Has this topic ever been discussed.Sunglasses.

Submitted: Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:31
ThreadID: 131801 Views:4124 Replies:17 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering what everyone wears driving around in our sun drenched country ..Be good if I posted something new.Be a first for me ha ha ha
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:39

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 10:39
Prescription sunglasses Stephen. Almost better than sliced bread, and I wear them all day, every day..............except when I'm having a conversation with someone. :-)

Do a bit of casual truck driving, 15hr days, and rarely get sore eyes now.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597236

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:09

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:09
Good on ya Bob .I hate it when people talk to you and they do not take Sunnies off.Ok I suppose if out in bright sun and both people wearing them ...cheers
FollowupID: 866260

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:26

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:26
Like Bob, I wear prescription sunglasses as I suffer with glare. They are great.
I try to remember to remove them when talking to someone but sometimes need to keep them on because of glare so make an apology.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 866263

Reply By: TomH - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:27

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 11:27
Used to have an additional pair of prescription sunglasses but due to cost now use a $20 set of clipons. Works as well and more to spend on necessary things like beer.

Whatever you wear make sure they are polarised
AnswerID: 597240

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:23

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:23
Gday
I wear "safety sun glasses" supplied by my son who works outside most of the day. I did wear prescription sun glasses for many years , but since have had new eyes fitted .
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597242

Reply By: sastra - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:43

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:43
After having worn prescription glasses with transition lenses whilst driving and feeling I could still do with a darker tint, I was told by the optometrist at the next checkup that the transition action is negated by the fact of the light entering through the front windscreen.
Now have prescription sunnies for driving and problem solved.
This downside of transition lenses was not explained initially and hopefully I am not the only ignorant one, doh!
AnswerID: 597243

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:57

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 12:57
That's why I went away from transition lenses too, Sastra. They were okay in my previous life, working outdoors most of the time, but as you said bloody hopeless in a vehicle. Especially travelling in western Qld, where glare is extreme!

Tom's clip-ons are okay, and certainly cheaper(!!!), but I prefer the sunnies for my work.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866265

Follow Up By: Blown4by - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:50

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:50
I was told the same as sastra by my optometrist, however I have been wearing transition lenses while driving for 43 years and I find they work OK for me. The 'eye people' will also tell you that clip-ons are useless when worn over transition lenses. I reckon that is bs and find my polarised clip-ons worn over the transition lenses work very well in the reduction of glare. As with some of the later posts I also feel that using the sunnies somehow makes your eyes more susceptible to light as I find the more I use them the more I feel like I need them.
FollowupID: 866350

Reply By: Nargun51 - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 13:21

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 13:21
I got my licence 2 days after I turned 18 (more than 40 years ago). For my birthday present, my mother gave me a pair of Ray Ban ‘Classic’ Aviators with polarized optical glass lenses.

I'm now on my 4th pair (1 stood on, 1 stolen and 1 smashed after disappearing though an open window after sliding across the dash during some particularly energetic cornering).

Love them, not heavy, no thick frames or arms to get in the way, sit comfortably across my face and can be bent to shape, pretty much scratch and breakage proof (in normal usage) and of timeless, simple design.

The downside is that they do cost a bit, but at an average of more 13 years use each pair, cheaper in the long run than Petrol station or Chemist specials. I also had to get a different screen protector of a new phone, as the one I originally purchased was also polarized, but at 90 degrees to my glasses.

I refuse to buy the ones with reflective lenses as I consider it insulting talking to people when you can’t see their eyes and would be a hypocrite to insult those talking to me.
AnswerID: 597244

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 14:22

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 14:22
Used to but gave them up , now prefer to wear sun hat and/or keep sunvisor down.

Then I needed reading glasses and found that sun hat does more things like keeping rain of lenses as well.

P.S. For those who need both sunglasses and reading glasses so you can see the GPS on the dash the following is a great and cheap product.
Its only top tinted so you don't loose light when you look down

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/G-G-Men-Bi-focal-Reading-Glasses-Clear-Lens-Tinted-Gift-Dad-1-5-2-0-2-5-/131184610313?var=&hash=item6436de0bb3
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597246

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 19:48

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 19:48
I'm with you Robin, wearing a hat with a decent brim solves many other problems such as reducing skin cancers. Guess I'm fortunate that I rarely suffer from headaches, let alone sun induced ones. I don't ski, I understand sunnies are important for that.

When doing photography with a rotating polarising lens, you see how a polarising lenses can make a big difference to the "quality" of a photograph. But I find glasses a PIA

No doubt sunnies do reduce some eye cancers and the best protection is sunnies and a hat with a brim, but so many people seem to dispense with a hat when they have their sunnies on.

Don't most windscreens have some type of filter or tint in them anyway, unlike the plain old non tinted non laminated windscreens prior to the 1980's?
FollowupID: 866328

Reply By: kgarn - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 16:18

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 16:18
One of the problems I have experience with polarised sunglasses is that they often make it impossible to see a lcd screen (eg navigator or rear view, computer etc ) unless you twist your head 45/90Deg !!!

