Broome area (North) & Fitzroy Xing (east of)

Submitted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 10:38
ThreadID: 13170 Views:4591 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Leaving Vic around the 17th June, aiming to get to Broome somewhere around the 7th to 9th July......I have heard that there is some bush camping at Quandong Pt (about 50 km's Nth of Broome???)...I just have some questions about this area if anyone knows of it?...basically looking for a spot to camp out of, but handy to Broome, that has a good chance of room for us when we get there?.

(1). Is the road to Quandong point ok for an 80 series towing a fairly heavy camper trailer (Trakshak)?...if so need to lower tyre pressure?.

(2). If so, how long would it take to safely get there from Broome?.

(3). Is there actually camping grounds or bush camping allowed there?...how would you rate it?.

(4). If there is....could we expect to find it difficult to get a spot (being busy) around the time we would be there?.

(5). Looking for a safe overnight camp on the Great Northern Hwy, approx half way between Margret River and Fitzroy Crossing...any ideas???.

Thanks...and Cheers,
Mick.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 12:01

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 12:01
Pyalong
Quandong is about 32kms. from Broome and yes there is bush camping there and was there last year in Aug.Although the first 15km or so are on bitumen the rest is a fairly heavily corrigated track but you should be fine with your camper--just take it easy on that section.There are no facilities at the camp site and yes it does get quite busy at that time of year but it is a fairly big area and people are coming and going all the time so it is luck of the draw.there is good fishing there and you can aunch a dingy.It will take you about 3/4 hr back into Broome and is not really convenient to be doing this on a daily basis.It is a lovely spot on the coast with great views.
Your camp spot East of Fitzroy should be the Cliff Lookout located 96kms.east of Fitzroy---great sunset viewing
Have a safe trip
AnswerID: 60221

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 14:07

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 14:07
Hi Mick,

Yes the camping north of Broome is delightful. Quondong Pt is just one of a few possible camping area's. Others include Barred Creek, James Price Pt and Coulomb Pt. This region is really beautiful and well worth the effort to go there.

In dry conditions you won't have any trouble towing your trailer in - just drive to the conditions.

I have some pics and info on this area on
our website. Have a look at our Darwin to Perth travel journal and also Travels by State, WA, Kimberley region.

Also, have a look on the ExplorOz site under Trip Planning, Trek Notes as I recall seeing something there on this region.

Enjoy your trip.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 60235

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 16:49

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 16:49
Barred Creek will be closer to Broome and is equally as nice. Bush Camping only and about 1 hour from Broome.
Sandflies WILL be an issue at either of these spots.
Will be busy but you should be fine.
My map doesn't show Margaret River near Fitzroy but I vaguely recall something and assume you don't mean the Margaret River of the more famed variety.
AnswerID: 60254

Reply By: Pyalong - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:09

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:09
Thanks very much for the info guy's/girl's....your info given me more confidence to drive to the area, with out having to book in somewhere in advance!!!. For your info Coops..there's a 'Margaret River' approx 97kms west of Halls creek, and approx 193kms east of fitzroy xing, not far off the highway...must be a small place though!. Mellissa..interesting website..ill check exploreroz as well. sunseeker...did you need to let air out on tyres when you where there? Thanks for the tip on cliff lookout..is it sign posted?.

Cheers,
Mick.
AnswerID: 60296

Follow Up By: Member - sparra - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 07:30

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 07:30
margaret river west of halls creek is a overnight camping/rest area with toilets.can be very crowded at times.have a great trip,take your time and enjoy. cheers sparra.
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 321945

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 22:32

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 22:32
You ca drop your tyre pressure down a bit on the corragationsw--Isuggest not more than 5lbs. front and back as I am not a believer in too low tyre pressures with a big load on.The cliff lookout will be signposted as a rest stop and you can't miss it with the location Igave you.--good luck
AnswerID: 60334

Sponsored Links