GPS tracking devices

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 17:39
ThreadID: 131724 Views:3128 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I know there are gadgets like the "SPOT" etc which are great (I assume).

Having just spent a big chunk of my super on a caravan, even though it's fully insured, I'd like to fit a small device that can serve 2 purposes:

1). It would be able to keep track of how many kilometers we've traveled... great for servicing intervals etc and for being able to be able to confidently say (around the camp fire etc) how many klicks we've done in the last 12 months etc. Sort of a modern version of the "Hubometer" that semi trailers use.

2). It would plug into an onboard power supply (eg: a USB port which is constantly alive) and would be able to be remotely accessed on my mobile phone (as an example). I'm assuming this device (which would be hidden inside the van) would need an external antenna similar to the type that an onboard GPS inside a 4x4 would use). The one I had on my last rig (Landcruiser) was mounted on top of the snorkel and was about 40mm x 40mm x 15mm. In the event that the van goes missing I would be able to log-on to an app on my phone and hopefully I would learn its whereabouts.

I know there are gizmos on the market that can do these tasks, but I have zero idea of what brands are reliable or where to look. I do a lot of shopping on ebay, but there seems to be a lot of junky stuff from China on there which I'd be suspect about.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Roach
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 18:16

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 18:16
Hi Roachie,
We actually have been developing this for some time now (years). There have been some technical limitations for a while so we let it slide a while back but recently found the advancements in technology have caught up and now some of our ideas are indeed possible and we've been trialling some test devices based around the existing EOTrackMe software but with a custom device and a new program. We have some test devices available if you'd be interested to help us with this project? Drop us a line if interested. Assuming you are already a Member and have EOTrackMe it will be straightforward to get started.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 596836

Follow Up By: Roachie Silverado - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 19:30

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 19:30
Thanks Michelle,

I've just done a bit of reading about EOTrackMe and watched Pat's video which explained it even better.

I guess I will have to sign-up as a "proper" member.

Is the "custom device" a separate thing, or do I still need to buy a SPOT as well?

I will join first then correspond via MM if that's okay.

Cheers,

Bill
FollowupID: 865794

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 19:39

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 19:39
Yes we can chat via MM. But just to clarify, this requires the custom device which we are building so we will discuss sending you one of these to have a play with. We have already put the device in our luggage on a plane and tracked it on a secure page but it's not for public release yet. Yes much to talk about. Thanks :)
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865795

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 19:52

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 19:52
Okay Michelle, Thanks for that.....

I will just wait and see what happens.

There is no way I'm smart enough to be considered a "Beta tester" if that is in fact the correct term for a guinea pig...hahaha

Have now joined as a full member.

Cheers,

Bill
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 865799

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 20:00

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 20:00
No problem, in some ways guinea pigs are better as it brings up more realistic questions and issues that need to be solved to make it "user friendly" to the majority - and most of our market are not tech savy. This stuff is meant to be just easy. Turn it on and go.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865800

Follow Up By: Member BarryG - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 09:34

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 09:34
Hi Michelle,
I have built a GPS Tracker from a Jaycar kit. This is installed in my tow vehicle and records GPX data every 2 seconds, when the vehicle is running. Indicator lights show the status (waiting for fix, tracking, logging data, error, etc.) My setup should run for many years without running out of data storage (4GB SD card). However, I have to remove the card and put it into a laptop to see the track with OziExplorer.
In May, we will be leaving Anglesea (Vic) and doing a sort of clockwise loop of this big country over 4-5 months.
I too would be interested in being a tester for you. (My background is IT.)
Let me know if you want to proceed.
Barry
FollowupID: 865817

Follow Up By: Member - Muddy_Mux - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 17:52

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 17:52
Hi Michelle,

I’ve just seen this posting and I’m very interested in your new product. I’ve been using OziExplorer/EOTopo and EOTrackMe for a couple of years now and have been looking for a GPS logger/tracker. We’ve done a few short trips around lower WA but as we have just ordered our new van we intend to go much further afield.
I don’t suppose I could be guinea pig as well?

Cheers,
Kim
FollowupID: 865907

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 18:35

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 18:35
Hi Kim, I will send you the same info we'll send the others. Please give me a few days/a week to get the documentation together and we can go from there.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 865909

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 20:06

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2016 at 20:06
These look pretty good. I also looked into this but never bought anything.

It logs GPX ( Oziexplorer, Memory Map etc), KML ( Google earth etc), has Bluetooth connectivity to a smart phone and detects movement by vibration to start logging.

It is stand alone so you don't need to worry about whether your track is being logged.

I was very disappointed when I returned from a trip to find that 80% of my trip was lost on a certain tracking set up. :-( :-( and would not trust a remote logging system again. Similarly as you seem to have gathered, while a phone will track well, you have to manage the power set up.

AnswerID: 596841

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 07:38

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 07:38
Roachie, I have two of these, one for the trailer and one for the Nissan, have never used in anger, but seem to work well in the trials I have done. CCA Vehicle Tracker
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596849

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 10:43

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 10:43
John

Had a look at the site, but it is quite light on in detail. Can you elaborate from your experience.

Where do you put the device (inside/outside)?
Does it require an external antennae?
What is the monthly cost of the sim?
Does it require a constant external power source?
Does it draw much from your trailer battery when stored?
Can you programme the geofence and if so how difficult?

A lot of questions I know! But I'm sure others will also be interested.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 865818

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 11:18

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 11:18
Anthony, I installedmine inside the camper trailer, tested location first by putting mobile phone in place proposed and ringing it, all good. No external antenna, though the new model does have that a an option I think, maybe included, can't remember. I have wired mine into the main switch board, constant power when on, and battery back up if power is cut and doesn't use much power, I can not remember power usage. SIM is an ALDI $10 for 12 months, sms cost is reasonable given that you only use it if stolen, lost, etc. Geo Fence I can't remember, I am away atm, it is in the instructions at home. If you email Shane Hudson at ccatrackers@gmail.com I am sure he will answer any questions you may have. Hope this helps a little.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 596850

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 11:33

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 11:33
Thanks for that John.

Info provided makes me more interested. I will email to get more info?

I like to get some first hand experience from users to try and avoid some of the sales pitch. I've been bitten in the past were salesmen/women will ensure their product meets your "exact need" only to get it home and find it won't.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 865819

Follow Up By: PhilD - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 23:51

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2016 at 23:51
It appears to need 3G reception to work, whereas the SPOT works anywhere off the satellites. So, it all depends on where you want to be as to what device suits.
FollowupID: 865840

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 12:10

Thursday, Mar 03, 2016 at 12:10
Yeah, google SPOT TRACE.
The annual sub is now about AUD 140.

I use the CCA on the CT. It does the job but for the GEOFENCE to work it needs the external aerial installed somewhere outside the body and that's not easy to do with this trailer. Yes, it needs a mobile reception area. Sooner or later a thief will drive into one. You can't use it for asset logging.
FollowupID: 865873

Reply By: Member - MARIC - Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 21:57

Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 21:57
We use www.findandfollow.com.au gps tracker hidden inbuilt in van and $10 per quater for monitoring services
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597080

Sponsored Links