Turn by turn GPS navigation for iPad mini

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 09:00
ThreadID: 131702 Views:2906 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have an iPad mini with WiFi and GPS and was wondering what is the best turn by turn car navigation software to download to my iPad - for use around town. I have been looking at TomTom but can't locate any reviews to help with a decision. Would be grateful for your comments. Regards. Lynton
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member BarryG - Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 10:20

Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 10:20
Hi Lynton,

I use MetroView on my iPhone - brilliant!
It is on the AppStore and it also runs on iPad.
I can't remember how much it was, but I think less than $15?
Comes with free offline map updates.
Can be used completely offline after the download.
(Not connected o the company).

Barry
AnswerID: 596731

Follow Up By: gbc - Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 17:53

Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 17:53
I've had metro view for years too and it has been great.

I have to say the latest iOS version of the standard Apple 'maps' which used to be pretty average is now world class. I haven't used metro view since.
FollowupID: 865687

Reply By: Hoyks - Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 11:38

Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 11:38
I use TomTom on my iPhone and now TomTom Go Mobile on my andriod phone and wouldn't be without it.
It is a subscriber service, so costs about $25/year. But for that it is constantly updating roads and gives you live traffic updates, so if there is a major incident you can avoid it. My wife has a factory nav system in her car and a map update for that is $300+.

It lets you download the maps you want, which was handy when I went to the US last month. I simply loaded the US South West map set and it was good to go when I picked up my hire car in Hawaii, LA and Las Vegas.

If you don't have the exact address of your destination, the often they are covered in the Points of Interest and you can find them that way, a quick play then has Masters, Bunnings and TJM all listed, as well as some obscure ones like the local bakery.

Map coverage is really good, I used to mount the iPhone on the handle bars of my trail bike and I have yet to find a 4x4 track that vaguely resembled a road that wasn't on the maps. The time to destination calculation is quite close to what time you can expect to be getting there, unless there is a dirt road involved and then it is way off..... or maybe I drive too fast on the dirt.

Probably one of the better features is that there is a pleasant Australian voice (Karen, same voice as Siri) to tell you where you are going, rather than an angry Brittish voice or an irritating heavily accented American one.

It is a bit power hungry, so you will need a 12V adapter to keep the ipad charged, on this score not all charges are created equal, I had one that was fine for my phone, but struggled to keep up with an ipad. Amp output and cord length are critical here, if the cord is too long then you run out of power.

To put my iPhone/Android in a good spot to be easily viewed, I stuck some velcro on the dash and on the back of the case. It makes a handy, cheap mount that doesn't damage the dash in any way and ensures a good GPS signal, I don't know how you would go with a tablet though.
AnswerID: 596733

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 19:24

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 19:24
Agree with Hoyks, the iPads are very power hungry. Used to find a full days driving would see the iPad chucking in the towel by mid afternoon, even when being charged constantly.

Bought a couple of these, and have had no dramas since.

No affiliation etc

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 865728

Reply By: Craig H4 - Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 23:04

Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 23:04
I use the TomTom app on my iPad and iphone and it works every bit as good as my stand alone Tom-tom one unit. Great value at something like $50? a few years ago, it probably updates about every quarter or so and the updates are free. It doesn't have live traffic but thats fine with me.
People also rave about the "HERE" app which is free on the App store, I have downloaded it but haven't used it as yet, apparently its great for overseas travel as well. It is turn by turn voice navigation the same as Tom-tom and works off satellite same as Tom-tom(i.e. offline) only its free so well worth trying it out.
AnswerID: 596749

Follow Up By: Craig H4 - Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 23:32

Saturday, Feb 27, 2016 at 23:32
I just checked the store and the tom-tom app is $85 not $50 but still good value for the years of use I've had out of it.
If you could be bothered to find a couple of iTunes discounted cards it would save you a few dollars, sometimes Kmart and the supermarkets have specials like two $50 iTunes cards for $80. Worth thinking about.
FollowupID: 865701

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 21:32

Sunday, Feb 28, 2016 at 21:32
I use CoPilot Premium Aus/NZ on my Android devices. It is also available for iOS.

I think I paid $25 and get free updates for ever. It is excellent and for a turn-by-turn navigator has extensive coverage of forest tracks and very minor roads. In the Android version you get a free 1 year subscription to Live Traffic, which is very useful in the cities for avoiding congestion. Not sure what they give away in the iOS versions

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 596775

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 14:29

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 14:29
Try HERE Maps which are free and provide direction, download the maps and away you go.

AnswerID: 596828

Reply By: Member - Lynton B (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 09:32

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 09:32
I want to thank sincerely all who replied to my query. All were very helpful. For your information I have downloaded MetroView and it works a treat - at least serves my purposes very well. I have Hema maps downloaded for rural and country navigation. Thank you all again. Regards. Lynton
AnswerID: 596889

Reply By: Member Kerry W (WA) - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 11:50

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 11:50
Hi Lynton, Have a look at Waze - may be a good addition. Waze gives voice guided navigation but also provides real time traffic information. Links in with Google traffic so you get alerts about hold ups, heavy traffic etc etc and also re routes you around these if needed - gives you updated ETA constantly - free in the app store... great tool.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 596898

Sponsored Links