Petrol stations

Submitted: Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 19:26
ThreadID: 131699 Views:2936 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Were at a funeral in Mooroopna on Tuesday and the wife went to gas up at the BP in the main street, connected the nozzle up and already there was 45 cents on the meter when queried this was told because it was hot and the gas has expanded and there was 45cents left in the hose. Now I;ve had diesels since 1985 and don't use gas but it doesn't sound right to me what are others thoughts.

Cheers warren
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Markthemilko (WA) - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 20:44

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 20:44
Sounds like a rip-off. Used to have a service station. There is always fuel in the hose! Contact your local consumer affairs.
Happy 4WDriving
Mark

VKS 737 mobile 0401

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596712

Reply By: Steve D1 - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 21:11

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 21:11
45c. First world problems.
Maybe it's just me, on a Friday night, but there are bigger issues in the world.

That's my thoughts. Must be one of those days. Funnies was very quiet too.

Steve
AnswerID: 596715

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 21:39

Friday, Feb 26, 2016 at 21:39
Not right, not legal - if you have evidence, report them to the Weights and Measures mob or whatever they are called in your state.

The fuel in the hose has already passed the metering device and was paid for by the bloke before you. When you finish, he will have a full hose again (if it ever disappeared). Tell him you want $2.30 for the fuel you didn't get out of the hose.

I remember riding a motorbike and going to all the fuel stations in the area and draining the fuel out of the hoses. That was before they started to padlock the hose and just turned the power off to the pump. You would get a good couple of litres out of each hose. It was the most economical vehicle I ever road hardly ever had to pay to put petrol in it. (Yes I know it was naughty but I was only young)

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 596720

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 09:13

Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 09:13
Happened to me in Nanango with LPG, I made a note of the amount and the litre amount and told the attendant. He said yes that pump often plays up and then proceeded to rebate me an amount greater than the amount I told him. He said he was waiting for the pump repair man to arrive. ???
Also happened in Charters Towers, in that case I left the nozzle attached to the car and went in to report the problem ($1.00) and was told I must have used iot. I said I hadn't, went outside and disconnected the pump and advised another motorist who had just pulled in about the rip off. The attendant came rushing out and said if I drove off he would call the Police. I said fine I will wait. Locked my car in front of the bowser and walked over to the shade to wait for the Police. The owner apologised and asked me to move on. They know about the rip off and they just assume us grey haired oldies and others will cop it sweet.
AnswerID: 596730

Follow Up By: Geoffr17 - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 08:37

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 08:37
Under the circumstances maybe you should have called his bluff and rang the police .

If the rort was deliberate , then fraud is fraud , $1.00 or a Million.
FollowupID: 865704

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 14:50

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 14:50
I have noticed that this tends to happen on LPG when the compressor is turned on in the morning or hasn't been used for a while and the next or first user cops it.
I hold the nozzle (Petrol, Diesel or LPG) before connecting to the car to make sure it zero's, if the cost creeps up I take a photo and walk in at tell the attendant...
There is National and State Weights and measures legislation, threaten to get them involved, it can shut down the station until all pumps are checked.
National Weights and Measures web page
AnswerID: 596830

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 00:32

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 00:32
Are you allowed to use a phone at servo's these days ?

And pulling the nozzle before you insert it obviously never been to a servo where the pump has started up when you remove the handle from the bowser.
FollowupID: 865814

Follow Up By: Member - TonyV - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 01:24

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 01:24
Batts

???

I never said I pulled anything.

Yes the pump starts and before I insert the nozzle I check that it is still at zero..
Most people see it zero turn around and insert the nozzle and pull the trigger and not notice if there is any cost creep. Got it?

I use the camera part of the phone, not make calls (I am not driving) you know the bit you can now use on airplanes.

I don't think it legal to rip off customers, while 2 wrongs don't, are a right, a photo is proof.
FollowupID: 865816

Follow Up By: Warren B - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 15:55

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 15:55
Sorry guys didn't mean to start a bun fight but I never use gas but it didn't seem right to me ( I were the passenger wife fuelled up ) If illegal. we then guessed that number of cars per day times days in week equalled tidy little sum at end of week. as steve said there are more important things in the world to worry about. Still my family now bypasses that servo and girls have mentioned it on facebook. Cheers
FollowupID: 865822

Sponsored Links