Is Anyone a Worse Fisherman than Me?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 19:45
ThreadID: 131689 Views:2589 Replies:12 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Although I don’t go fishing all that often, only when I am travelling, I have worked out that for each edible fish I have caught in the past two years, I have spent about $400.00.

In Darwin I went Helifishing; I had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the day, but I and the two others on the helicopter did not catch a fish.

In Seisia at the tip of the Gulf, I chartered a boat for half a day and all I manages to bring to the boat, but not land, was a shark about two metres long.

I have landed plenty of those little “bait thief bream” and other undersized fish as well as a few sting rays.

Is there anyone out there who is a worse fisherman than me, or can I apply for recognition to the Guinness Book of Records?
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 20:12

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 20:12
Oh Rob!

How I feel your pain!

I do not go fishing, I go feeding! I am sure that the little barstards swim beneath me giving me the one fingered salute as I personnaly deliver their lunch to them.

My father was an extraordinary fisherman, so too are my brothers. In fact, I am sure it was my lack of piscatorial DNA that led to being expunged from my fathers will.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 596663

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:19

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:19
Anthony,

I am coming to the conclusion that the fish are a lot smarter than I am. I feed them and get nothing in return.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865571

Reply By: Hoyks - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 20:22

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 20:22
Probably me.

Lived in Townsville for 7 years, fished a lot and never caught anything worth keeping. I did catch a good sized salmon, but can take no credit; the rod was dumped in the bottom of the boat and the lure floating on the surface while we tried to un-snag my mates lure from a tree.

Went fishing in the NT and caught a undersized barra. I can take no credit for that either. I hooked a tree, pulled on the line until the lure flew free and hit the water. I somehow hooked the barra through the bum as it tried to get away.

And, yes, I now fish with lures, rather than bait. I figure there is no point coming home stinking like fish when I never actually catch any.
AnswerID: 596664

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:27

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:27
The thing that annoys me the most is that if my wife fishes with me, then she catches the fish.
We went out on one of those old converted fishing trawlers, and the guy in charge hands everyone a rod; my wife says "how can you tell if you have got a fish on" and then within a matter of seconds hooks a beautiful snapper. About 5 minutes later hooks another one. None of the 20 other people at this stage have caught anything.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865572

Follow Up By: Batt's - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 11:37

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 11:37
My pop was like that you could stand next to him and he'd be pulling them in and you would catch nothing my mother said he'd do the same thing when they were kids living at Byron bay in the 40's and 50's.

So look at it this way you'll never go hungry if you take your wife fishing. Lets face it you're probably best to just take a knife and a cutting board and clean the fish as she pulls them in lol. A bad day of fishing is still better than your best day at work.
FollowupID: 865870

Reply By: Bob R4 - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:09

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:09
Rob,
If it was so easy it would be called CATCHING.
That's why it's called fishing.

Who want's to clean fish anyhow?
AnswerID: 596666

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:31

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:31
So Bob, you think it is a blessing that I can't catch fish?
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865573

Follow Up By: Bob R4 - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:39

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:39
No mate, just understand what it's about.
10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish, the rest of us can please ourselves :-)
FollowupID: 865574

Reply By: Member - Scrubby (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:36

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:36
G`day Rob,

I can`t let this go without having a friendly dig.

My Old Man could catch a fish in a cup of tea, well that`s what his fishing buddy's used to say.
He was always being asked how he was able to catch more fish than others, he would have a friendly smile on his face and reply, "a lot of people go fishing but not too many are fishermen" LOL

Scrubby.
AnswerID: 596667

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:39

Thursday, Feb 25, 2016 at 21:39
Scrubby,

I used to think I was a fisherman, but clearly the fish did not agree; I guess the majority rules.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865575

Reply By: Member - Woodsy - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 08:50

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 08:50
Myself & two friends went to Gippsland Lakes for a long weekends fishing.
Caught 3 small bream, one that slid down the plughole of the fish cleaning station. Ended up with about 300gm of fillets.

Due to an oiling problem we blew up the outboard of the boat that one of my friends had borrowed from a mate.

End cost of the trip with accommodation, food, drink & motor repairs , just on $5,000.00.

So those fillets cost us about $16,500 per kilo. Would have been cheaper to go to the fish co-op but we did have a great weekend though.
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596678

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 09:32

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 09:32
Woodsy, you have even more expensive tastes in fish than I do.

I wish you had not mentioned filleting. Up at Cape Leveque my wife caught a 2.5 Kg Spangled Emperor which I expertly filleted and finished up with about 500g of fillets. She was not happy.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865588

Reply By: Stephen F2 - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 09:27

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 09:27
This will make you feel better.I lived near Lake Gregory WA .I was asked to take Elder out to the lake.All he had was handline and bucket.We removed ourselves from his fishing spot and had trouble making him out as he blended into the environment.The Elder starts singing to the Black Swans on the lake.They all paddle towards him and within 15 minutes he had a 20litre bucket full of fish.No bait on the hook.Most amazing experience.Goes to show how Aboriginals are so in touch with nature.And all the gadgets we possess still will not accomplish what we need .
AnswerID: 596680

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 10:31

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 10:31
My wife thought it amusing to secrete a can of tuna into my fishing bag. The message of her complete lack of faith in my ability to catch us a feed was a tad hurtful, but well founded unfortunately.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596685

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 10:52

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 10:52
Wife & Son & I went on a whole day fishing charter in Broome WA ,cost was over $700 , 7 other fishermen / women on the day on board , all using same equipment ,same bait , 7 catch fish after fish , we , wife -son and I absolute zero , … another time Son & I on the wharf at Seisa , 3hrs in not so much as a nibble , lunch time 4 'locals' come onto wharf , 1 cast with handline 1 large queenfish , total time 2 minutes to get their lunch…..
AnswerID: 596688

Follow Up By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 12:32

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 12:32
Been there, done that!
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865597

Reply By: Member - Iain H1 - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:33

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:33
What gets up my nose and drives me nuts , how is it that a animal with a brain smaller than a grain of rice beats me every time.
farmer
AnswerID: 596691

Reply By: tony_j - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 16:33

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 16:33
My wife gets out the sausages from the freezer when ever I say 'I'm going fishing"!
AnswerID: 596699

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 17:23

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 17:23
What's all this rubbish about bait, lures, hooks and so forth. My son who works up in the Pilbara and is currently at one of the ports up there owns a very nice 7 mtr boat. Now I do like going out with him and a couple of the grandies. I do drop a line in occasionally but for some reason my bait doesn't get hooked on all that well. This means that after a while I can spend a very pleasurable day doing Esky duty, lounging about in the sun and nodding off to the rocking of the boat. Fortunately I don't get seasick. The only time I get disturbed is by the excited whooping and hollering when one of my heros lands dinner.

He who catches.......cleans.....lol

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 596702

Reply By: Tony H15 - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 19:42

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 19:42
I once swam across the mouth of the Blackwood River to join half a dozen family members fishing for whiting. Everyone caught heaps, except me, I caught zip. Prior to that I had dangled a line many times with much the same result. Total fish caught by me in my lifetime: 2 blowies and one Yellowtail. Even the blowies won't have a bar of my bait!
AnswerID: 596706

Sponsored Links