopped working, I should have changed this as it was just a computer fan. The unit still run OK though. Then it stopped cooling and a nasty electrical type smell came from it. Compressor still runs but doesn't cool. Probably my fault as we live in Darwin and at a guess it has over heated.
So I guess at a minimum, I'm up for those 4 components.
Problem living in Darwin =
Finding someone reliable to do anything is difficult. The charge for most things will be %50 higher than down south.
So at a very uneducated guess the repair would be we north of a grand.

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 865650

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:21

Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:21
Hi Lyndon,

Sadly, I think you're right. At those costs, it's probably time to cut loose the Autofridge.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 865660

Reply By: lance m1 - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:03

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:03
lyndon the next fridge i would be looking at would be trailblazer or engle then a bushman good luck lasue
AnswerID: 596438

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 09:37

Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 09:37
I agree about the Trailblazer. That's for my next car when I get a Ute and purpose built tray.
The thought of lifting the thing in and out of the back of a Troopy doesn't fill me with joy. Just to big and heavy. Engel's are OK, but struggle with the top end heat.

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 865651

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:53

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:53
I have an Evakool RF47 bought it in 2004 still works fine. I would recommend the fibreglass like the one you are looking at they use a bit less power than the poly ones and ours still smells like the day we bought it they don't absorb smells as advertised. I also have one of their fridge monitors which works well I use rechargeable batteries in it which work fine and last alot longer than standard batteries.
AnswerID: 596443

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:59

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 16:59
Another vote for an Eva Kool. Had mine since 2000, never missed a beat. It has been used as a freezer all it's life and will hold minus 15 degrees an temps up to 50 degrees. It's in the canopy back of the truck so temps would be higher than that inside at times.

Doesn't need a bag to help it out in hot temps. Definitely the white fibre glass model for me.
AnswerID: 596444

Reply By: Kenell - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 18:28

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 18:28
Lyndon,
I too am considering this unit, so interested in the responses to your question. The Evakool in my camper trailer stopped on Cape York last year. The trailer was built around it to some extent. I called into their factory on my way home and told them I didn't want to spend more than $250. I also explained I was on a limit with time. Two days later when they were supposed to call me with a report they said come and get it. It was a thermostat. It was fixed for less than $200 when they could easily have charged me my nominal maximum. I have read a number of reports on this forum and others attesting to their service ethics. I now want one for my new camper. Its between the one you are looking at and an ARB.
We'll both watch responses with interest. Good luck with your decision.
Ken
AnswerID: 596448

Reply By: gbc - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 20:37

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 20:37
How are they when things go wrong? Dunno, nothing ever goes wrong.
Mines an rf60 - has been running for 9 odd years non stop. prior to that it was a supakool original fridge. The cool thing is if the fridge ever died you've still got a $400 esky.
AnswerID: 596459

Reply By: PhilD - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 21:29

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 21:29
I have 2 Autofridges and 2 custom built EvaKool 60 litres. Why? They are both great fridges, work differently, but I needed 2 fridges to fit into the spaces I have available in my off-road motorhome, so EvaKool did the job for me. I have the Autofridges in the 100 series and Kimberley Kamper.
EvaKool have been excellent to deal with, even when one was damaged on the way to me. Replacement lid and rivets, etc turned up very quickly.
I had another Autofridge for about 20 years and had it repaired, topped up, etc by a refrigeration guy a couple of times. I suggest you get it checked out before you throw it my way!! as you may find it economical to fix. The parts are pretty universal in them.
AnswerID: 596464

Reply By: HarryH - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 21:58

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 21:58
Ive had a 70 litre Evakool fridgemate(poly) going non stop for 7 years and highly recommend. I also have a 48 litre ARB fridge for about 3 years and love it as well.
AnswerID: 596467

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 22:02

Sunday, Feb 21, 2016 at 22:02
Hi Lyndon,
Intelliquip bought the Autofridge company in October of 2014, have you tried contacting them about trying to purchase a new Autofridge at all? I don't know what they are selling myself, but currently own an Autofridge and love it, so would understand if you wanted to get another one.
Intelliquip
Intelliquip contact details
AnswerID: 596468

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 09:43

Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 09:43
Thanks Mate

I will try that. Their website says it will become available around the end of the year.

Cheers

Lyndon

FollowupID: 865653

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:06

Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:06
I have 2 EvaKool fridges, 70ltr poly over 10 years and lives in the Toyota 100, except for parties....
A 60 ltr RV grey metal for 3 years lives in the Discovery.

Both are excellent. New thermostat for the old 70 about 6 years ago, heaps of service agents.
Cheap to but, relatively efficient to run and cheap to fix should they break.

EverKool manufacture for many other Car Fridge suppiers.
No issues with all other manufactures, EvaKool works for me
AnswerID: 596489

Reply By: geoffqld - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 19:01

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 19:01
I have bought 2 in the last 18 months. 1 x 55l and 1 x 95l. Both unfortunately were faulty, 1 circuit board and 1 gas blockage. Both were repaired very quickly and without argument, they paid for the shipping. Put it down to bad luck but was impressed with their service. As freezers they both leave my 80l Waeco for dead and the 95l uses less power than the other 2 fridges. All in all pretty happy and would buy another if and when needed.
Geoff
AnswerID: 596705

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 20:56

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 20:56
Hi Lyndon.

I have an EvaKool fridge and it is great, my best mate has a camping hire business in Darwin and had 4 EvaKool fridges and when they worked they worked well.

Here is the thing, Mine broke down after 8 years of hard work, and it took nearly 1 year to get the only guy in Darwin to fix it.

Mal had an even harder time getting EvaKool to fix his when thing went wrong.

My EvaKool is still working as a beer fridge and Mal has changed all his hire fridges to Engels.

At the end of the day you can't go past Trailblaza fridges
AnswerID: 596713

Sponsored Links