mapping software

Submitted: Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1317 Views:1561 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Do you need to use mapping software like 'Oziexplorer' to load maps off CD to a GPS or can you just copy them to it ? I have a Garmin E-Map, which has blank memory cards available for it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00
Richard

I also have an eMap. First thing you need is a data cable. You can then use ozi or similar to download waypoints/tracks from your GPS. You can upload waypoints from ozi to your GPS but not maps. The only way to upload maps is using Garmins mapsource software and you can only upload their maps. There aren't currently any Mapsource maps for Australia other than the one you get with the GPS.

See gpsoz.com.au for more info and the data cable.

Andrew
AnswerID: 4236

Reply By: Member - Sam - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00
Richard, Andrew is spot on. I too have an E-Map. I have the MapSource Software. Although it is limited in detail and accuracy, it is still pretty good as a starting point(I use it and OziExplorer with the AusLig 250 maps). Garmin I hear, are very close to releasing street level maps for Australia. The maps will be in a street directory style. They will be available for the major cities only. I am only going off what I have heard, so don't take this for gospel. cheers, Sam.
AnswerID: 4242

Sponsored Links