Travel Advice

Submitted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 09:04
ThreadID: 13169 Views:1891 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all! We are planning a trip up Central Australia, across the Gibb River Road and down the coast of WA in a GU Patrol. We have found this site extremely useful & entertaining!!! In particular we have got heaps of ideas from people’s ‘homemade’ versions of car fitouts/accessories since we’ve been making lots of things ourselves. So thanks to all who take the time to post info on this forum and to the ExplorOz team for such a great website!!

Just 2 questions we would appreciate some opinions on:
1) We only have time to do one diversion off the GRR – tossing up between Mitchell falls or Mornington Camp, which should we choose? We’ll be there early-mid August this year and were concerned about whether the falls would still be flowing well enough to make the trip out there worthwhile, or whether it would be a better option to head for Mornington Camp instead? What do you think?
2) Is it safe to camp in roadside rest areas around NT & WA for overnight stops only? (sleeping in the car as we have taken the back seats out and have built a draw system with a cargo barrier that folds down to form a bed base). In particular, along the Stuart Hwy and on the drive from Karijini NP (WA) to Exmouth.

Thanks in advance!
Draff & Pand
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phlip - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 09:22

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 09:22
We bush camped on many occasions in the Pilbara region in WA, and it was never any problem. On the odd occasion we did encounter another vehicle, they would stop and wish us well, or on one occasion join us for the evening.
AnswerID: 60205

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 09:27

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 09:27
For my crappy 2cents worth, I'd go to Mitchell Falls any day.
We regularly stop in some of those areas. If your concerned, look for one with other people staying in them. The grey nomads seem to start looking from about 2.00pm onwards. Usually we look for something a little more off the road out of sight a bit. If anyone ever came around, I'd send the missus out with her night make up on. That would scare them off.
AnswerID: 60206

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 11:12

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 11:12
I would have thought that you in your night shirt and long underpants would scare them off even more. Wait until your missus hears about this ..hahahaha
FollowupID: 321789

Follow Up By: Davoe - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 13:07

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 13:07
mitchell falls
FollowupID: 322320

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:38

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:38
Draff & Pand,

We now live in WA but also spent a year in Darwin. As a result, we've seen much of the Top End and WA including Karijini and up and down the WA coast countless times. We've never encountered a problem bush camping in either state. Actually, we always seek out bush camps in preference to caravan parks wherever possible. My advice is get yourself one of those free camping guides for both states. Also talk to other travellers - most will be happy to share any tips on recommended stopping places.

You will find some great roadside rest areas along the NW coastal hwy between Karratha and Exmouth. You can get off the hwy at most of the big river crossings where there is excellent shady picnic and camping spots spread out along the river banks (although the rivers are most likely to be dry or close to it). At the time of year you are going you will most likely end up sharing these stopovers with other travellers as they are well patronised. You're free camping guide will also most likely tell you about some other top spots a little further off the hwy (say less than 10km's) that might also interest you.

Enjoy your trip.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 60214

Follow Up By: Draff & Pand - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:52

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:52
Thanks guys - some really helpful responses here! much appreciated! will do as you suggest Michelle and get one of the camping guides. Oh and I just got told by the other half that I mistyped our car! Its a GQ not GU - I'd upgraded us accidently!!! opps!
FollowupID: 321785

Follow Up By: Chris O (VIC) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:53

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:53
Hi Melissa,

Where do you get the Free Camping Guides you mentioned ?
FollowupID: 321787

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 13:13

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 13:13
Hi Melissa
Shame on you
Go to shop, search "camping guides" and there are plenty that Exploroz have for sale,
Free Camping Guides refer to the free or cheap campsites, the guide books either for each State or in WA area or covering the whole country repay their price in one to two nights.
Ray
FollowupID: 321799

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 13:43

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 13:43
Hi Chris,

I was goning to give you the same advice as Ray did above only try doing a keyword search for "free camping". We have both the WA Priceless Camping...books and find them very good.

There are also a number of other similar publications around which I've seen on sale at some bookstores and roadhouses in the relevant areas.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 321806

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 11:24

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 11:24
Hi draff & pand
I have a great book for roadside stops called "Camps Australia Wide" which shows you where they are and lists things like : Toilets, Water, Showers, shade, Tables, BBQ, If dollars apply, Suitable for large rigs, Power, Max stay time, Phone, Pets etc.
Cost about $40 and I think there is a new addition out since mine, which is a couple of years old. Web site is :
www.campsaustraliawide.com or phone 07-5447 9336
AnswerID: 60219

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 13:33

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 13:33
1. Mitchell Falls any day over Mornington.
2. No-one can guarantee that road-side camping will be safe but I reckon there's more chance of something happening to you whilst on the road that when camped.
Have fun.
AnswerID: 60228

Sponsored Links