Station stays - Wilcannia to Bourke

Heading up the Darling in a couple of months, from Wilcannia to Bourke via Tilpa and Louth. Looking to use station stays for a few nights on the way - any recommendations?
Thanks
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 23:48

Friday, Mar 04, 2016 at 23:48
Warrawong on the Darling near Wilcannia always gets good reports Max.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 596999

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 02:19

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 02:19
Haven't stayed at either, but Trilby Station (where a recent ExplorOz gathering was held), and Kallara Station are well known.

This site Outback beds - Darling River Run might be of use.
AnswerID: 597003

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 06:44

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 06:44
Hi Wildmax,

I have stayed at both of the following stations - Warrawong on the Darling and Trilby (for the ExplorOz gathering a few years ago) and I can recommend both.
Warrawong (close to Wilcannia) offers a choice of caravan park type sites with power and water, close to a modern amenities block as well as riverside bush camps. We stayed a night in a powered site last year on our way back from the West

Trilby,not far from Louth, is lovely with lots of private, well spaced riverside bush campsites which suit a variety of vehicles and have fireplaces and there are also powered sites close to the Shearers quarters and amenities. There are some great self drive tours around the property and Liz is a friendly host. We stayed a week in one of the riverside sites at the gathering and loved it.

I haven't stayed at any others as yet, but have a trip with friends planned in the future similar to yours.
regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 597005

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 09:22

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 09:22
Hullo Wildmax

We have stayed at Idalia Station, downstream from Trilby. on the western bank.
Good facilities, grassed area on the banks of the Darling with room for about 6 vans (might be more now), fire pit on the top of the bank with wood supplied.
Friendly, helpful owners. One very reliable indicator for me is how people treat their dogs and how the dogs got on with their owners. In this case - excellent! :-)
Fewer people which we like.

The little van site next to the pub in Louth was most enjoyable for a night with the locals.

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 597009

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 17:28

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 17:28
We have stayed at all the ones mentioned. Except Idelia as it had a power problem. Another one we stayed at was Nelia Garri which has an unbelievable bush camp with long drops and hot showers using riverwater. Each station has their own identity but all were good.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 597030

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 21:21

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 21:21
Hi Wildmax,
We stayed at Tilpa near the Hotel, Idalia a great little spot near the river and Louth next to the Hotel a nice quiet spot $15 in 2012. We then stayed at Gundabooka NP also a nice quiet spot.
See you at Big Red.
Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 597043

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 22:54

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 22:54
Thanks everyone for your feedback; very helpful for our planning, and much appreciated.
Cheers
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597045

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 10:01

Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 10:01
Keep going north after Bourke, towards Thargomindah and stop at Hell's Gate and Kilcowera Station.

An interesting drive and iconic camping places.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866036

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 11:00

Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 11:00
Will certainly do that; enjoyed a few days at Kilcowera a couple of years ago, and a return visit is on the schedule !
Wildmax

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866039

Reply By: Maisie K - Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 11:16

Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 11:16
Sounds like the Darling trip this year is going to busy, we are heading that way April from Qld with a stop over at Boggabri for The Drovers Campfire week found it when I was doing some research for the Darling trip. Geoff who is a local of Boggabri is the founder of the Drover Campfire saw this as a way to attract travellers to his town. Congratulations and well done! Bob. K
AnswerID: 597062

Sponsored Links