Davenport Ranges N.T. N.P.

Submitted: Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 00:41
ThreadID: 131656 Views:2136 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi been meaning to visit this N.P. Any info be grateful seems not a poular destination.I did read it can be closed due to conditions and very rough track .But like someones own experience ..thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 06:31

Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 06:31
Fantastic place to visit parts of the roads were very rocky as in large gravel, but a easy drive. Plenty of nice camp spots Police Station Water hole is probably the pick of them. Seen plenty of Donkeys, last year met a camper at Police Station water hole who said the donkeys kept him awake but it was getting fairly dry and warm to wards the end of Sept and they were probably coming in for a drink at night.

Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 596476

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 08:09

Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 08:09
Graham N's comments are echoed by me. Been there 3 times. I doubt there will be many others while you are there. A suggestion for you: travel Binns Track especially south of there, to Alice Springs.
AnswerID: 596480

Reply By: Member - johnny woofl - Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 08:12

Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 08:12
We visited Policemans Waterhole May 2013 by 4WD at that time could have done the trip in a 2WD ,and came in from the Devils Marbles end. Made up my mind the next time we would bring the van in and enjoy the waterhole and explore it more.
AnswerID: 596481

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 12:05

Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 12:05
enjoyed the park and overnighted at policemeans waterg hole on way to EO annual gathering last year. ie early July . there was probably 8 camps set up along the waterhole the midweek night we were there.
agree with last poster main track ( from devils marbles end) in is essentially 2wd . the rougher trip is the Frew Track which we took heading out to the south.Rockyand twisty with a few small step ups which would make it very hard with a van. Good offroad camper would be no probs though.
cheers
howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596490

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 12:59

Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 12:59
We went there about 5 years ago & thought that Policeman's Waterhole was really nice.
It was end of Sept.
We had a camp to ourselves & a few cattle & donkeys came in to water at night.They did come around our tent but just make sure you put everything out of harms way for your sake & theirs.
We did the scenic drive which was a little bit rough & winding but good scenery, no trouble for a 4x4.
The ruins a a bit hard to find.
The birdlife was lovely in the early morning.
We did the Binns track back to Alice and enjoyed it immensely.
There had been a lot of rain around the area but not in the Park. Bundy River? was flowing very fast & nearly to the top of the bank. We struck an extremely soft patch of sand just before the exit point on the bank but luckily we made it out no problems but we weren't towing anything.
Go & have a look & enjoy. P.S. Go to Old Police Station Waterhole in E.O." Places."
Take care. Safe travels. Ma
FollowupID: 865365

Reply By: Stephen F2 - Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 22:03

Monday, Feb 22, 2016 at 22:03
Thanks Pa and Ma sounds great whats Binns track like much to see and how long to do it thanks
AnswerID: 596518

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:47

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:47
Hi Stephen F2,
Sorry for the delay, we only did part of Binns track of course. We went back through Murry Downs heading for the Sandover Highway.
I've been looking for my notes to give you a better answer to your question and to check on the name of that River crossing which was more the size of a creek. There were some smaller, wider creek crossings on the Binns Track on the Eastern side of the Ranges.

As for time to do it, we take longer than most. Not a long trip.
I think your best bet is to look at Places on E.O. now, for road conditions because they do change & it was 5 years ago when we did it, with creeks starting to come down from all the rain they had had further up in the ranges & catchment areas.

The Highway parts of Binns track were very good then, the Binns track itself was good back then .
also, as far as tracks go. No trouble anywhere for a 4x4 and we weren't towing.I'll check on the map for that River name but it would normally be dry as would the other creek crossings.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 865479

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 19:09

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 19:09
Stephen F2,
Hubby has just come home from work and we've checked the maps for you.
From Policeman's Waterhole 2 days to get to The Alice which as said, included several creek crossings & washed out bits on Binn's Track. after the heavy rains as mentioned. We went into
Murry Downs for fuel & asked if the Binn's Track was O.K for use to the South & told O.K.

Great camp site North of Derry Downs GPS>22.00.369S & 135.15.102E

The River was the Bundey River, crossing Sth of Derry Downs on the Binn's Track.

Google Old Policeman's Waterhole Davenport Ranges N.T. N.P. Click on Lytwelepenty/Davenport
Range National Park. Then click Fact sheet PDF. & there it is.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
The other places for Davenport N.P. when you Google are also good to look at
AnswerID: 596612

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 20:22

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 20:22
G'day,

we travelled through there Sept 2014. We passed on other touring vehicle - Nissan from Taree towing a camper trailer - some station workers mustering and the Army.

We came in from the south whilst travelling through to the Gulf. We stopped at Epenarra Station and asked for permission to travel through to Barkly Roadhouse, which we politely received.

It's spectacular country through there and different to anything else we've seen. It was worth driving the Frew River Track. It was rough and slow but some of the views from the top of the range were amazing. The main road through the park sticks to the line of the Frew River. Driving the track to the top of the range really gives you an idea of the size and remoteness of the place.
The Frew River provides a number of waterholes to have a swim in as well.

Have fun,
Steve.
AnswerID: 596616

Sponsored Links