One for the South Ozzies: Willow Springs to William Creek

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 06:49
ThreadID: 131792 Views:2335 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm receiving some mixed messages regarding driving times from Willow Springs (Skytrek) and William Creek South Australia.
Ok, I'm well aware of the variables that occurs with road conditions and we are not in a rush but with 3.5hr difference in advice I was wondering what the facts are from those who have journeyed this way excluding stops. Blinman, Leigh Creek etc is the plan.

Cheers

dad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 08:35

Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 08:35
Hi Dad

Not quite sure what the 3.5 hours difference is?

Questions you should have told us is....have you been in that area before?

I would presume not, so seeing there are many great things to see in the area you are planning on travelling, I would allow 2 days, not including any detours to see Lake Eyre, otherwise longer.

Why so long you ask?

Lots to see in Blinman, Aroona Dam south of Leigh Creek, worth looking around Leigh Creek area, Ochre Cliffs outside of Lyndurst, great camping and so much to see at Farina, lots to see in Marree as well of many stops from Marree to Williams Creek.

If on the other hand, you are not worried about seeing many of the great "Must See " attractions along the way, it would be a long day's drive.

Not sure if that's what you are after or not.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597212

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 08:57

Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 08:57
Hi,
Willow Springs to Para. via Blinman about 1hr 45m
Para.to Marree about 1hr 45m
Marree to William Creek if the road has been graded 2hrs 45m
Total 6hrs 15m
If you were allowed to drive (not sure if the road is closed due to rain) to William Creek today it would take you closer to 5 to 10 hrs from Marree.
Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 597213

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:44

Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:44
You could do that in a comfortable day, which gives time to take it slower and care for the tyres on the stonier parts*. But even with a stop or two at a couple of the towns, you'll be passing by some of the greatest places that the Flinders has to offer.....it would be a pity to miss some quality time in the Bunyeroo / Brachina / Trezona precinct....but maybe you plan to come back again anyway. Brachina Gorge provides a run west to the highway, and is a far more impressive and geologically important drive than Parachilna Gorge (my humble view :-)......I hope the good burghers of Blinman don't take offense at my suggestion :-).

*In general though, all of the gravel roads on your route are first class unsealed (unless Hughie decides to have fun at your expense).
AnswerID: 597216

Reply By: dad1340 - Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 15:37

Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 15:37
Thanks for your help Guys,
We have been to this beautiful part of the world covering everything (except Skytrek) up to Lyndhurst.
I have experienced Google Maps before where time estimates are based on mathematics and sometimes "guesstimates" Going into Arkaroola last year for example the time given was 6.5hr so I rang the locals who advised much less. When we hit the dirt the road was a billiard Table like landing strip - another example of 'variables' that is part of the bush anyway.

We will have a good look around Marree, The Bubbler area and so forth.
We also have a flight booked from William Crk to have a peep at Lake Eyre. Another one off the Bucket List :)

Local information works, thanks again South Ozzies

Cheers

dad
AnswerID: 597218

Reply By: Dion - Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 23:53

Thursday, Mar 10, 2016 at 23:53
I've taken six days previously just to cover Marree to Oodnadatta (402km).
It was in August. No rain, road was brilliant. Just so much to see. One of the days, we only covered 29km!
There are a lot of 'tear-arses' about though, they want to get to where they think you are going, before they think you will get there. Even thought he road can be in good enough condition to do 100km/h in places, why rush? Me and Mr 'tear-arse' would probably use the difference of 20L of diesel fuel between the two places (Marree and Oodnadatta) - in my favour, but I get to take in a lot more, and a lot less stressed, and I'm still on the 'cradle' side of 50.
AnswerID: 597226

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 09:51

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 09:51
Hi Dion like ya attitude .Hope it rubs off on me.I started working in Outback at young age.We got to drive Landcruisers and off course drove them as hard and fast as we could.Sometimes 3 hr drive to get to start of work so .Quicker we got there we could have more time having a billy and faster we worked we could have break to find some shade or somewhere to swim.I have owned 2 petrol guzzler Landcruisers and now own Hilux and going to go around Oz so I will try to take it easy and like you said save plenty of fuel too.I am 54 now and used to drive non stop from Mt.Gambier to Balgo Hills in Tanami Desert.So I think now time to smell the roses and just cruise along in no hurry cheers
FollowupID: 866252

Reply By: dad1340 - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 08:29

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 08:29
G'day Dion,
I can't agree more with your "take your time and see things" approach. A breath of fresh air from a youngster. However, I love to plan and research the area's we go to. Thus the question so we are not on the Track at 'Roo Time' We spent 2 weeks covering the Flinders and still have to go back on our way to the Simpson. The old army saying PPP = PPP works for us.
This tear-arse speed thing surfaced during our Simpson crossing research that you would have loved. I was asked the question "why are you taking 6 days to cross?
(the wife is into photography for a book - the questioner didn't know of course)
The questioner continued ... "I left Birdsville, slept in the drivers seat that night and had a beer in my hand at Mt Dare late arvo the next Day" ....
As the Monty Python team said . . . "say no more"

Cheers

dad
AnswerID: 597229

Follow Up By: Dion - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:41

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:41
I can believe people would do that, but why?? There is no enjoyment in that.
I could also spend five or six days crossing the Simpson and still have a beer in my hand each night.
FollowupID: 866257

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:47

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:47
Wow drive all that way and end up at a pub .I wonder why spend all that money ?Is it bucket list thing ...I be happy to spend as much time out there.I was lucky lived and worked out in Simpson ...cheers
FollowupID: 866258

Sponsored Links