Brake pads cheap vs expensive

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 17:37
ThreadID: 131687 Views:3208 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Went to buy some front brake pads for Hilux.The owner of business offered me cheap ones and said they would last a year and said their braking power was far weaker than expensive ones .He told me the expensive ones would last 3 years and pull you up quick.I would have thought there would be some standard on brake pads and they would need to work well if you needed to stop in a hurry .So is there difference between them according to price.???We are talking like $160 more for expensive brand..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: swampy - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 18:25

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 18:25
HI
I have used Bendix pads for 30 plus years .
The key factor is they work ,quiet ,donot fall apart ,last a reasonable time ,donot wear your discs out
Typically the higher performance the pad the more aggressive on the discs the pads are .
In my "012" hilux there are 2 types of Bendix available
4x4 around 80-100$approx
Heavy Duty 100-130approx

I have just fitted the 4x4 set
If only installing a pad set use crc orange antisqueel on the back [prevents pad vibration=noise ]
Lube caliper slides with silicon brake lube or nickel antiseize

RDA brand average
Ferodo average ,these use to fall apart

I have not checked all the years and models so there may be variations in price

swamp
AnswerID: 596656

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 18:43

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 18:43
Thanks Swampy I have 010 Hilux I know nothing about it .Had 2 Landcruisers previous 60 and 80 series hardly did anything to them.But both petrol so went Diesel with Hilux but different beast to drive.I bought it already set up with Dobinsons lift kit ,winch, bullbar, side steps ,snorkel ,dual battery and extra fuel filter .No Canopy so added a Sammitr steel one, and scored very cheap Outback Draw system.Looking at adding long range tank but bit expensive. Was goin to buy camper to put on back but 35k too much .Haven't been offroad yet just put new Kelly Safaris on so hope they do the job.Is there any advice on driving offroad in Hilux.?? I was pretty good with Landcruisers as worked 7 years in the deserts with them before buying my first one .Cheers
FollowupID: 865564

Reply By: Hoyks - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 18:45

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 18:45
I have played on motorbikes and different pad compounds can certainly change how the brakes feel and work as well as changing the disc rotors. I had some that didn't work as well as I liked, swapped them for some a new stock disc and Ferodo pads and the feel and braking were like chalk and cheese, they also lasted a lot longer.

Stock is always a good option as manufactures do spend a bit on R&D to get something that works, but like anything, some compromises can be made on price and longevity though. My wife had a euro built car that ate discs and rotors, the alloy wheels were always black with dust, but it stopped well. When they wore out I swapped to Aussie made rotors and pads to suit and the dust went away and the brakes worked just as well.

There is probably some minimum standard for braking and they will make a pad to meet that standard, they will also make a pad and rotor to meet that standard, you will also be able to get something that is an upgrade. I remember seeing some images of a Chinese made machined rotor that had broken away from the hub under heavy braking; I'm guessing that this one was at the budget end of the market. Some stuff that comes from China still is packed full of asbestos too, so I'd steer clear of them.

Personally, I would go with Australian made rotors and Bendix pads, I have used a few types, but Bendix always work well and I was more than happy with them. I'm not hard on the brakes though, my last vehicle had 175000km and still had the factory pads and drum linings.

As for $160 more?? Just for pads or rotors as well?? Bendix Premium is around $80 for a pair (4 pads) and Bendix 4WD are about the same.

AnswerID: 596657

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 18:54

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 18:54
Thanks Hoyks I better ask again as he was busy with a baby believe it or not in big autoparts retail store and customers waiting.I suppose if he the franchise owner can do what he likes I will try a few other places now I I have more info. Do I need to replace rotors too?? Or only if rough thanks
FollowupID: 865565

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 20:09

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 20:09
The rotors will have a specified minimum thickness.

What I'd do if fitting new pads is to get the rotors skimmed so the new pads have a flat face to mate with. If you don't get the rotors done the pads will not work as well as they could until they wear into fit the face of the rotor.