Ken
AnswerID: 597249

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 18:34

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 18:34
If they do that the glass in the unit is incorrectly installed

In the buses I used to drive all but one were fine but that one the glass looked black unless as you say you turned your head. Was the unit not the glasses

As for transition lenses they only darken in DIRECT SUNLIGHT hence when driving they dont because the sun is not shining on them Simples
FollowupID: 866325

Reply By: Member - wicket - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 17:37

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 17:37
these lenses look interesting, might have a closer inspection next time a new set of specs are due

http://www.drivewearlens.com/
AnswerID: 597256

Follow Up By: Lachie - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 15:32

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 15:32
Have been wearing these for a few years now as my prescription sunglasses. Super clear. Front windscreen doesn't effect them as normal transition sunglasses.
Lachie
FollowupID: 866419

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 17:47

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 17:47
I wear Oakleys because they're as durable as they come, the glare reduction is excellent without altering the outlook, the lenses are replaceable (I manage to scratch any lenses within a few weeks of owning them!), and they also look cool!

Spent a few years wearing Carreras - but found the designs changed so much they ended up looking completely unattractive to me.
Originally they were good sunnies with excellent glare reduction - and that's one of the first things I look for in sunnies.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 597257

Reply By: Trekka273 - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 18:13

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 18:13
While far from cheap, I have found Maui Jim sunglasses to be fantastic. They have polarised lenses, fantastic lens quality, a large range of different styles and you can get them in prescription lenses. Depending on the style that you desire, they can also be exceptionally lightweight. Like I said, they are from cheap, but with the problems I have with my eyes (pupil stuck to Iris so it won't change size, cataract forming, etc), I won't use anything else now.
AnswerID: 597259

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 19:30

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 19:30
Polarised prescription. $$$ but you can't beat them - on the road, on the snow, on the water, on the beach, fishing.

Only downside, as someone mentioned, polarised lenses affect viewing LCD screens, like the GPS.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 597260

Follow Up By: Gronk - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 20:08

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 20:08
Why prescription ??? is that only because you need glasses for normal sight ??

Polarised for me....and have found brand didn't matter.
FollowupID: 866282

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 20:24

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 20:24
Hi Gronk,

"Why prescription ??? is that only because you need glasses for normal sight ??"

Yes

I agree, polarised are best, prescription or not. Some people may not like them - horses for courses.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866283

Reply By: Geepeem - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 09:05

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 09:05
For me this is a timely post as I am interested in getting a good pair of sunglasses. Considering Blue Block.
In every issue of "The Road Ahead" there is a full page ad for Blue Block sun glasses (not available in shops, only mail order). Their ad reads very convincingly (on the science behind their glasses) and testimonials from truck drivers, doctor, commercial fishermen etc are powerful. But has anyone tried these glasses. I would appreciate an independent opinion. Thanks for any comments.
AnswerID: 597271

Follow Up By: toffytrailertrash - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 09:27

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 09:27
I have purchased a pair of Spotters with the Halide lenses and they are absolutely brilliant.

Cheers

Merv
FollowupID: 866294

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 09:40

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 09:40
If the Blue Block glasses were so good, they would be available everywhere.

The old saying....if it sounds too good.....!!!

I used to have Bolle and Oakley glasses, but nowadays just buy a couple of pairs off ebay to the style that suits me......but they must be polarised.....and I check when they arrive.

Having dark window tint on the 4wd makes a BIG difference to me as well for glare !!
FollowupID: 866296

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 09:55

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 09:55
Hiya Toffy those Spotter sunnies have huge range never heard of them.I live to buy a pair but bit expensive if you lose em ..Wonder why sunnies are so expensive.I used Bolle and Oakley before but either lose em on sit on them so expensive pastime.
FollowupID: 866299

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 18:39

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 18:39
They are c**p As said if they were so good they would be in shops.

I would never buy anything out of those ads . How do you know the testimonials are genuine.

FollowupID: 866326

Follow Up By: Geepeem - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 19:22

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 19:22
Well you don't TomH know they are genuine testimonials. That's exactly why I am asking on this forum!
It is an old marketing trick to give away free an item on the basis they write a positive testimonial.
I am well aware of that.
But I am also interested in facts. Cam you please elaborate on why you believe they are c**p.
Did you own a pair and find them no good. I would like some more information please.
Cheers.
PS In todays digital era I don't believe that because they are not in the shops they makes them no good. Its hard to break into the distribution network and some even charge you shelf space in their shops. Some times a business model that sells over the internet, mail order, or social media is the best way to go. I am not saying they are good or bad but just making an enquiry.
FollowupID: 866327

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 11:23

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 11:23
I have tried a few, uptill recently I liked Raybans, but have recently
changed to Mua Jims polarised, find these are excellent glasses
and don't distort colours like the Raybans. Wouldn't use anything
else now.

