Munga Thirri camping permit.

Submitted: Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 21:54
ThreadID: 131716 Views:2514 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
One of our trips this year is to the Simpson Desert, planning on a double crossing as we will leave the camper trailer at Mt. Dare if possible, and this way we can see a different view going over and coming back. Booked a Desert parks pass, no worries its valid for 12 months. Thought we should also book for Munga Thirri as you never know where you may have to camp. QNPWS booking site wants the exact date you might camp in and depart from this area? As we are travelling without exact dates and times (will be there "sometime" in April) this is not possible. What do others do? Just not camp in the park and continue on to Birdsville? Camp without a permit? Can probably book over the Sat phone when in the park, but how are you supposed to "print out your permit" and display it at your campsite? This looks like being an ongoing problem in Queensland as we plan to carry on sightseeing all the way up to cape York, again with no set itinery or time frame. Guess its just play it by ear as we go and enjoy it however the camping situation turns out.
Cheers, Mark.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 22:33

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 22:33
Why don't you ring Don Rowlands, the ranger in Birdsville(07 4656 3272), when you get to Mt Dare? You could get a camping permit, if you need one, faxed there..........or emailed.

Haven't been across that part, but doubt if you couldn't get a good camp site somewhere.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596802

Follow Up By: Member - kimberleybloke - Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 22:43

Monday, Feb 29, 2016 at 22:43
Thanks Bob, yes I don't think there would be any problem with overcrowding!

Mark.
FollowupID: 865764

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 13:01

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 13:01
We did not see another car/person in five days driving from Old Andando to Poeppel Corner. Not crowded is an understatement.

Phil
FollowupID: 865781

Reply By: Members - Bow & Nan - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 08:10

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 08:10
Camp without a permit
AnswerID: 596814

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 11:16

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 11:16
'
Hi Mark,

Neither 'Vehicle Access Permit' nor a 'Camping Booking' or permit is required for Munga Thirri NP.
There are no structured campsites and 'bush camping' is permitted only within 500m of the track.
As you are aware, a Desert Parks pass is required for the SA section and similar camping is permitted.

The Queensland permit booking system is onerous but thankfully applies only to specific popular campgrounds. We avoid them.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 596821

Follow Up By: Member - kimberleybloke - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 12:41

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 12:41
Thanks for reply Allan, have got the Desert Parks Pass ordered, just wasn't sure about the Qld. section. Will deal with other NP campgrounds as we go along, or use the commercial camping areas.
Cheers, Mark.
FollowupID: 865779

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 13:02

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 13:02
Mark, the whole matter of permits, whether they be Native Lands or National Parks, is difficulty in their administration, particularly of determining the accurate date of arrival.
As a consequence I have adopted a strategy of nominating my best guess on the application then not worrying if it turns out to be inaccurate. At least I will have a permit and paid my fees. If challenged (I never have been) I will plead confusion of the actual date.

The tactic may be a problem with a numbered campsite but I rarely use them anyway, preferring bush camping or town private parks where I can get a decent shower.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 865782

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 16:44

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 16:44
Depending on your timing, following QAA Line you don't HAVE to camp in the QLD Simpson Desert Nat Pk (Munga-Thirri), if you camp say near Poeppel Cnr its a fairly easy drive into Birdsville in a day.

There ARE fees payable to camp, but no fees to transit through . . .

Munga_Thirri Camping
Munga-Thirri Fees

$5.95 pp a night, it's just a PITA amount to pay for a nights camping out there, a PITA to deal with, fix date / pay online etc, the charge is fine, although there's no facilities whatsoever.
It's not eve na nice part of the track to camp on really, much nicer at the eat end of French Line, or back towards Adria Downs property (although camping there is not generally allowed).
FollowupID: 865786

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 17:46

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 17:46
You are correct Les re "fees to camp". I had either forgotten or more likely simply ignored the requirement. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 865789

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 22:03

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 22:03
Cheers Allan.
Yes, I feel most ignore the fees payable there, as it is really hard sometimes to pay them . . . online, travelling from the west, office in BV not staffed when coming through from that way.
Same for Adria Downs, we've camped just west of Eyre Ck, but always away form any stock (have never actually seen any in there on any crossings !) and we leave no trace.
FollowupID: 865808

Sponsored Links