There are blokes that do on-site disc machining which can be a convenient option. I called a guy to do it on the front end of my sierra years ago, the guy that came measured rotor thickness and said I'd be wasting my time as there would be next to nothing left in the tolerance when he had finished.
Like any sacrificial part, once it is worn beyond the limits, it needs replacement, but until then, keep using it.
FollowupID: 865566

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 19:17

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 19:17
Interesting thing with brake pads. The last two vehicles I've driven, a Nissan Patrol 3.00 Wagon did 190,000 on the original pads over 6 years, a large part towing a van, the Mitsubishi Triton after that did 180,000 on original pads and sold it after 7 years, again mostly used as a tow vehicle. I'll be interested in how the BT50 goes!
AnswerID: 596659

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 08:46

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 08:46
Wow I have done inly 90k kms must be bad driver or previous owner. He was builder out bush
FollowupID: 865585

Reply By: CSeaJay - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 10:34

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 10:34
By reports the Toyota OE brake pads are good, lasts a long time and is not overly expensive.
AnswerID: 596686

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:32

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:32
Agree totally.

223 000 + kms on my 100 LC and still on original set. That includes approx 80 000+ kms towing.

I use the go pedal as a stopping pedal as well. Take your foot off the gas and let the weight start to slow you down. Obviously it is saving the brakes.

How many sets do those blokes who always take of quickly at the lights and brake heavy at the next go through?

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 865594

Follow Up By: tony_j - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 16:40

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 16:40
51,000km from genuine Toyota pads on a new 79 series. Now trying a different brand. Rears wore out first, front had another 100k's left. Mind you, the 79 does weight 3.8T!
FollowupID: 865608

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 19:00

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 19:00
Interesting Tony_j my mechanic just told me today back should last 3 times longer than front..Going to get front done next week and he will check rear so see if he right ...
FollowupID: 865616

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 19:15

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 19:15
When we were living on a station south of Winton, we were using both OE & Bendix pads, on Landcruisers. Thought the prices for each was similar, though the Bendix could be sourced cheaper from some outlets.

Wear rates were nothing like you blokes get.........from 25K to 35K. :-( The rear definitely do wear faster than the fronts, especially if travelling over muddy roads.

Have got a Falcon sedan with 205K on it........still has original pads, but we don't drive in cities much.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 865618

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 18:28

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 18:28
I bought some el-cheapo no-name Chinese brake pads off eBay for the Missus' Camry because I planned to sell it fairly soon.
What an absolute joke, and a total waste of money!
They squawked, they vibrated, they spat black dust all over the rims - and they chewed into the rotors like nothing I've ever seen!

I threw them out, fitted new rotors and new Bendix pads and the difference is unbelievable.
The Chinese pads cost $35 and the Bendix pads cost $65.
The rotors would probably have lasted a fair bit longer, but the Chinese pads soon saw that last bit of life gone!

Since the removal of asbestos from brake pads, there is now a huge variation in quality and braking ability, as every manufacturer scrambles to find a suitable replacement material.
In the case of the Chinese pads, I'm convinced they used workshop floor sweepings for the pad material!

You can't go wrong with a well known and established brand name that guarantees their product.
In the case of Bendix, shop around for pricing, you will find huge variations in pricing according to the sellers greed.

As regards rotors, no-one skims rotor discs any more, new rotors are so cheap, that the rotor disc skimmers can't compete.
There are hundreds of on-car disc skimming machines for sale for very little money.

If your rotors are nearing the minimum thickness limit, chuck them out. Old rotors buckle easily when they get thin, and they are a PIA when buckled.
My Hilux has buckled (original) discs now, and it nearly shakes the Hilux apart when braking hard from high speed. I've got new rotors ready to fit, just as soon as I get a day to spare.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 596703

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 00:40

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 00:40
3Yrs out of good pads tell the dealer to lift his foot off the brake pedal when his driving they'll last longer and he'll get rid of that annoying burning smell.
AnswerID: 596846

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 22:23

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 22:23
I fitted RDA Extreme pads to all 4 discs on my GQ last yr and they made a big difference over standard pads.
AnswerID: 596879

Sponsored Links