Colorado Comments Please !

Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 15:38
ThreadID: 131776 Views:3175 Replies:5 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
No I'm not buying one, but a new one has come into our group and I'm am planning some seroius tests for it on our 4wding property.
Its a dual cab , lower spec model , brought on the generous tax breaks available but I don't want to break it.
We recently did over a ford ranger auto and apart from having lots of scratchable plastic it proved better than expected thanks to traction control etc.
The Colorado looks the goods and has claimed 500nm of torque and several features which seem to make it good value, but wether they really work as claimed is to be determined.
So , any weak points , or areas you think we should pay attention to ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 16:12

Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 16:12
Gday Robin
Do you need a Toyota as a rescue vehicle , just in case .
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597120

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 17:01

Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 17:01
I don't know - who pays for the coffees while I wait.

Its angles didn't look that good @ 30/22/23 and then I find out that's when its unloaded !
Still it has a longer wheelbase than our cars Muz.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866114

Reply By: Idler Chris - Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 17:07

Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 17:07
Hi Robin, As you know I have just brought a D-Max which has some similarities with the Colorado. The reasons I choose the D-Max over the Colorado were
1. Looking at forums and a test drive lead me to believe that the D-Max seems to be more reliable and robust.
2. The Colorado drives like its a petrol vehicle (I know a huge plus for you) whereas the D-Max feels and performs like a diesel.
3. I got a much better deal on a D-Max,
I have not had the D-Max long enough to compare it with my previous vehicle, a Toyota 100 series TD with twin lockers. My expectation and first impression is that the D-Max is slightly better than the 100 series with the camper on the D-Max and much better with the camper off.

In summary for the D-Max getting around your place would be a doddle.

In respect to departure angles off the showroom floor the D-Max was the same. But I now have bigger tyres, suspension upgrade, and a shortist tray not a tub. I don't have the vehicle at the moment to measure but my departure angle would be considerable better especially the rear departure angle which is at least double standard and more likely treble the angle.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597122

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 18:32

Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 18:32
Thank Chris , I know very little about the Colorado/D-max , they seemed to be below the radar compared to the others.

I guess the D-max is lower powered than your cruiser , but maybe the power/weight ratio is much the same.

It would be fair praise indeed if time shows that your assessment of D-max (no-camper) betters your Cruiser.

I'm guessing that you got the 804mm tyres referred to in my Hankook post were for this car.
(I'm running 804mm as a daily now that I've won that posts battle.)

Your going to have to bring it up and show us ?

I note D-max is more truck like , have you had time to see if its more /less noisy than your 100 was.

Hope the build up goes as planned !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866117

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 17:26

Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 17:26
So , any weak points , or areas you think we should pay attention to ?

Yeah it's resale value. lol
AnswerID: 597124

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 18:35

Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 18:35
Hi Steve

Yeah they aren't hi-luxes are they.

Still for some of us it could be the last new car we buy if we keep it for 10 years and throwing it away then won't matter.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866118

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 19:03

Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 19:03
Yeah Robin my comment was tongue in cheek, the Colorado isn't a bad unit, but the wife drives it now and I have the 200. ;-)
FollowupID: 866121

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 19:39

Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 19:39
The D-Max I brought was the SX version. I did not want all the bells and whistles, give me put the key in the ignition anytime, without it at my age I would never know where the keys were. It comes with vinyl floors and I found out that there is a business in Dandenong that will fit formed carpets for around $700 and I thought this would be the first modification because of noise. However now that I have driven a few times its fairly quiet even with muddies on. Don't intend to put the carpet in now just maybe a few carpet squares. It will certainly be easier to clean.
As for taking it up to your place to show up the Patrol, we will talk about that at the next Coffee Club.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866124

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 20:15

Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 20:15
gday
Now Robin, there is a challenge from Chris. Could be a good dissapointing day out for someone ...
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597136

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 20:41

Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 20:41
Never dissapointing if we learn something Muz , I'm sure he would be interested in how his rear end leafs hold up compared to the long travel rear end on the 100 series.
(espically if its traction control could be turned on or off.)
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866129

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 21:10

Monday, Mar 07, 2016 at 21:10
Back springs are OME EL074R. These are rated to carry a constant 600kgs. Not much flex without the camper on, but then a lot less weight. Traction Control is on or off at the touch of a button. There is no lack of power and I agree with you that power to weight ratio would be similar. The published torque figure is 380 Nm it certainly feels much higher than this. It maybe that the torque curve is fairly flat and starts early. Be interested to hear how the Colorado goes at your place.

Chris

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866130

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2016 at 12:57

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2016 at 12:57
Think it's the same as the MU-X. The power starts at 1800 rpm and flat lines to 2800. It's only 380 Nm (for 3l) but is a good match with the Aisin auto trans and rarely feels breathless.
FollowupID: 866158

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2016 at 16:57

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2016 at 16:57
I have a SX Dmax , alloy tray , 2x Elockers , bar , winch , GVM upgrade plus some other stuff , tow a Tvan , over the weigh bridge it's about 2800kg , without the Tvan on the tow ball .
They go ok but that's all really , I have done some very steep tracks , I turn the TC off and use the lockers ,
CV very weak , same as Colarado , see if you can break a couple , I can't find any cromolly CV's
FollowupID: 866167

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Mar 08, 2016 at 19:01

Tuesday, Mar 08, 2016 at 19:01
I better not tell the new owner that Jack - I'm having enough trouble getting him to get it dirty as is !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866181

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 19:24

Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 19:24
hI Robin,
dont be too quick to dsicount a vehicle just because it has rear leaf suspension
remenber the little test we did at you place a few years ago.
I tend to remember it was the nissan that was spinning wheels.
BTW my young bloke has had 2 colorados a 3 litre manual and a 2.8 auto. both gave him no problems offroad around the farm or on shooting trips
he brought an auto last time because he was unhappy with fuel usage
he recently sold his last one as he now has a work supplied 200 series LC which he reckons is nearly as fuel efficent on trips
the colorado had remapped ecu and big exhaust and shat on my 79 v8 as far as on road performance..
we hope to be in Vic late april
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866244

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 19:46

Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 19:46
Good to hear from you Howard , actually I did forget , but I always seek to back up theory with tests , so I hope I would have re-learnt.

If I remember right , you had no lockers at time , and I had to engage both lockers to follow you.

Then I went back to shed and dropped my sway bar links and still had trouble going where you went despite my much longer travel - I think we concluded that your longer wheelbase meant you could straddle a depression I couldn't - maybe I dreamt that.

Sounds like a lot happening your way, and I'd be happy if someone wants to test a 200 series at same time.

Down here its just begun to rain here after a big dry , and this weekend there is a big winch challenge ,and kids are building a new car overnight which has to be scrutineered to-morrow morning so lots of fun going on.

Keep in touch !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866245

Reply By: Hoyks - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2016 at 11:37

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2016 at 11:37
Bolt some solid side steps/rock sliders to it (not the rubbish ally ones). Dual cabs are long and relatively low, so it isn't hard to crunch a door sill. A mate did it with a Rodeo on a relatively benign piece of track when he ran over a branch and it flicked up. I did it to my BT50 driving through mud that some muppet dropped sections of logs into.

Repair is rather expensive and the steps were not much more than my excess. They also stop rocks flicking off the front wheels and peppering the sills
AnswerID: 597179

Sponsored Links