Carnarvon Ranges

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 23, 2016 at 19:54
ThreadID: 131672 Views:1628 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me if the Carnarvon Ranges are going to be open to visitors in July this year or how or who I can contact to find out.
There is very little info around (that I can find) about on how to find out these details.
Any help would be appreciated as we are planning to travel the Canning Stock Route in June and we would love to visit the Carnarvon Ranges as a part of this trip.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2016 at 20:52

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2016 at 20:52
Hi

Found this email address, might be able to answer your question.

Carnarvon Ranges permits and enquiries: enquiries@carnarvonranges.com.au

If you get an answer please let the rest of us know out of interest.

Regards
Rowdy
AnswerID: 596562

Follow Up By: Member - Nebo - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 13:06

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 13:06
Thanks Rowdy

Found that email address and sent off emails but there is no response
That's why I,m asking for any help from the Explore Oz world

Thanks again
Nebo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865480

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 09:54

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 09:54
Ben from Track Care may now. I am aware that Trackcare have several projects in the pipeline for the Canning so he may be up on the current situation. I'll roust him up and see if he can help.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596586

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:28

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:28
Got this from Birriliburu;

Carnarvon Range
The Carnarvon Range is located within the Birriliburu native title determination. The determination recognises exclusive use, occupation, possession and enjoyment to Birriliburu native title holders.

The Carnarvon Range was open to tourism for the month of July 2014 with Birriliburu traditional owners and Rangers being stationed at their base camp performing a range of management activities. This enabled visitors to engage directly with traditional owners and Rangers, providing insight into their important work and the impressive values of the area. After exploring every possible angle Mungarlu Ngurrarankatja Rirraunkaja (Aboriginal Corporation) (MNR) has been unable to secure financial support for the opening of the Carnarvon Ranges in 2015. Therefore, public access to the Carnarvon Range is closed.

Please refer to the website for trial permit updates, permit application, conditions and other information http://www.carnarvonranges.com.au/

I don't think there has been much change for 2016.

The other option is to contact Birriliburu who are business members on the EO site. They are a good mob and are looking at ways to provide training and work for their young people so they may have something in the pipe line for the Canarvons in 2016.

Cheers
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 865477

Follow Up By: Member - Nebo - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 13:20

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2016 at 13:20
Thanks Mick

I knew that the ranges were closed in 2014 and 2015 but was hoping for a different result for 2016.
At your suggestion I will contact Birriliburu as we would dearly love to visit and enjoy this part of our great country.

Thanks again for your help
Nebo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865482

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 21:24

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 21:24
Hi Nebo. They also have a phone number on the website , guy to talk to is called Hamish I think. we visited in july 2014 the last week the ranges were open.

cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 865923

Follow Up By: Member - Nebo - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 16:49

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 16:49
Thanks Graeme

Found out that the rangers are under the control of the central desert land council. Talked to the people in Perth about the opening in 2016 and they say that the ranges are still closed because they cannot get the required corporate funding to reopen them. It may happen in the future but not this year.

Thx again
Nebo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 865963

Sponsored Links