North Kimberley Roads

Submitted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 06:40
ThreadID: 13165 Views:1573 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Well it's that time of the year again end of the wet and the road miss infomation is flowing fast and thick. Can't blame the travellers for being confused considering the local shires and main roads can't get it right.
First they open the Kalumburu road only as far us to us but the sign at one end said closed for a couple of weeks after they opened it, while the sign at the other end of the road said it was open all the way to Kalumburu when it wasn't.
Then one office ( no names mentioned) was saying it won't be open until June while the another was saying it is all open ( while still closed)
I give up, every year we have this same problem, every year I phone and jump up and down trying to get all the official depts to give out the SAME info as we spend so much phone time trying to correct wrong info out while every one else seems to be busy contridicting each other.

The Gibb River road is open all the way through.

The Kalumburu road is OPEN for a while both in to the Mitchell Plateau and through to Kalumburu, there are ( unless they changed it without telling anyone) some weight limits for heavy vehicles.
The Mitchell Falls is flowing really well.
Some has been graded, some has not yet been done.
There is good water in some of the rivers but nothing is still 800 mm deep and traffic is getting through no problem.
There have been some storms this last few days and was told today that one shower has made it wet just before Kalumburu but that vehicle got through ok and I would presume that unless it rains more it will dry up ok again.

No one has yet got around to setting up to take the $50 entry fee for the Mitchell Plateau track. There is local gossip that there were so many complaints it may not be started till next season with more notice given BUT that is only gossip not a known fact.
cheers, Anne

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 08:49

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 08:49
at least us Exploroz crew know where to get our info from - thanks Anne.

I have some friends travelling GRR in a couple of weeks and I shall send them your way.
AnswerID: 60200

Reply By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:39

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:39
Hi Anne

I was just reading about up your way in Ron Moon's book and it sounds fantastic up there. We are planning to come up next year and can't wait....

I posted a while ago about what the difference is like between early in the season (Eg Now!) and late in the season like August or September. Does the environment and fishing and 'stuff' change much throughout the dry?

Must drive you bonkers with all the road info being confusing. Just pays to talk to a local!

Cheers

Andrew
AnswerID: 60215

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 01:50

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 01:50
Hi Andrew,
Massive change, especially from Sept onwards. Also depends on size of the wet and when last rains fell ie: March or May.
General rule, April ( if road is open) May / June grass green, rivers all flowing, falls all falling.
June/ July still plenty of water normally clear days, cold nights.
This year is proving the one in seven exception with storms still hanging about, could bring the rare winter rain.
August onwards starting to dry up or after a small wet can be quite dry, rivers slowing or stopping, not much green remains.
Sept onwards getting dryer and warmer, falls may be stopped, idiots leaving camp fires not fully put out, throwing ciggi buts or matches start unstoppable fires and burn us out.
Oct onwards getting pretty dry and hot, some years very dry and very hot.
Visitor numbers start to slow down about mid August and fall of after that.
About mid Sept onwards as customer numbers reduce sevices available reduce ie: scenic flight plane departs from here, sometime in Oct the choppers offering scenic flights depart from the Mitchell Plateau.
Later Oct and through Nov wet season build up is starting, hot & dry, or showers and hot and humid.
I honestly can't recomend doing the trip in October unless you are used to the heat, don't have children and enjoy having not many fellow visitors about.
The fishing can be good at anytime on the coast but can depend on tides, wind etc quite a bit. The barra can be better just after and just before the wet but experienced guides like Greg Harman from Ultimate Adventures seem to be able to catch them all the time ( I can't) We get no Barra up here due to being 1,200 ft altitude but the good side is we also get no salties.
Bottom line, it could be two totally different places for all the differences between May and October.
cheers, Anne

FollowupID: 322125

Reply By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:43

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 17:43
Thanks Anne . You just saved me a phone call , was going to give you a call to get the info you just posted , now i don,t have to . See you next week , about Wensday or Thuresday . Cheers .
AnswerID: 60270

Reply By: rolande- Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 19:38

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 19:38
Anne,
Off subject but say Hi to Jake from the cheese guys. I believe he is working for you after I passed info from a previous post on. We are all interested in how he is going and how his new Landy is going. At least you won't get him to crutch sheep in the middle of winter, LOL
Rolande
AnswerID: 60285

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 01:57

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 01:57
Jake is still with us, muster starts very soon he may wish he was back crutching sheep then ! They work pretty hard.
The new Landy, well it had a train trip back across Aussie to be fixed while they sat and waited in Darwin for two weeks then due to a slight altercation with a gate post it isn't quite as pristine as it was !
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 322126

Reply By: Member - Paul H - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 21:22

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 21:22
Hi Anne, We will be up your way mid June. Thanks for the up to date road info.
Might drop in on our way up to Kalumburu.

Ta.

PMK

AnswerID: 60322

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 13:20

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 13:20
I'd strongly recommend that you do that as the showers etc are fantastic(they have a licensed bar & great tucker too)
FollowupID: 322004

Reply By: Member - The MALS (QLD) - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 10:34

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 10:34
Thanks Anne, All the info on your part of the world is most welcome. We'll be in to see you early September - can't wait!!!
MAL 1
AnswerID: 60400

Reply By: Troopie - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 11:49

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 11:49
G'day Anne
Many thanks for the informative post!

We will shortly be heading up your way also and will definately stop by.

We are leaving the eastern states in late June, heading across the Nullabor, then up the Canning, before heading across the GRR east to west. We intend to head up to Kalumburu so will stop by then (around mid/late July).

We will be in two troopies and a hilux.

Cheers
AnswerID: 60421

Reply By: rolande- Friday, May 28, 2004 at 12:34

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 12:34
Anne,
Thanks for the reply, will pass on to the others. Jake has a habit of getting stuck / running into things :) I hope you don't let him loose on your stuff.
Rolande
AnswerID: 60600

Sponsored Links