Servicing instructions for Whale tippytoe water pump?

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 18:08
ThreadID: 131756 Views:2888 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have an old but new to me, Ultimate XTRK 1997 and on our recent week away we discovered the foot pump is no longer efficient. I purchased a kit but there seems no information about what sequence to do things or what to watch out for.
Does anyone have any experience in doing a service on these pumps?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 18:17

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 18:17
Not much use to you I guess, but on my 1998 Ultimate (which came with a tip-toe pump), I removed it and fitted an electric pump inside the rear, left compartment (which is where the water hose passes through). I could never go back to tip-toeing....but on the plus side; the water supply did seem to last a lot longer!!! hahaha

It was an easy job to do and I would recommend it to you.

If you want to keep the tip-toe I would imagine it should be a fairly basic job to dismantle it (after removing the whole thing from the floor). There would just be a diaphram inside that would need to be replaced I expect.

Cheers and good luck,

Bill
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597034

Follow Up By: Keven C - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 18:35

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 18:35
Thanks for the advice Roachie, I will try and keep with the tippytoe for the conservation of water. Have to keep 'responsible' in our uses of what is one of their smaller tank configurations, I think it is not much over 60ltrs in a plastic tank.
I will feel reasured and go for taking the whole thing out and go from there.
cheers
FollowupID: 866013

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie - Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 21:18

Saturday, Mar 05, 2016 at 21:18
One thing led to another and I ended up retro-fitting a 110 litre water tank in place of the 60 litre original. Ultimate sell this size tank now....I fitted it myself.
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 866019

Reply By: Keith H7 - Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 07:42

Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 07:42
http://caravansplus.com.au/pdf/whale_tiptoe_pump.pdf

AnswerID: 597051

Follow Up By: Keven C - Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 23:33

Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 23:33
Thanks Keith H7,
I have removed the pump and before doing anything else I tested it in the Kitchen sink, (the home of all good experimentation) . I found that the pump pumped equally both on the down and the up movement.
The result is, I looked under the van and found that the first u shaped clamp holding both inlet and outlet hoses had seemed to clamp down more on the inlet than the outlet, whee i replaced those drive clips and also attempt to remove the pressure on the first clamp.
The next step is to find a replacement for the outlet flange that matches what I cave come to believe to be is an Imperial Thread, not the common metric.
Step one and then step two or in mycase step two is contingent on completing step one.... that is the product of enthusiasm and not much experience.
FollowupID: 866061

Reply By: Member - Ian G (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 20:36

Sunday, Mar 06, 2016 at 20:36
G,day Keven C,

Many moons ago when we had the first of our three ultimates, our foot pump packed it in when we were camped on the Tanami.

We had a sattelite phone (no mobile service back then) and I phoned Ultimate and explained the problem.

The service manager rang me back and talked me through how to fix what he thought the problem may be. And I mean he stayed on the line whilst I removed, dismantled, reassembled and re installed the pump. Dirt and lint/hair was the problem.

Roachie could probably attest to the level of my " fix it " skills so this was a great service from Ultimate.

I'm sure if you give them a call they will be more than willing to assist you.

Regards,

Ian
AnswerID: 597078

Sponsored Links