Only downside is they are laminated glass and if you drop then on a
hard surface you can delaminated the lenses.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597276

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 11:36

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 11:36
They look good too nice designs.but again expensive but if glass harder to scratch unlike the plastic ones...cheers
FollowupID: 866306

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 14:56

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 14:56
I like something that wraps around the side of the eyes to stop glare from the side. Also something lightweight and polarised.

Favourite was Oakley Icepick with Bronze Lenses, but they dont make them anymore. I have now swapped to Maui Jims.

Expensive, but very comfortable to wear, no strain on eyes when driving, good clour for dusk driving as well.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 597279

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 16:48

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 16:48
It used to wear sunglasses until one morning when I was driving to work on a very dull day & realised I had them on. I couldn't believe how sensitive to glare the sunglasses had made my eyes. I pretty much haven't worn any since & that was about 40 years ago which has included many years of dinghy & keel boat sailing.

AnswerID: 597284

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 17:32

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 17:32
Interesting Shaker I worked out in Simpson Desert and Lake Eyre.My bosses were from England .One told me he worked in Sahara Desert and all the local labourers they used had eye problems .I never wore sunglasses or even a hat or clothes sometimes working in 40 and above temperatures.But from that day onward wore sunglasses and hat and long sleeved shirt..cheers Interesting to see if any studies have been done on this subject ...
FollowupID: 866323

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 21:04

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 21:04
Pretty much conclusive that humans don't like full sun.

You'll always hear stories of african tribes who have lived in the desert for generations....but they'll never tell you of the eye problems.

FollowupID: 866331

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderers - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 23:42

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 23:42
Can't beat el-cheapo's from ALDI, comes out every winter for skiers, $10, I get 3 prs for the year

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866338

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 23:48

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 23:48
Aldi takes an hour to get in ha ha ha We just had one open here in S A near my house Not sure if they will sell them.as only small shop but there a couple more opened up as well .I shall check them out thanks.I just used to buy from.Bunnings but they stop selling the ones I like only 12 bucks ...
FollowupID: 866339

Follow Up By: Geepeem - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:17

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:17
I tend to agree with you shaker as I had a similar experience. They more I protect my eyes the more protection they need. Thus I try to build some resilience by only using sunglasses in extreme glare situations. I never wear by habit every day when outdoors or when driving. In most cases I find the tinted windows on 4x4 is adequate for the majority of situations.
FollowupID: 866346

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 12:34

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 12:34
Geepeem its not only UV that stuffs eyes up its heat and dust.Later in life develop cataracts.A lot of boiler makers and farmers develop them too much exposure to heat .My dad a farmer and Engineer , neighbour Boilermaker ,my mate the farmer all suffered from cataracts ..
FollowupID: 866352

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 15:39

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 15:39
First started to wear decent sunglasses when I moved to the Top End. Back then before the dollar was floated they were Zeiss, glass lenses, available in various grades of tint. Since then have tried Raybans and various other expensive brands as well as Polaroid brand during cash strapped times. Alternated between metal frames which get twisted out of shape and plastic frames which snap when your young kids grab them or you lift them up to carry them. Recently, best thing I found was a brand called Ugly Fish which were available with a bifocal magnifier, ugly as, but wrap around and great for reading dashboard instruments. I now wear prescription bifocal sunglasses. Didn't mind clip-ons though, my personaI hate is fitovers, sister and BIL love them. Afaik the reasons for sunnies is to block uv (Pterygiums) and infra red (cataracts). The reason transition lenses are ineffective for driving is that the colour change is triggered by uv and since windscreens became laminated, the plastic layer sandwiched between the glass sheets blocks the uv. Constantly wearing sunglasses for the last 35 years has made my eyes sensitive to glare, but I find that they can readjust within a day or so if I leave my sunnies behind, the upside is that I'm now in my 60's with no sign of cataracts as yet.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597316

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 22:28

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 22:28
Your eyes don't toughen up or develope resilience if you don't wear sunnies - you are going blind. When the eye is exposed to bright light the pupil constricts. Light adaptation through the pupillary reflex takes seconds. UV light entering the eye will cause cataracts and can cause melanoma of the iris. You will also fry your rods and cones. Wearing sunnies is as important as wearing hat, shirt etc.
I have worn Wayfarers since the early 90's. Tough as. Never scratch. Magnificent lenses and I like the green tint. Still have original pair.
Now that I am nearly as blind as a welder's dog (through aging and associated activities) I have found that a mild correction helps me driving/flying. At night the tail lights of cars in front of me used to look like a red kaleidoscope! I have tinted Nikes for day (same lens colour as my beloved Wayfarers) and clear Ray Bans at night.
I still need a higher correction for reading maps and the dials.
AnswerID: 597362

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 22:59

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 22:59
Thank you E...Bob some one who makes sense.I try and wear sunnies that wrap.around as side glare really makes me crazy.Also I used to work out in bush and dust was a killer too so sunnies stopped sandblasting of my eyes ..cheers P.S in Nepal where I lived for awhile cataracts were very common the sun can be intense being at high altitude and closer to equator.I got bloody sunburnt something I never expected and that was after I spent time in Tanami Desert and Katherine..
FollowupID: 866410

Sponsored Links